Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just when thing are going great a storm blows in so fast there was no time to get the boat off the lake!! I quick got some plastic and tape and tryed to cover it up its all I could find in a hurry. It worked good for a bit but when the wind really picked up knocking down trees and the hail started that plan was full of holes LOL!! My oldest son helped me hold the boat pointed out so it didnt sink and I keped hittin the pump and we saved it from what ever could have happin sunk or upside down on the shore here is some pics when the worst was over. You can see anything in some pics we got it was raining so hard. The boat is sitting low in the last one. probably not my smartest move try to save it but its my baby u know. I must have had 5 ciggs in a row after that!!! and a tall morgan / Dr pepper

Attachments

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Good job.

My boat would have been beached in a heart-beat. Beach boat tail first, walk away, done that before.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was on pelican lake in MN just south of the white fish chain. my mother inlaw had rented a cabin for a week on velvet beach man what a nice lake we are going back tomorrow and hit it again and try to have a whole day out there this time. Heres a pic about 45min before the storm hit. the lake was nice and a little overcast sky. Im waiting for a vid of a fly by from my sister inlaw i will post it when I get it.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good job.

My boat would have been beached in a heart-beat. Beach boat tail first, walk away, done that before.
if you do that will the jet fill with sand and silt? how hard would that be to clean out? this is my first jet Im not sure what to do in all situations yet but Im learnin

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
if you do that will the jet fill with sand and silt? how hard would that be to clean out? this is my first jet Im not sure what to do in all situations yet but Im learnin
been through stuff like that before. as long as you have a really really good anchor system that will hold the boat, and a really really good bilge pump, it'll ride out lot bigger wind and waves than the pics show. I would not intentionally set the tail on the beach, but maybe that's just me. the only things i'd worry about covering would be the distributor and any electronic ignition that might be exposed. otherwise, just let stuff drain down to the bilge. it'll dry out later...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
been through stuff like that before. as long as you have a really really good anchor system that will hold the boat, and a really really good bilge pump, it'll ride out lot bigger wind and waves than the pics show. I would not intentionally set the tail on the beach, but maybe that's just me. the only things i'd worry about covering would be the distributor and any electronic ignition that might be exposed. otherwise, just let stuff drain down to the bilge. it'll dry out later...
the last pic is at the end of it the second one is before it got real bad. the waves were way bigger they were crashing on top of the bow and the transom was going under to the rub rail the boat was bouncing like a bobber in high sea's.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
the last pic is at the end of it the second one is before it got real bad. the waves were way bigger they were crashing on top of the bow and the transom was going under to the rub rail the boat was bouncing like a bobber in high sea's.
yup, been there. been there with the swtd. had 3 bilge pumps in it. one in the center sponson, one behind each gas tank. all 3 auto. all 3 were squirtin like a fire boat. total of 2000 gph.
when the whitecaps are up like that, the boat's got to ride up and down like that. just imo, if you beach the tail, the up and down force under the bow is going to make a mess of the pump. and in conditions like that, there's not a helluva lot you can do about it. as long as it's bobbing around and the anchor is holding, it'll be good as long as the bilge pumps are functioning. some guys think real boats don't have bilge pumps. didn't see any of those guys anchored next to me those 2 weeks.
I've been on havasu with giant waves coming over the bow of my 23' daycruiser. just happened to be out there and here came a monsoon windstorm. all you can do is sit in the seat and get drenched. and keep the engine running. and have a really good bilge pump no matter what somebody else might think...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
yup, been there. been there with the swtd. had 3 bilge pumps in it. one in the center sponson, one behind each gas tank. all 3 auto. all 3 were squirtin like a fire boat. total of 2000 gph.
when the whitecaps are up like that, the boat's got to ride up and down like that. just imo, if you beach the tail, the up and down force under the bow is going to make a mess of the pump. and in conditions like that, there's not a helluva lot you can do about it. as long as it's bobbing around and the anchor is holding, it'll be good as long as the bilge pumps are functioning. some guys think real boats don't have bilge pumps. didn't see any of those guys anchored next to me those 2 weeks.
I've been on havasu with giant waves coming over the bow of my 23' daycruiser. just happened to be out there and here came a monsoon windstorm. all you can do is sit in the seat and get drenched. and keep the engine running. and have a really good bilge pump no matter what somebody else might think...
yea I guess Im not sure about beaching it tail first ether. and Im not sayin its wrong. at least when the waves get that big. sounds like you had a few bouts with bad weather on a bigger lake this was my first on a big lake WOW!! I have ben on Rainy lake in canada in big waves but in a bigger boat not a surf board with a big block bolted to it. I found another pic :happy:

Attachments

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Where I boat I just deal with sand very few rocks. Getting sand out of a pump or even small rocks beats the hell out of getting swamped.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Great idea on the plastic.I know the feeling of a fast storm had a bad on at lake powell last year gust reached 54 mph i had my boat anchored pointing out its an open bow 21 ft and the bilge pump was not working cause check valve was stuck.I had waves crashing over the bow and flooding my boat very fast.

To me my boat is one of my kids i got my kids in camper grabbed a couple pans and had my wife help out we bailed large amounts of water and couldnt keep up.Luckily the storm let up and we kept it floating.was a scary moment for sure a couple boats your size went under as well as i know my old jetboat would not have made it thru

·
Registered
243 Posts
I run 2 huge bilge pumps in my jet boat just for that reason and many others, both are automatic and can flow a ton of water if need be!! Nice save!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I have been thu that before with just me and the wife and no other help! But she was a trooper and did what I said when I said hang on we are heading for a cove down lake (it was Havasu) and not as violent as your'e deal! Tucked in and held on, storm blew thru and we laughed after and went to the ramp to head home. Got some great pictures but no scanner to post up! Thats great boating expierence for anybody New. I have been boating,racing and whatever else for almost 40 years and it's all good expierience!!!! Very glad you made it thru it!!!! Mark

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Reminds me of when I got caught in a storm about 13 years ago on a real big lake here in Mi. (Higgins Lake)
It started coming down in buckets and we were about 1 mile from the launch.
I was driving back to the ramp as fast as I dared, could barely see where I was going and then saw lightning hitting the water about 1/2 mile away.

·
Just Me
4,056 Posts
Great story. Glad everything turned out well. It does give me more to think about. Not sure I'd have a plastic sheet with me in the boat. Might have to throw a tarp in the cruiser just in case.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well went back for my second beating today. there was so many boats the waves were so bad I could hardly keep it on plane we hung out at the sand bar and heard the same story twice about a group of guys in boats like mine out there rippin around on a windy day and one guy fliped his boat over and busted up the hull and sunk it no good!! I wonder if jockorace was there he said he had a condo on that lake. anyway we got off the lake in time but ended up hitting a big storm on the road and the boat it once again soaked DAMMIT!!!! And hit a porky pine on the hwy guts and shit all over the trailer AHHHHHHHH yuck !!!! IT hasnt rained here for 2 months and I get my boat out and I keep getting caught in it. I got a guy I did work for 2 years ago swapping for a custom cover and I still dont have it. I could have used it this week. sometimes swapping labor just dont work out :bangmyhead:

·
Just Me
4,056 Posts
well went back for my second beating today. there was so many boats the waves were so bad I could hardly keep it on plane we hung out at the sand bar and heard the same story twice about a group of guys in boats like mine out there rippin around on a windy day and one guy fliped his boat over and busted up the hull and sunk it no good!! I wonder if jockorace was there he said he had a condo on that lake. anyway we got off the lake in time but ended up hitting a big storm on the road and the boat it once again soaked DAMMIT!!!! And hit a porky pine on the hwy guts and shit all over the trailer AHHHHHHHH yuck !!!! IT hasnt rained here for 2 months and I get my boat out and I keep getting caught in it. I got a guy I did work for 2 years ago swapping for a custom cover and I still dont have it. I could have used it this week. sometimes swapping labor just dont work out :bangmyhead:
Why don't you pull your boat down here to SE Iowa and put it on the Mississippi? I doubt if the boating is any better, but we sure could use the rain. :)hand

1 - 20 of 21 Posts