Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to fine tune my boat with new gears and a new prop and i always get the same question and thats how much hp do you have? Well im tired of guessing and have decided to pull the motor out and take it over to qmp in chatsworth to have it dynoed. I have never had a motor dynoed, before partially cause of the money and the other part was cause i didntwant some guy to try and blow it up...... Is there anything special i should do before hand or ask the dyno guy?

Its 500 bbc with a 6-71 on top and 2 hp1000 carbs on 100 octane

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Trying to fine tune my boat with new gears and a new prop and i always get the same question and thats how much hp do you have? Well im tired of guessing and have decided to pull the motor out and take it over to qmp in chatsworth to have it dynoed. I have never had a motor dynoed, before partially cause of the money and the other part was cause i didntwant some guy to try and blow it up...... Is there anything special i should do before hand or ask the dyno guy?

Who's dyno will you be using? That's who you should be directing most of your questions to. "Some guy" isn't going to blow up your engine if he's a reputable dyno operator.

·
Registered
196 Posts

like steel said they should know there dyno like the back of there hand so to speak the only thing i would say is make sure you tell them what temp you run your engine at if they tune it to run at 190deg and in a boat it only reaches 140-150deg then its gona run way differant in the boat then on the stand but imo

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Who's dyno will you be using? That's who you should be directing most of your questions to. "Some guy" isn't going to blow up your engine if he's a reputable dyno operator.
ditto.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Administrator
16,877 Posts
Absolutely. A carb sized too big for the app would need jetted up because the air velocity would be lower than optimum. It takes air velocity to pull fuel.

Not saying this app is not sized properly.

I've done a few HP500 engines to 540 CID. Left the factory 850 Holley on it without changing jets. The larger engine pulls more air and in turn pulls more fuel.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the tempature advice..... As far as whi is doing it, its brad @ qmp in chatsworth very reputable. Im looking forward to the results

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Absolutely. A carb sized too big for the app would need jetted up because the air velocity would be lower than optimum. It takes air velocity to pull fuel.

Not saying this app is not sized properly.

I've done a few HP500 engines to 540 CID. Left the factory 850 Holley on it without changing jets. The larger engine pulls more air and in turn pulls more fuel.
Exactly. And the number of people that think the opposite is amzing. Like have zero idea how a carb works.
One member on the boards who shall go un-named swears that a even a 850 is too big for a mild 454(using the infamous formula) and anything bigger will just cause the engine to run rich, foul plugs and flood.
:bangmyhead: I gave up long ago trying to convince(educate) him.
If your basic understanding of how a carb functions is 180* wrong, I have no idea how you go about tuning one.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered Parker Allstar
635 Posts
Brad at QMP just built my turbo motor and dyno'ed it for me. Your in good hands over there. Mike is who you need to talk to there and is the one that will be tuning it on the dyno.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
dyno days are always fun when things go right. Good luck and have fun.

A dyno doesn't beat your engine nearly as much as running in your boat. If the operator knows what he is doing your engine will be fine.

S CP :D

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
All the guys here are gonna want to see the results too. See if you can get them in a PDF (or similar) format. If you don't care to share them, it will still make it easier to find when you want to review them at a later date.

Good luck and have a great time!

-Seth-

Oh yeah... if you have any means of recording it on video. It's kinda like a child graduating highschool isn't it? "Oh, I'm so proud." :happy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts