Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone using as a FREE "editing or converting software" out there when trying to convert GoPro files to use on Windows Movie Maker? Or what programs are you using to make your videos with? That are also YouTube Compatible?

Movie Maker seems easy enough to stitch video, photos and music together.... is there others like it out there that do the same without converting GoPRo files?

Thanks for the hep!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I use windows movie maker and I do not convert my gopro videos. I download the videos from my gopro using the SD card reader in my laptop. I store the files in a folder on my desktop and drop the movies inside the windows movie maker program. When I'm all done with the editing I save the movie and then upload into YouTube. Super simple. Here is the latest one I have done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMInW_wDuU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
I use windows movie maker and I do not convert my gopro videos. I download the videos from my gopro using the SD card reader in my laptop. I store the files in a folder on my desktop and drop the movies inside the windows movie maker program. When I'm all done with the editing I save the movie and then upload into YouTube. Super simple.
I save all my Gopro into a folder also. I just tried to import into windows movie maker and it said wrong file type??

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
I save all my Gopro into a folder also. I just tried to import into windows movie maker and it said wrong file type??
When I get home tonight I'll give a run down on what I did. I know I don't convert mine though. How are you importing the video? I just drag and drop

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Once I have the file saved on my computer I just right click on the file and choose "open with" and select Windows Movie Maker.

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I get home tonight I'll give a run down on what I did. I know I don't convert mine though. How are you importing the video? I just drag and drop

Yea thats what I would like to do with mine, but thats not quite the way it works. There must be something that either your computor is doing for you or you have some magic dust!... cause the gopro format vids do not drag and drop or import directly into windows movie maker.

Is your camera a hero or hero2 camera? is there a format change in the gopro camera that can be done to allow direct importing?

STV- thanks for the AVI software I used that and it works fine. The converting is just gonna take so long to do. Ill have to play with it a bit more.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Nice Video Charley. I barley have the patience to edit out what I don't want let alone fading, titles and syncing music with visual effects.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
yea thats all real nice, cool video and stuff ... but not answering the op QUESTION

What are you using? to do it. I know this shit aint rocket science!!!!!
It's been answered several times on how we do it.

A few of us use Windows Movie Maker to do the editing. I don't convert the file. Once I have the file saved on my computer (USB from camera to laptop drag and drop in a file) I just right click on the file and choose "open with" and select Windows Movie Maker.

Free converters mentioned
Convert Video Free: Free AVI Video Converter - Video Converting Software
Download VLC Media Player | Freedownloads.us.com

Free editing
Windows Movie Maker
Free Video Dub: video editing like Virtual Dub (VirtualDub)
You can also do some limited editing once it's on youtube like add music.

Maybe your SD card is not properly formatted? I remember having some problems the first few times I tried to open the file in Movie maker. Not sure what I did to make it work. It does take a while for WMM to open the files.

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
yea thats all real nice, cool video and stuff ... but not answering the op QUESTION

What are you using? to do it. I know this shit aint rocket science!!!!!
Windows Media Player will play Mp4's. No need to convert.

I use Avid Studio to edit.

You're right- this shit aint rocket science!!!!!

Time consuming? Yes, but not rocket science.

·
Scarab 22
142 Posts
i did some shooting with my hero2 this weekend and attempting to use the gopro editor. will see and then post the results. did not add music to this one. am going to build a motorized unit to be able to pan and tilt the camera via remote such as an RC boat electronics/servos.

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
I use Free Video Dub to cut out the sections of the MP4 that I want to use (cut down 20 minutes to 4 minutes or whatever). Can upload those right to youtube. Free Video Dub: video editing like Virtual Dub (VirtualDub)

If I want to edit, I use Free AVI converter to go from MP4 to AVI, which Windows Movie Maker will then let me edit, add music, etc. Convert Video Free: Free AVI Video Converter - Video Converting Software
I've used this since you emailed it to me and it works great for cutting and shortening. I have not tried to use it to add music or sub titles. Can it do that?

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
No, Free Video Dub only lets you cut/section MP4's. Windows Movie Maker will let you add music/audio, but I have not been able to get it to open an MP4 on my computer. I still use Windows XP though, and a newer version may be available with newer versions of Windows that does work with MP4's.

In my case, I use the AVI converter to convert the MP4 to AVI, then Windows Movie Maker will open that and I can add music, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts