Performance Boats Forum banner

Going rate for head machining in Nor Cal?

3K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  blownboosted 
#1 ·
I have a set of ford D3VE heads with all the parts to recondition per my cam specs. Took it to shop and for a 3-way grind,resurface,and remove and replace valve guides the guy quoted me $660 plus tax for the labor. Is this a fair price? The place I took it is very well spoken of for quality of work. Just wondering if I should shop around. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
x2, no tax is levied on labor (the sales tax is probably for the new guides). We could beat that price...but whatever, just sayin'.

LO

#6 ·
I don't know about No cal... but about right around here.
Valve job (cut not ground) couple hundred
Guides couple hundred (thick wall bronze or liners honed to size NOT CAST)
resurface about hundred
cut for seals, set up springs, misc. bs hundred ish
Clean, guides (parts), shims, seals, etc.... not out of line
Wags
If it needed exhaust seats, add another couple hundred

#10 ·
My opinion is gromm was ALWAYS expensive. I would take them to someone who does fords. Valves are valves and guides are guides, but if Lakes Only said he could beat that price. I would drive the 45 minutes to have him do them. Gromm was ALWAYS proud of his work.
Just my thought, be safe.
schick

#15 ·
Back in the day, I used Gromm all the time. He even showed our boat in his printed ads. Great work, nice guy but absolutely horrible on delivery dates. Got to where I couldn't work with him just because of delivery. Maybe he's better now but I've had great results with Dave and Angie at Dave's Engine Machining in Newark. Joey Grose is great too.....
To the OP, shopping a "good deal" on something like head work is a fools errand. You want quality work from people that know what they're doing. The price you got sounds about right for what you've described. Good luck whatever way you go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.