Performance Boats Forum banner

Goodbye AMC 304, Hello Big Block Chevy

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  TwinTurbo540 
#1 ·
Brand New Wiring Saturday, New Fuel Lines and Regulator Today. Took it out tonight cause the water was soooooooooo flat. Decided to fire up my GPS on my Phone. Here's what I got.

30 MPH @ 3500 RPM's
45 MPH @ 4500 RPM's

And thats all she's got in her so, Its time to build a BBC.

Now, say I build a pretty Pissed off 502. With those types of Numbers that I got tonight, what will I need to do with the pump? I havnt pulled it apart to check the impeller etc but, are those numbers average for a stock Berkeley?

All suggestions welcome for this conversion.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I'm not an expert but those numbers suggest to me that the pump is loose and either has a small impellor in it or the pump is ready to be rebuilt. "A pretty pissed off 502" could mean a lot of different things. decide what you want out of the boat and go from there. BTW, "a pretty pissed off 502" might need a full stringer boat, does your boat have full stringers? Good luck.

#7 ·
I guess the real question you should figure out is; How fast are you wanting to go in this boat? 45 isn't a bad starting point. Realisticly this engine/boat combo (a few motor modifications) should be able to get on up around 55 or 60 without building a 500 HP 502 killer motor. But, if you are looking for more speed than that, you should stop, step back and make an objective evaluation of the entire project. Will the pump work for your goals? Will the hull safely handle the speeds you want? If you are already buying new guages, going to build a new motor, and you realize the hull, and pump won't work for your goals......
You can see where that is leading. As it sits right now, you have a fully functional boat that you can play with and/or sell to get start up capital for your next project. At the very least you have something to play with while you build your real dream boat.

#11 ·
I guess the real question you should figure out is; How fast are you wanting to go in this boat? 45 isn't a bad starting point. Realisticly this engine/boat combo (a few motor modifications) should be able to get on up around 55 or 60 without building a 500 HP 502 killer motor. But, if you are looking for more speed than that, you should stop, step back and make an objective evaluation of the entire project. Will the pump work for your goals? Will the hull safely handle the speeds you want? If you are already buying new guages, going to build a new motor, and you realize the hull, and pump won't work for your goals......
You can see where that is leading. As it sits right now, you have a fully functional boat that you can play with and/or sell to get start up capital for your next project. At the very least you have something to play with while you build your real dream boat.
That's really well written and great advice.

It's so well written in fact I'm wondering if I need a new hull. LMAO

#10 ·
A couple years ago I was at a lake with a buddy running around in their boat. And we saw a 1/4 stringer jet boat with a fairly built N/A 502 cid nearly split the boat in half!!!!!!!:))eek:)) It cracked all the way across the floor, right in front of the stringers!!!!!!! Nearly sunk the boat, he floored it back to the ramp, so he wouldn't loose it to a 300 ft deep lake, it was riding real low in the water when he passed us towards the ramp. If you want more power, find a better hull!!!!!!:)bulb

Good luck.:)hand

#15 ·
My first jet boat was a Glen Coe , it was a heavy boat with a AMC 360 in her. Jacuzzi pump nothing special....It got up pretty good never thought of using a GPS on her..

I know i could beat all the pontoon boats on the water:D

Just run what you got for now , cause you might end up opening a can of worms like i did....... Ive been out of the water with my project for too long now:|err

Good luck to ya.

2sav:)devil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.