Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm blown away... For every four employees I hire only one ends up being worth a phuck. For every 4 I schedule to interview only one shows up. WTF, in this economy and the highest unemployment in decades? The positions i'm filling require very little brain power, just enough to count and make change. Other than that they just need to show up on time. We're talking 8.50/hr work. The best way i have found to seek out applicants is Craigslist. Within 30 minutes of posting the ad I will have 20 people call. But their all losers. Any sugestions on a way to find better applicants?

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
I'm blown away... For every four employees I hire only one ends up being worth a phuck. For every 4 I schedule to interview only one shows up. WTF, in this economy and the highest unemployment in decades? The positions i'm filling require very little brain power, just enough to count and make change. Other than that they just need to show up on time. We're talking 8.50/hr work. The best way i have found to seek out applicants is Craigslist. Within 30 minutes of posting the ad I will have 20 people call. But their all losers. Any sugestions on a way to find better applicants?
I just got 175 resumes for a job opening we have. I have done 4 interviews and they all seem to want to work. The first interview never showed up :(.

Be very specific on what you want in your ad and have them email instead of call. You can weed some out right then and there.

·
@ The Islander
4,182 Posts
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that deals with this....

Craigslist works great for me also.

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
When I was a volunteer bar/club manager at the Elks I found excellent employees through the local colleges student services offices.

·
Registered
797 Posts
That's just the type of people you get for 8.50/hr. The job may not be worth any more, but you must remember it's not a career position. Low paying jobs are still available, even in this economy, most can't pay their bills on that wage.

·
Registered
219 Posts
We use Temp services and up front tell the service we are looking for a person to fill xyz position full time! it may cost a little more but it does help weed out the losers and we also dont have to pay insurance on them or do their pay, its all done by the service.

plus you get one show up and he's a down right lazy,,just tell em i dont need you anymore and for them to report back to the service co. Then you dont have to worry about them filing unemployment on ya:D

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We use Temp services and up front tell the service we are looking for a person to fill xyz position full time! it may cost a little more but it does help weed out the losers and we also dont have to pay insurance on them or do their pay, its all done by the service.

plus you get one show up and he's a down right lazy,,just tell em i dont need you anymore and for them to report back to the service co. Then you dont have to worry about them filing unemployment on ya:D
I have thought about this. How much would it cost to hire an 8.50/hr employee from a temp service?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have thought about this. How much would it cost to hire an 8.50/hr employee from a temp service?
I'm not too sure but I'm guessing probably cost you about 12 to 13 an hour. Plus if you decide to hire the employee full time from the temp agency, you would have to pay a negotiated fee to retain the employee.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
No shit, 8.50 an hour and you are complaining on the QUALITY of people you get?

I made 1.50 more than that with my first job 20 years ago.

Are you serious? Are you talking under the table or do they have to pay taxes on top of that too?

I am just saying, that may be what the position is worth, but you have to expect the quality of people who will work for that kind of money.

Brian

Pay Peanuts And You Get Monkeys
That's just the type of people you get for 8.50/hr. The job may not be worth any more, but you must remember it's not a career position. Low paying jobs are still available, even in this economy, most can't pay their bills on that wage.

G

·
Its the old "you get what you pay for" dealio.

You can find good people in that range, but you have to be willing to weed through a bunch of them. And even then they won't want to stay at $8.50/hr for long.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Post it at your local un-enployment office. I've found that only serious peeps read those boards. Anyway you go, your gonna get a bunch of junk apps just because those that don't even want jobs have to apply at so many places per work to get their check.

·
Punk in Drublic
2,165 Posts
We start at $15 and go to $40 per hour. The $15 guys (no or low experience) turn over about the same as above (1/2 don't make it the 90 days we use as probationary and those that do, 1/2 don't make it the next 90 days (sick too often, don't show at sitework and/or generally unreliable). Pain in the ass to alert EDD and other regulators as well as Workers Comp to hiring a new guy, then alerting them upon firing...:|err

·
Registered
229 Posts

Are you serious? Are you talking under the table or do they have to pay taxes on top of that too?

I am just saying, that may be what the position is worth, but you have to expect the quality of people who will work for that kind of money.

Brian

Don't forget though, such as in a service industry low bid gets the job. 8-9 is all I can pay due to the nature of bidding. Yes, if I charge what we used to I won't be doing ANY work. I even bid some jobs real low to keep current employees going and got under bid! Some of our contracts are government/ public deals where by law they must go out for bid every couple of years so it's not quality of service issues just low bid. Some other jobs I bid what It should be and not won them.
At our last paper ad we got 70 calls and 7 people showed.

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts

Brian

His location says he is out of California. 8.50 an hour is good money in some places outside of Cali. Live like a red neck king in those places. :D

·
waiting sucks
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm in Indianapolis. I know 8.50 is still crap, I honestly do not know how you can make it on that. I like this position to be filled by someone with a day job so that this would be a second job. The position is for a parking attendant- you cant pay them much more than 8.50 for that type of work...

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
$8.50 is pretty good for just an idiot to show up on time in Indy. Lots of my relatives are in Indy. Not a one of them can hold a job very long at doing anything. #1 reason for termination is not showing up to work.

·
28 Powerplay - HP500
1,399 Posts
High school kids, college students.

They are the only people who might be worth a shit that will work for that little, and it's only because they can't work full time yet. You have to find the ones who are going somewhere (beyond parking attendent), but need an easy job while in school for some spending cash.

If someone applies for that job, and they're over 22 or so......don't even bother, as they are a loser, and will behave as you've experienced.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts