Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone here on the boards lives in this area and can recommend a good vet for us to take our Lab to for his ear issues?

We've taken him to a couple places but they haven't done anything except take our money:|err Any help would be great, thanks.

·
Ultra 27 Shadow
1,870 Posts
Just wondering if anyone here on the boards lives in this area and can recommend a good vet for us to take our Lab to for his ear issues?

We've taken him to a couple places but they haven't done anything except take our money:|err Any help would be great, thanks.
Ark Animal hospital off of Alta Murrieta and Murrieta Hot Springs. Sorry I do not have the number. My English Bulldog had an ear infection and I took him there. Also, off 79 South there is Butterfield Stage Animal Hospital.

Mike

·
Wastin' away again...
71 Posts
Can't recommend a vet, but regarding your lab's ears...

Sadly, we just lost our lab after almost fifteen years as our family pet.

He struggled with ear infections his entire life and, apprently, ear problems and labs go hand-in-hand, especially given their love of the water.

My only advice to you is to stay on top of your lab's ears constantly. Clean them frequently and do your best to keep them dry. On top of the work we did at home, we eventually just got on a monthly schedule with the vet to have his ears cleaned and cared for.

Preventative care helped, but he was still prone to ear infections. So, all I am saying is that it might not be your current vet's fault. Our dog was otherwise healthy as a horse (and lived a really long life for a big lab...100 lbs.), but his ears were a real challenge.

-OPH

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts
Dr. Zimmer at "Not Just 4 Paws" in Canyon Lake. He stayed late on a Friday before a Memorial Day weekend to perform a minor surgery on my lab. That impressed me. He has labs, as well. Good guy. We've been going to that office for over 10 years.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sadly, we just lost our lab after almost fifteen years as our family pet.

He struggled with ear infections his entire life and, apprently, ear problems and labs go hand-in-hand, especially given their love of the water.

My only advice to you is to stay on top of your lab's ears constantly. Clean them frequently and do your best to keep them dry. On top of the work we did at home, we eventually just got on a monthly schedule with the vet to have his ears cleaned and cared for.

Preventative care helped, but he was still prone to ear infections. So, all I am saying is that it might not be your current vet's fault. Our dog was otherwise healthy as a horse (and lived a really long life for a big lab...100 lbs.), but his ears were a real challenge.

-OPH
Thanks for the heads up, and sorry to hear about the lose of your lab...they are family. We have to clean his ears at least every 3 days or the stuff starts running out of his ears.

Anyways, thanks for the vet info.

·
Trailer Trash Queen
1,591 Posts
It sounds like yeast. Yeasty ears are usually the result of an allergic reaction to something he's eating. What are you currently feeding him?

I also have the best home remedy for ear issue's. If you're interested, let me know. I'd be happy to share the recipe.

·
Registered
332 Posts
We use Dr. Bob Hildreth 951-696-9501. He is a neighbor and does house calls here in our neighborhood. Not sure how far he is willing to travel or where you are. We are on the Santa Rosa Plateau off Clinton Keith. He sold his practice in the OC and now works mobil. Our lab had an ear issue that is now gone.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Dr. Zimmer at "Not Just 4 Paws" in Canyon Lake. He stayed late on a Friday before a Memorial Day weekend to perform a minor surgery on my lab. That impressed me. He has labs, as well. Good guy. We've been going to that office for over 10 years.
x2

We've been using him for about 6 years now and he's great - very honest and seems to care more about the animals well being than making a few bucks... My in-laws use him too and are very happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts