·
Registered
1,418 Posts
That would be a CORVETTE ZO-6 motor.

·
Registered
139 Posts
496 replacement

Amm, Is it a 496 replacement because they are discontinuing the line or for some other reason? I am glad to see the GM offering this Gen3 LS line to the Marine industry. I have known them as a proven powerplants Off-Road since 1999-2000 and they keep improving. There is certainly a growing aftermarket for them and parts & accessories.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
The Z06 is a 7.0L (427cid) naturally aspirated motor. 505HP
Yep. The Z06 is NOT a supercharged 6-litre. It's a very exotic titanium-rodded 427 small-block, normally-aspirated (fuel injected).

·
Amatuer
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amm, Is it a 496 replacement because they are discontinuing the line or for some other reason? I am glad to see the GM offering this Gen3 LS line to the Marine industry. I have known them as a proven powerplants Off-Road since 1999-2000 and they keep improving. There is certainly a growing aftermarket for them and parts & accessories.
Pg 19 of this document references some GM memo. http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/nonroad/marinesi-equipld/a1998a-f.pdf

GM has announced that it will discontinue production of the 4.3L and 8.1L engine blocks in 2009. GM anticipates that it will offer a 4.1L engine block and a 6.0L supercharged engine block to the marine industry as replacements. Full run production of these new blocks is anticipated in mid to late 2009

·
New here
4,219 Posts
It's the ZR-1, people. Supercharged corvette.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
The Z06 is a 7.0L (427cid) naturally aspirated motor. 505HP
Actually I should have stated that is NEXT years Corvette ZO-6 motor, this years is indeed NA, next years will be the SC version.

·
Rubbing is Racing!!
2,837 Posts
LSA is actually the motor going into the new Caddy CTS-V. 550hp/tq

Major difference betwwen the this motor and the one going into the ZR1(637hp) is the LSA will have the smaller 1900TVS blower compared to the TVS 2300 going on the vette.

The LSA is supposed to find it's way into a higher end camaro as well.

It would be a sick little motor for a light boat:)devil

·
Amatuer
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LSA is actually the motor going into the new Caddy CTS-V. 550hp/tq

Major difference betwwen the this motor and the one going into the ZR1(637hp) is the LSA will have the smaller 1900TVS blower compared to the TVS 2300 going on the vette.

The LSA is supposed to find it's way into a higher end camaro as well.

It would be a sick little motor for a light boat:)devil
The LSA looks likes its going to have more hp than the Mercury Racing 525, yet being a replacement for the 496, the LSA should be priced closer to a 496. Yes?

·
Rubbing is Racing!!
2,837 Posts
The LSA looks likes its going to have more hp than the Mercury Racing 525, yet being a replacement for the 496, the LSA should be priced closer to a 496. Yes?
We could only hope...Honestly with the TVS blower sitting on top I would say it cost more to make this motor by a decent amount than a 496. It will perform like a 525 (but be lighter) and it would be the perfect solution. I bet it's closer to the 525 price when all is said and done:(

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

It will also be stressed much more than a NA Merc 525. There's no replacement for displacement.

Darrell.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
There is when they breath a whole lot better...the times they are a changin...

You're kidding right? When they breath better, huh? It takes a blower on the ls to match the NA Merc 525. So now, lets discuss breathing. I think your confussed.

Darrell.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
You're kidding right? When they breath better, huh? It takes a blower on the ls to match the NA Merc 525. So now, lets discuss breathing. I think your confussed.

Darrell.
Have you seen what Hot Rod magazine has done with a na LS 435 ci ( i think ) engine ? upwards of 700 hp...no sir, the die is cast ..ls is the future ! Even
Raylar gets 550 hp out of 7.4 L...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts