Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Make up a number...maybe boats are different, but it seems tougher to start from scratch sometimes.

I built a '23 T-bucket roadster when I was 21 back in 2002. I tried to register as a homebuilt but the amount of hoops to jump through was stupid...so, the next day I came back, with an "original" 1923 VIN number on the frame stamped conviently between the header tubes (so I could have room to swing the hammer)....2123tb02 (21 years old, '23 t-bucket, built in 02)...they ran the vin and of course came up with nothing, said "it's probably off the record"....yeah, no shit, and wrote me a title and registration for $40 in about 15 minutes time.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Go to the back of the boat and find the Hull ID # then get a Pic of the boat and post that up and you should be able to get a pretty good idea of what you have. Welcome to the forums.

Cy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Where else could the hull id be?
It's still a mystery to me, despite the fact that the boat has crossed two borders and has been customs-cleared.
Makes me wonder if they really check the hull-id.
They certainly couldn't find it when customs clearing the boat. An agent has been customs clearing so I don't know what he did to get the things straight.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
It's still a mystery to me, despite the fact that the boat has crossed two borders and has been customs-cleared.
They certainly couldn't find it when customs clearing the boat. An agent has been customs clearing so I don't know what he did to get the things straight.
The boat you have has been repainted and it is possible that the No. were covered in the paint job! And if it is a 1972 year model or older it will not have No. on the boat! WT:)devil

JKA7904 if the boat in hotrods pic. is the one you are trying to find out about it is possible a custom oneoff build! May never know the make or builder! But if it does have a HIN no. on the back most guys on here can help! Good luck! WT:)devil

·
Glendale Arizona
2,216 Posts
I can't remember the year, but if it's old enough the manufacturers weren't required to use hull ID numbers by the coast guard, and some didn't.

I think I heard that from Old Rigger, but can't be sure.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Again, I doubt that there are any numbers on the hull because there's a spot on the ID tag for the numbers and if memory serves me, once the numbers went on the hull, there was no little spot on the tag for the same. Unless the builders was just using up his inventory of tags, there was no need for both. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.