Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clay smith? or... The only reason I ran an electric for a season is because I didn't want to cut into the front plate of my rail kit. But now I'm ready to cut it,I'll just have the fuel pump hole cut larger with a water jet. Btw do you have to run a regulator with a clay smith pump?. Fwiw I'm feeding a 557 na deal that's 9to1 , 2 tanks that I draw off of 1 at a time, through #10 lines. I've had good sucess with carter street/strip pumps ,and have 1 of those I could use for free(1 yr. old), just curious what everyone else was using that had a rail plate clearance problem was running?

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
You cannot go wrong with the Clay Smith 170 GPH mechanical pump. I've run that pump on several different boat (All blown 468" deals with either 850's, 950's or 1050 Dominators) and have never had any volume or pressure issues. BTW, some were dead-headed and some were bypass fuel systems. The key to optimizing this pumps capabilities, meaning use large enough lines and (I prefer) by-passing back to the tank(s). Jocko

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
i would save the $$$ & run the Carter pump u have & if it doesnt work out, then switch to whatever...i personally run the Chevy HP mech pump with n/p's

FastRat

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, size wise the clay smith deal looks to be about the same size as my carter, I guess I'm chopping either way.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
i would save the $$$ & run the Carter pump u have & if it doesnt work out, then switch to whatever...i personally run the Chevy HP mech pump with n/p's

FastRat
Ditto here. 170 Carter on my motor. I did have to clock it to have the fittings clear my plate but that's only a 5 minute job.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I sell those Clay Smith pumps so if you need one shoot me a PM. Also there is a bottom plate that edelbrock that puts the ports on the bottom.

·
Just another Wannabe
1,193 Posts
I am running the CV billet deal. I love it. All of my mechanical pumps on boats will be CV's from here on.

But no reason the carter should not work, and the Clay pumps are good too.

·
Spiral out
1,545 Posts
I am running the CV billet deal. I love it. All of my mechanical pumps on boats will be CV's from here on.

But no reason the carter should not work, and the Clay pumps are good too.
Although I have not yet used it....I have one of those too. Ebay special.;)

Bought a new Carter pump and just transferred the good parts to the new pump.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all. I'll start with the carter, I was just wishing there was a pump that I didn't have to cut into my rail kit to make fit. I have no return lines and I'm trying to avoid the whole regulator deal. My motor/set up isn't that serious, just lookin to keep it simple, cause I'm stupid. Besides that my electric won't prime when the tank is empty, that's real handy when you're in the center of a lake.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Thanks all. I'll start with the carter, I was just wishing there was a pump that I didn't have to cut into my rail kit to make fit. I have no return lines and I'm trying to avoid the whole regulator deal. My motor/set up isn't that serious, just lookin to keep it simple, cause I'm stupid. Besides that my electric won't prime when the tank is empty, that's real handy when you're in the center of a lake.
you should run a regulator always. You shouldnt need a bypass though. I hope thats what you meant.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Thanks all. I'll start with the carter, I was just wishing there was a pump that I didn't have to cut into my rail kit to make fit.
Check out racepumps .com, I run one of them and they work great, no return lines and yes they need a regulator. They are small enough that no mods are needed to the engine plate. They will pump 450gph and 50psi, enough to feed 2500hp on gas.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've wondered about the race pump deal, I haven't heard that much about them, good or bad. Re the regulator, if it's a 6-7 psi pump why would I want/need a regulator??

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Check out racepumps .com, I run one of them and they work great, no return lines and yes they need a regulator. They are small enough that no mods are needed to the engine plate. They will pump 450gph and 50psi, enough to feed 2500hp on gas.
Me too!!!!!

I love mine, never ever a problem.:)devil

***** I can feel a pm comming. lol

·
Registered
473 Posts
HighVoltage, check CP Performance Marine for the Merc pump. I think the pump Mike is showing is a new style 5 valve with the smaller body. These will support pretty big HP numbers.

·
Just another Wannabe
1,193 Posts
I must have really bad luck. I purchased from racepumps a refurb unit. Did not get five minutes out of it. DEAD
Bought another brand new one and it started giving me fits the second I bolted it on. Dead and got to paddle the boat in. Found out it will work if you hit it with a hammer, run a straightaway. It dies again and get the hammer out again. . .

I know lots of guys that really like them. I should try one more just to make sure this was not a fluke, but two brand new and didn't get a full 10 minutes out of both.
(Maybe my 338 ci pump gas small block just demands too much fuel?)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Fuel pumps are a good companion product for me to sell.
I've had great luck with the pumps I sell now. But you high buck guys seem to want to spend more the 110.00 bucks and I guess want more performance the 140 gph @ 16 psi. So I figure I need some kind of billet bling bling pump that costs more money to offer as well.

I would like to know what most here look for / expect in a pump?
I like the race pumps because I've replaced so many. lol (every single one would not prime it's self)

So tell me, what are you after in a mech. pump??

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Fuel pumps are a good companion product for me to sell.
I've had great luck with the pumps I sell now. But you high buck guys seem to want to spend more the 110.00 bucks and I guess want more performance the 140 gph @ 16 psi. So I figure I need some kind of billet bling bling pump that costs more money to offer as well.

I would like to know what most here look for / expect in a pump?
I like the race pumps because I've replaced so many. lol (every single one would not prime it's self)

So tell me, what are you after in a mech. pump??
My pump was hard to prime the first time, after that never a problem and this thing runs for about 30 gallons at a time.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts