Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the boat out yesterday. On the 6 (or so) mile ride back to the trailer I held her at WOT. This was just after sunset, so it was getting dark. Once I arrived I turned around to take a look at the engine and the headers were glowing bright orange! Is this normal, or is it an indication that the engine may be too rich or too lean or something? Timing is set at 36* @ 2000 rpm, creeping up to 38* at 5000rpm. I was turning 4500-5000 the whole time. Yes, the headers are run dry.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Not uncomon on dry headers. The gasses SHOULD BE anywhere from 1,000 to perhaps over 1,200 degrees F.

"Orange" is a steel temperature of 930*C

"Light Red" looks to my eye more like an "orange" orange (the fruit). 870*C

"Yellow" is 1050*C

Steel temperature color chart.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Mine are the same.

Car headers are worse since there is less air circulation.

On the turbo motors, it is not uncommon to be able to "see" the impeller on a hotrod turbo motor.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
my coated headers on my tx19 glowed alil, a/f was perfect.a proper a/f ratio will still make some egt.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
my coated headers on my tx19 glowed alil, a/f was perfect.a proper a/f ratio will still make some egt.
Oh yea,

Mine are coated as well.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
I think the guys standing to the right is going to be deaf.

Sleeper CP :D

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Not terribly uncommon on a long pull like that, but usually more indicative of raw fuel burning in the header pipe than too lean. A little rich = a little safe.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts

·
Bouncing off rocks
82 Posts
mine will do the same thing, be careful cause that will start to lift the coating off your headers at the flange, then it creeps up the pipe

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
.........usually more indicative of raw fuel burning in the header pipe that too lean.........
I am sure he meant THAN to lean, and only typo'd thaT unchained.

Also, that hot, the steel weakens under heat, and they will start to sag, sooner or later, under their own weight (unless you already have them braced).

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
I am sure he meant THAN to lean, and only typo'd thaT unchained.

Also, that hot, the steel weakens under heat, and they will start to sag, sooner or later, under their own weight (unless you already have them braced).
Pretty obvious what I meant....:)sphss (thanks Sarg...;))

1 - 14 of 14 Posts