Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to see what type of rudders are being run. My 19' Hallett has a trailing rudder and it pulls left under exceleration. I'm thinking of trying a wedge type to see if it will improve. What are you guys running?

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
you might just try adjusting the cav plate on the outboard egde moving it down a 1/4 of a turn, sounds like its torqueing, and I believe it will be the l/h plate, if all else give Phil Bergeron a quick call, my guess will be what I suggested.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I use a GN style rudder from Bergeron on my 21' Howard. It pulls to the right ,(LH prop),when I first nail it, but stops pulling as it gains speed. Flat out, it hardly pulls at all.

·
Nostalgic V-Drives
404 Posts
rudders

I just went through this recently for my 21' Tarva. I had a steel wedge rudder that worked really well. I couldnt find a replacement becuase instead of the typical drag boat wedge rudder which measures 5.5" across the bottom mine measured 12" long by 6.5" across the bottom. Becuase of this I went with the SK Style rudder which comes with a different shape but is longer, runs deeper in the water with less blade width at the bottom. I havent run it yet so I cant tell you how it performs.
You also have to check your trailer rudder guard distance to the boat when making this purchase. I raised the boat up and will still have to take 1/2" off the rudders back edge.
Your Hallet being built for speed and turns read about the SK type as it states it helps to bring the nose down on decel for the turn that may help you out for the fast corners.

As far as the pull on acceleration I would look at the cav plate first.

Check out Glenwood for styles and also Rex

http://www.glenwoodmarine.com/Catalog/COMPLETE CATALOG.pdf

http://www.rexmar.com/page141.html

PS I bought mine from Tom Bentley at Menkens who has always been very helpfull for me.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I'm trying to see what type of rudders are being run. My 19' Hallett has a trailing rudder and it pulls left under exceleration. I'm thinking of trying a wedge type to see if it will improve. What are you guys running?
As much as I did not want to accept this, because of the cost, one has to find the magic prop that works on your particular setup. Can't say that one is necessarily better than the other, they're just different. After trying different brands and sizes--for years--I finally found a Kindsvater(SP) that will actually let me hold the wheel straight (yippee!).

It just takes experimentation.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
HighVoltage329, for "shape" do you mean trailing edge or wedge, if so it is a trailing edge, 13" deep x 7" wide at the top and 5 1/8" wide at the bottom.

·
Nostalgic V-Drives
404 Posts
Fyi

The other are correct that this could be something other than the rudder, with a prop that burns longer you may get past it , cav adjustment may compensate, rudder may hold it straight longer or it could be all three combined. There are a lot of experienced people in this circle so keep asking an apply your best guess.

High Voltage if your in San Jose I m in Campbell neither of my cruiser rudders are in my boat right now so if you want to come by and look at them for fit. both of mine run 1 1/8" shaft. Let me know.

By the way that Hallet is bad ass actuall both of them are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts