Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Amatuer
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a disclaimer I do not live near the ocean, but it is an offshore design. Not much is in the section and some may find this interesting, so why not.

I am building a Glen-L Bandido. I bought the plans, summer of 2006, https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=197

I started building in the summer of 2007 by tracing the full size patterns onto OSB.

I traced and cuttout 8 stations(frames) from OSB. Here are a few of them. All of which will be removed from the boat during the course of the build.

By summer of 2008, I started on the building form in my backyard and started to mount up the frames.

I then started on the permanent bulkheads and the transom

And then onto the building form.

Progress has been slow, but fun. I am in no hurry and figure on 4 more years for the build. Next up is the Keel.

·
Registered
917 Posts
That is a very ambitious project! Please keep posting, I'd love to see your progress. Tell us more about it (dead rise, hull material, layup, power, drives, etc.)

·
Amatuer
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a very ambitious project! Please keep posting, I'd love to see your progress. Tell us more about it (dead rise, hull material, layup, power, drives, etc.)
The hulll material is cold molded plywood, encapsulated in epoxy. It will have a layer of fiberglass using epoxy resin for abrasion resistance.

I have not decided on the powering options. Here are some of the specs.
Hull type: Full length deep vee with 22o min. deadrise with radiused keel section and double curvature, flaring topsides.
Length overall 30'-2"
Length waterline 24'-8"
Beam 8'-0"
Hull draft 15 1/2"
Displacement @ DWL 5350 lbs.
Hull weight 2700 lbs.
Hull depth 5'-0"
Freeboard forward 3'-3"
Freeboard aft 2'-10"
Height overall (to top of windshield) 6'-5"
Cabin headroom 4'-4"
Cockpit size 8'-0" x 6'-6"
Sun deck size 6'-0" x 6'-6"
Fuel capacity 140 to 220

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
WOW! Dude if you need an extra set of hands some day, let me know I'll take a drive, your a whole 17 mins from my work. BTW I just washed the suburban sure you don't want it.lol

·
Amatuer
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
WOW! Dude if you need an extra set of hands some day, let me know I'll take a drive, your a whole 17 mins from my work. BTW I just washed the suburban sure you don't want it.lol
Re: suburban.
My wife wanted a newer vehicle so we pulled the trigger on a 1999 Suburban for her.

I could of used your help on lifting the transom onto the building form. That transom weighed 112 pounds on a bathroom scale. My ground is uneven as you can see, so I had to lift the transom even further at the back. It was heavy, but I did not dare let that thing drop. I was sore, especially my hand hurt(thought I might have broken it), for a couple of days. Not too smart.

·
Amatuer
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd give ya a hand, just to check that out. I thought I was out of control.
When people ask what it is I am doing in my backyard, and I tell them, they think I am certifiably crazy. At least, that is the look I get from them.

·
Some guys never learn.
658 Posts
Just something to think about. The windshield in the line drawing while functional I'm sure, detracts from the lines of the boat. One of the boats in the pictures has no windshield at all and the boat looks sleeker. Maybe a lower profile windshield would be a good compromise between the two.

·
Amatuer
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Just something to think about. The windshield in the line drawing while functional I'm sure, detracts from the lines of the boat. One of the boats in the pictures has no windshield at all and the boat looks sleeker. Maybe a lower profile windshield would be a good compromise between the two.
I'm inclined to do away with it. Perhaps attempt whatever they call the type of windshield that is not glass but slopes up its still part of the deck/dash, like a cigarette top gun.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
AMM,

very cool project. Not sure if I had asked before, but where do you normally boat. I'm not sure, where in Utah, American Fork is located. The hull specs suggest it will do very well in lake conditions. The low "wind sheild" like a top gun would give it a very sleek look. I remember you asking about some drive options. For me , it would be a Merc/ Bravo set up (#1 choice), or, the twin outboard set up (#2 choice). The I/O set up is more family friendly, because you can add a stimstep and ladder if you want. We are always hanging out on ours when it's hot out. Be sure to keep us posted.

Darrell.

·
Amatuer
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
AMM,

very cool project. Not sure if I had asked before, but where do you normally boat. I'm not sure, where in Utah, American Fork is located.

Darrell.
American Fork is about 30 miles south of Salt Lake City.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...366427,-111.935577&spn=0.358893,0.878906&z=11

Utah Lake is the place where I go. Many locals think it is polluted, but it's just shallow and silty. There are several nicer lakes http://www.livelakeview.com/, but Utah lake is convenient. I can usually get to the harbour from my house in 5-10 mins.

·
world's oldest teenager
685 Posts
That is a very nice looking boat. I am sure you will enjoy using it when it is done, and there is nothing like the feeling of accomplishment of completing a major project like that.

I built an airplane (a Pitts Special) Biplane and got the same kind of you are crazy comments from on lookers.

Stay with it, it will be worth all of the blood sweat and $$$ when done.

Keep us posted on the progress.

David

·
Large Member
679 Posts
How is the build coming along? I built a Glen-L boat in High school. The 11' TNT. I wish I had the plans with all my notes. One small oversight. Almost sunk the boat on the maiden Voyage. Luckily we had enough life jackets in a friends boat to put under the bow to help keep it buoyant. I was able to repair it and get the motor running for the next summer. https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=365

·
Amatuer
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How is the build coming along? I built a Glen-L boat in High school. The 11' TNT. I wish I had the plans with all my notes. One small oversight. Almost sunk the boat on the maiden Voyage. Luckily we had enough life jackets in a friends boat to put under the bow to help keep it buoyant. I was able to repair it and get the motor running for the next summer. https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=365
Very cool on the TNT, but come on, we need the details. Did you forget the drain plug? At least share how fast it went?

Slowly I am making progress. Here is a picture of the stem and a picture of the beginnings of the keel, starting at the transom. I put the water level up there and it is dead on, so I was pretty pleased.

The stem is 4 layers of 1/2 thickness material, the keel will go the whole length of the boat and is also 4 layers of 1/2 thick material. So the keel will be 2inch think by 6 inch wide, while the stem will be 4 inches thick but tapers to 4 inches wide.

Attachments

·
Large Member
679 Posts
Very cool on the TNT, but come on, we need the details. Did you forget the drain plug? At least share how fast it went?

Slowly I am making progress. Here is a picture of the stem and a picture of the beginnings of the keel, starting at the transom. I put the water level up there and it is dead on, so I was pretty pleased.

The stem is 4 layers of 1/2 thickness material, the keel will go the whole length of the boat and is also 4 layers of 1/2 thick material. So the keel will be 2inch think by 6 inch wide, while the stem will be 4 inches thick but tapers to 4 inches wide.

Well It was an 11' boat. I could not get 12' sheets of plywood. So they had a way to join the pieces the make the sheet long enough. I did it incorectly. obviously. I had a 25 hp merc. I was fast. I didn't have a gps or anything so I have no idea how fast it was.

·
Not a Member
511 Posts
Amm,
Way to go. The project is looking good.
I have the same plans (the bandito). Have had them for 15 plus years.
Havent been brave enough to start the project.
Looking at your pictures has got me thinking.
Please keep us posted with updates. :)devil

1 - 20 of 36 Posts