Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just removed some tt tips off/out of my transom...and glassed the holes in. Do I need to worry about the glass shrinking? I probably wouldn't ask but a season or so ago I glassed the back/top of my transom where a prior owner had butchered it. A couple months went by and I could see the pattern of the glass cloth projecting through my fresh white paint. I also removed/glassed 2 pop up cleats off the back of the boat a few months later.....in the right light I can see those patches now also. The cleat issue MAY be from primer shrinking.....don't think that's the case with the other repair though.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just removed some tt tips off/out of my transom...and glassed the holes in. Do I need to worry about the glass shrinking? I probably wouldn't ask but a season or so ago I glassed the back/top of my transom where a prior owner had butchered it. A couple months went by and I could see the pattern of the glass cloth projecting through my fresh white paint. I also removed/glassed 2 pop up cleats off the back of the boat a few months later.....in the right light I can see those patches now also. The cleat issue MAY be from primer shrinking.....don't think that's the case with the other repair though.
the ring you see is most likely primer shrink. pending primers out there your quality will differ. I have had good luck with duratec and ppg primers. i have used evercoat in the past with a slick sand but though the fill and sanding was good the suck back was bad.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The glass will show through the paint.. need to make sure you get a coupe of good coats of sanding resin over your patch, the resin will help fill in the weave. Also use gelcoat as the primer, easy sanding and covers great amd you can painty right over it.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Hey Sanger, what is sanding resin? I have been thinking of using gell coat as a primer on My projects, I just did not know if that was a viable option?...Hal

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hey Sanger, what is sanding resin? I have been thinking of using gell coat as a primer on My projects, I just did not know if that was a viable option?...Hal
Hey guy , many years ago we often used gell as a primer but ................depending on how many mills are sprayed it will eventually crack if sprayed way to thick ( mills ) considering primers like Duratec...................................can be applied , or sprayed up to 50 mills - wet on wet - on wet.................. like there surfaceing primer - 714-002, that comes in white , black , or grey ....... http://www.expresscomposites.com/duratec.html

·
Registered
296 Posts
With polyester resin you can add a surfacing agent (valspar makes some) doesn't take a lot, about equal parts surfacing agent (wax) to catalyst. When the resin kicks the wax is pushed to the top, this allows you to sand the resin a lot easier w/out build up on the sand paper. There are several race boats out there that have no paint or speed coat on the bottom, just a wax coat blocked out and then color sanded, they are slippery.

Using gelcoat for primer: gelcoat is a polyester product, and works great for primer. Get the boat straight shoot the gel coat and block the hell out of it. Here are a few pics of my Spectra, top and bottom were all done with gelcoat as a primer, guide coated and block, guide coated and blocked... repeat. Also prior to the "primer" the boat was taken down to bare glass on almost 90% of the entire surface. the first picture is after the bottom work was done, I resin coated and gave a final wax coat to seal everything up, this is what will keep the weave from transferring through the paint. Then the resin was sanded down with an 8" growler with 36 grit, then blocked out with 80. Gel coated, guide coated and then blocked with 150 almost to the point of seeing throug it. In the third picture down you can see how thin the gel coat is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hey guys , Sanger - Spectra ..... is really blowing smoke up your a$$ if he is telling you to use Gell coat as a Primer ~ considering a primer ......like Duratec is much easier to sand and is a high build primer for that type of application which basically is designed for dialing everything in . Quick mention , after everything is said and done .......if you decide to use a good - high - build - primer like ( Duratec ) You ~ in the long run will save yourself a dime...................just on sand paper alone , and why would you want to sand on such a hard surface such as .............gell coat ? ( resin -with a pigment )

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hey guys , Sanger - Spectra ..... is really blowing smoke up your a$$ if he is telling you to use Gell coat as a Primer ~ considering a primer ......like Duratec is much easier to sand and is a high build primer for that type of application which basically is designed for dialing everything in . Quick mention , after everything is said and done .......if you decide to use a good - high - build - primer like ( Duratec ) You ~ in the long run will save yourself a dime...................just on sand paper alone , and why would you want to sand on such a hard surface such as .............gell coat ? ( resin -with a pigment )
Hey there Ginger, nice to see you are so open to others opinions, never said that this was the only way to do a job, I was responding to a question and stated that this was how I did a specific job. I am very sorry if I hurt your feelings or something, you seem to be a bit high strung there. The shop where I learned this process has only been in the marine industry a couple of years (since 1954) so I will bow to your obvious superiority on this subject and direct any question on these boards to you.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Sanger /Spectra Sorry i hurt your feelings but the shop you got your advise from is really old school or to cheap to try something new considering Duratec ( primer ) has been around since............. i started in this industry at Thompson Boat Co well over 40 + years ago . Hey guy . it is really hard to think that anybody would still be doing it that way unless the bottom is going to be in Gell alone, (not a painted surface) along with adding so much X-tra work which means money plus time or should i say materials & labor and at a working shop no less wow ...........................i feel sorry for the customers . Once again i meant no harm by my posting but there is a easier way to go , and i apologize.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Offshore Ginger, we may have both got a bit touchy.. the process I showed pics of is not a simple repair job, and is not something that is done on every project. I appologize for my comments to you as they were not warrented and we have strayed way off the original premise of this thread.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Offshore Ginger, we may have both got a bit touchy.. the process I showed pics of is not a simple repair job, and is not something that is done on every project. I appologize for my comments to you as they were not warrented and we have strayed way off the original premise of this thread.
Its all good , and lets forget the past !!!! :))THumbsUp

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
How about primer??

Kreg unless you're on the way to the lake take your time. have a few beers, relax and enjoy watching next years lake water start to pile up :)devil
Hey Sleek......patients isnt my strongest point.lol
Gonna try to stick a few progress pics up.....I can see how gel or resin would be superior but I need all the help I can get with some surfacing primer...the boat has already been painted/repaired before. Also any good tips on how to get the old paint outta my hin number? It I could soften it up maybe I could scratch it out with a tooth pick or something? I dunno.:)Unsure
Font

Floor Automotive exterior Vehicle

Aerospace engineering Space Vehicle

Pics are obviously out of order ... My boat had some serious over and under hang or what ever you want to call it....had to add a little glass on the lower left corner....and sand the piss outta the right to flatten things out.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts