Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
nice run shaun
Thanks! I was finally able to stand on the throttle a bit this weekend. Boat still is far from setup ( least thats the way i feel ).

Mark my words,

Shaun is gonna end up swimming one day in Parker. That dude was all over the place. ;)
I'm not sure how to take this comment after all that pfaff stuff.. I'm going to assume negitive. I'll agree in that the boats loose and not taking a perfect set, lease thats how it feels to me. I'm working on getting it to settle down. This is my first rodeo and i have no experience with settup. I was just really happy that i could stand on it for more than a few seconds.

Lets see some pics??
I've got some video, i'm going to rip it later and i'll post it up. I need to send it to a few guys for advice.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Shaun, Looks like the boat has a good ride hight! You did make a lot of changes at one time! So be careful in pushing the boat to it's limits! WT:)devil

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
couple vids

http://unix-scripts.com/hb/uploads/VideoTape2009_11_30_13_05_09.wmv

http://unix-scripts.com/hb/uploads/VideoTape2009_11_30_13_16_55.wmv

http://unix-scripts.com/hb/uploads/VideoTape2009_11_30_13_22_36.wmv

http://unix-scripts.com/hb/uploads/VideoTape2009_11_30_13_27_19.wmv

GPS shows a max speed of 96 MPH a couple pass's but was more average around 94 MPH. The motor looks like it's only spinnin 5400 RPM, i need to get it up to 5800. When launching the boat has a porpose and then seams to settle in. The rpms bounce maybe 4-5 times before it settles and runs. I didnt get to do as much testing as i would have liked to do.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
I saw that orange daytona on my way out Thursdee mid morning. Nice boat, how did it run?

·
Speedy Member
6,785 Posts
Thanks! I was finally able to stand on the throttle a bit this weekend. Boat still is far from setup ( least thats the way i feel ).

I'm not sure how to take this comment after all that pfaff stuff.. I'm going to assume negitive. I'll agree in that the boats loose and not taking a perfect set, lease thats how it feels to me. I'm working on getting it to settle down. This is my first rodeo and i have no experience with settup. I was just really happy that i could stand on it for more than a few seconds.
It has nothing to do with Pfaff. Your boat is squirrely and starts to rock hard back and forth and you won't lift. Then you drive right over the top of somebody's rollers and keep your foot in it while your 3 boat lengths behind. Your poor pump is not real happy right about now.

I saw that orange daytona on my way out Thursdee mid morning. Nice boat, how did it run?
Chris the orange Daytona runs hard. He is squeezing it. I would say that it is a low to mid 9 second deal.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
It was running pretty good, takin a nice set. I raced him both nights. The first night the water was ok and he pulled away from me hard. I had a hard time keeping the pump loaded. The second night we ran and nobody was on the water because of how cold it was and it was kinda sprinkling a bit. That run we were about even.. Started alittle above fox's and raced almost to the bend. He was only 3-4 boats infront of me by then. I saw his boat up close while waiting for it to settle down and talked with him a bit. There was no NOS unless it was well hidden and he was lieing to me because i asked.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
What impellor are you running an A Hi helix? I could only get my 496 to turn it about 5000 went to a B- and hit 5850-5900. And cavitation went away on holeshot! It would have been nice to of tried an A- to a B just to see what it would have done! WT:)devil

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
It has nothing to do with Pfaff. Your boat is squirrely and starts to rock hard back and forth and you won't lift. Then you drive right over the top of somebody's rollers and keep your foot in it while your 3 boat lengths behind. Your poor pump is not real happy right about now.
Your right, the boat does chime.. It did that even with the old motor/setup. I've been told thats pretty standard with a v-bottom running higher speeds in waters that are not perfect. I dont know if i would call it squirrely, the boats always gone straight and has never wanted to make a turn on me (not to say it wont one day).

I know the rollers your talking about.. and it was stupid i'll admit that. The guy in that daytona was impaitiant, wanted to run, i told him earlier that night i had to wait for smooth water because the boat was not quiet there yet. I stood on it and didnt plan to stay in it that long.

Were you in that blown tunnel deal riding passanger? Looked like you...

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
What impellor are you running an A Hi helix? I could only get my 496 to turn it about 5000 went to a B- and hit 5850-5900. And cavitation went away on holeshot! It would have been nice to of tried an A- to a B just to see what it would have done! WT:)devil
AT Stainless A. When i had the lip cut off the guy at R&D measured it and said it was closer to an A+ than an A. Which i guess is inbetween an A and AA?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
You are not far off on size and you will get the setup right in time! Good luck! WT:)devil

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
It still looks a little sketchy to me Shaun, keep in mind thats not the best boat to be doing nearly 100 in. Just keep it safe, biggest thing is dont lose power or its over and watch the rough water.

A droop change is probably in order after watching the vids.

How much power are you giving up from 5400 to 5800? Check dyno sheet. If you were only getting 5400 in good air your going to be struggling in the summer months.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have to ask what your motor set up is. My boat has a relatively similar set up - berk with ss a impeller, 18' kachina, set back pump, probably 500 hp - and the best RPM is 5000 and right around 80mph. Best guesstimate - no gps

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
It was running pretty good, takin a nice set. I raced him both nights. The first night the water was ok and he pulled away from me hard. I had a hard time keeping the pump loaded. The second night we ran and nobody was on the water because of how cold it was and it was kinda sprinkling a bit. That run we were about even.. Started alittle above fox's and raced almost to the bend. He was only 3-4 boats infront of me by then. I saw his boat up close while waiting for it to settle down and talked with him a bit. There was no NOS unless it was well hidden and he was lieing to me because i asked.
Was his name Ronnie (guy is a big dude)? The boat is orange and white with a blue pin stripe? If its that boat theres no Nitrous, Guthrie motor. He is still fine tuning the hardware should run pretty good after that.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Was his name Ronnie (guy is a big dude)? The boat is orange and white with a blue pin stripe? If its that boat theres no Nitrous, Guthrie motor. He is still fine tuning the hardware should run pretty good after that.
Is that the one Guthrie helped with a major restoration on? It looked pretty sanitary when he blew by me at 85-90 on the 10.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
I'm terrible with names and he didnt seam that big. Here's a pic of him and the boat. He said he was running a 530 CID mill. The transom adapter was like a purple/blue color.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
It still looks a little sketchy to me Shaun, keep in mind thats not the best boat to be doing nearly 100 in. Just keep it safe, biggest thing is dont lose power or its over and watch the rough water.

A droop change is probably in order after watching the vids.

How much power are you giving up from 5400 to 5800? Check dyno sheet. If you were only getting 5400 in good air your going to be struggling in the summer months.
I know, i need to get into a tunnel hull. At this point i had a goal of what i wanted to get out of this boat and i'm trying to do it before moving on...

At 5400 rpm the motor made 652.5 HP & 634.6 TQ.
At 5800 rpm the motor made 671.4 HP & 608.0 TQ.

Here's the dyno sheet. http://www.reitanfamily.com/gallery/d/68138-1/dyno498-final-data.jpg

So you think i should loose the droop and go with a standard nozzle adapter or a snoot?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts