Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am freshening up a SBC 400 for my fishing boat and have to replace the crankshaft due to rusty coupler splines from the out drive that used to live behind it. I recently replaced the starter with a top mount on my three point mount/bell housing. Since I have to have the crankshaft balanced I thought a change from a flywheel to a lighter flexplate would be in order. I don't intend to pull the engine until winter sets in. Does anyone know how many teeth are on the flexplate used with the top mount starter?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No but on an outdrive it causes the input shaft to push on the crankshaft when trimming and that will take out the thrust surface. I have determined that indmar used a 168 tooth 14" flexplate with the three point mount bellhousing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
877 Posts
You are correct on the 168 tooth count. May want to check transom flex-engine alignment before reinstallation as input shaft should never make contact with crankshaft

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How does one check engine alignment? I gave away my mercruiser alignment tool when I got back to a jet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I retained the right to borrow it back if I need it. What is the program on using it. Do you temporarily mount the suction housing without the impellor shaft and adjust mounts till the tool rotates smoothly like a mercruiser out drive?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Starter

Make sure the new starter your mounting on top is counter rotation too. 168 tooth internal balance I believe for the flywheel (no counter weight).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Already running the top mount starter. Don't want to go back to bottom mount. 400 sbc is external balance.

·
Some guy
3,610 Posts
Make sure the new starter your mounting on top is counter rotation too. 168 tooth internal balance I believe for the flywheel (no counter weight).
If it's a stock 400 crank it is externally balanced, and different than a 454 counter weight if I am not wrong.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Didnt realize you were putting the mercruiser motor in a jet. Pretty hard to align with 3 point mount. Up and down with an inclinometer. Side to side looking at 3 point flange alignment to jet housing or measureing off bellhousing bolts to sometbing on jet. Originally there was a tool that slid over the jet shaft and then it had a drill jig made into it to set tha front mounts. Havent seen one in over 40 years. Using that 3 point mount. Better make sure you have the right driveline length. Too short. You will bend the pump shaft. Too long. So long thrust bearing

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I should mention it has a 350sbc in her now but one of the vortex heads is cracked. I can't see throwing money at it when I have this 400 built by a NASCAR engine building buddy. We used the 153 tooth flywheel with the alpha out drive but it had a bottom starter. This engine pushed my heavy welcraft 60mph. Should push my new boat even faster since it weighs a ton less.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts