Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have .30 454 It has Gm pistons. The # on the is 8188 or 14100820.
Question being, what are the specs on these pistons? I Can't find any info on these.
Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone.....I know it's a holliday weekend, but I know somebody has to be surfing the web with a phone:)hand

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
8818 doesn't fly either. If you post a pic of the dome, some one will be able to tell you what you have. Just not that many GM/Speed Pro/TRW forgings out there.
Crap cell phone pic, but here it is. IMAG0099.jpg

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Never seen a BBC piston without a intake valve notch in my life. Not saying they never made one. I've never seen one. I doubt that piston is a GM piston. It MIGHT be a replacement piston for very late 454 like a Vortec.
It is cast piston. Hopfully running with very very short cam lift and duration. It is anything but a performance piston. If your trying to replace just one, do your self a favor and don't. A full set of decent flat top forged pistons is cheap insurance.

Have you measured the bore on that piston? The pin looks too low to be a 454. If its smaller than 4.250", then its from a 396. If the pin measures more than 1 5/8 from the top of the piston, to the center of the pin, and closer to 1 3/4 from top to center, its a 427 or 396. Never seen a dished 427 or 396 piston, but that doesn't mean they weren't made either.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Never seen a BBC piston without a intake valve notch in my life. Not saying they never made one. I've never seen one. I doubt that piston is a GM piston. It MIGHT be a replacement piston for very late 454 like a Vortec.
It is cast piston. Hopfully running with very very short cam lift and duration. It is anything but a performance piston. If your trying to replace just one, do your self a favor and don't. A full set of decent flat top forged pistons is cheap insurance.

Have you measured the bore on that piston? The pin looks too low to be a 454. If its smaller than 4.250", then its from a 396. If the pin measures more than 1 5/8 from the top of the piston, to the center of the pin, and closer to 1 3/4 from top to center, its a 427 or 396. Never seen a dished 427 or 396 piston, but that doesn't mean they weren't made either.
To many things wrong in that shot? Unless its an early tall block? Even so GN is right to advise spend a few more bucks and replace the set. You get what you pay for and if you don't it costs more in the long run. JMO M

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
To many things wrong in that shot? Unless its an early tall block? Even so GN is right to advise spend a few more bucks and replace the set. You get what you pay for and if you don't it costs more in the long run. JMO M
Thats the first thing that went through my head. But a tall deck 427 piston has a pin height of over 2.00. That piston isn't quite that tall. But the deck sure says something like motorhome, schoolbus, med duty truck low deck 427.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
PASO ROBLES CA
672 Posts
I am about to pull pistons on a 454 that i just got with a crank problem .Pistons have a center depression, 2 valve reliefs and number Z-8 188D 60 over. Could nt find part number either. Who knows?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Some guy
3,615 Posts
I was going to say it may be a 454 truck piston,, but all the factory tall deck pistons I have seen have 4 rings. If you invert the 8818 to 8188, the number does coincide with the Zollner "Z8188DS060 Zollner 01" "Chevrolet truck 454 V8 74-89, .080 cup",, which makes sense with the .080" cup. The photo shows a single shallow valve relief that could work with a "truck" type low rpm cam. I have pulled apart engines that had similar flat tops, but with dual opposing valve reliefs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts