Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
As stated above this is my first Jet boat. It’s a 1977 Tahiti Day cruiser. It has a Ford 460.
A friend from work is helping with the motor. We yanked it last weekend and the block and heads are in the machine shop at the moment. This is a low budget build so most everything will remain stock for the moment. The block is within spec and doesn’t like it’s ever been rebuilt.

Anyhow, in preparation for the rebuild and install I realized that marine specific parts were more expensive than vehicle parts so my question is: Do I need marine specific parts for hitting the reservoirs in this desert I live in? (New Mexico)

I’m looking at a Holley 4150 (750cfm) carb, and an msd 8580 Distributor not sure which box yet.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Does it have an engine cover? Many of the marine parts have modifications to make them safer in a marine environment and in particular in an enclosed engine compartment. Carb, Mechanical fuel pump and distributor are a few of these parts. Some marine parts are manufactured differently for durability. Wire, seat foam and vinyl would be examples of this.

·
Head Janitor
690 Posts
Does it have an engine cover? Many of the marine parts have modifications to make them safer in a marine environment and in particular in an enclosed engine compartment. Carb, Mechanical fuel pump and distributor are a few of these parts. Some marine parts are manufactured differently for durability. Wire, seat foam and vinyl would be examples of this.
Don't forget alternator!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Make sure you do some research related to engine tolerances for boats. What works in a car usually doesn't work too long in a jet boat. Make sure your machinest understands, and consider asking some questions once you know the answers to make sure he knows his business.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dunno where you're located but here in MI if the engine has a cover it must have a marine specific carb with the "J-tube" bowl vents that would effectively purge the gas into the motor rather than ONTO the motor with an automotive application carb. There's also other marine specific qualities about those carbs too. Like a slotted rod that the throttle plates mount to, this also helps to contain fuel leaks. You can read up on this stuff in manufacturers sales literature.

An enclosed hatch must have a inlet and outlet vent with a functioning blower to purge the compartment of gas fumes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks nice Angel. What length? The trailer looks in good shape: unlike mine. Just finished fabricating whole new bunks, rollers, and even a cross beam!

-Tyler

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
Use a Holley 850 Double-Pumper, List # 0-80443 marine appicable. With this carburetor you will still be able to troll around on the primary 2-barrels and get very good fuel economy. You will also allow the engine its needed upper rpm breathability with all 4 barrels of the 850 when you are wide open throttle.

For the 460 in your day cruiser, use a fully-grooved main bearing (Clevite or King) or a 3/4-grooved main bearing (Federal Mogul or King). You rods will very much appreciate the additional oil feed. Do not use a typical 1/2-grooved engine bearing in your build.

LO

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks nice Angel. What length? The trailer looks in good shape: unlike mine. Just finished fabricating whole new bunks, rollers, and even a cross beam!

-Tyler

Thank Tyler,
I think it's a 21' I can't remember exactly at the moment. The trailer is in great shape just needs a master cylinder for the brakes.

Oh and my name is Robert. My screen name is made of up my initials and the town I'm from.
When I joined they didn't let me post a signature.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Use a Holley 850 Double-Pumper, List # 0-80443 marine appicable. With this carburetor you will still be able to troll around on the primary 2-barrels and get very good fuel economy. You will also allow the engine its needed upper rpm breathability with all 4 barrels of the 850 when you are wide open throttle.

For the 460 in your day cruiser, use a fully-grooved main bearing (Clevite or King) or a 3/4-grooved main bearing (Federal Mogul or King). You rods will very much appreciate the additional oil feed. Do not use a typical 1/2-grooved engine bearing in your build.

LO
Thanks for the advise,
I was really entertaining a Summit carb. primarily cause they're cheap. I'll be sure to get the right bearings too. I'm waiting for the machine shop to get back with a verdict as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update:
Well In an effort avoid leaving the engine in pieces for a year due to lack of funds I went ahead and ordered some parts.
I watched a 460 budget build on power block TV and went from there.
I got a Summit racing 750 with mechanical secondary’s and manual choke. A new oil pan, a 5400 RPM Isky cam and the lifters they recommended along with new pushrods. And a sealed power high volume oil pump.
Still waiting on the results from the machine shop for the rest of the build. I might still get some better valve springs and we’ll be porting and polishing the existing heads.

·
Registered
43 Posts
460 build

Might want to consider ditching the stock heads. Takes alot of time and money to make the stock smog heads work. Try to search for some dove heads, I used some c-heads from 1968. Also make sure you use a straight up timing set, 70s timing sets had negative valve timing built in for emission reasons. I"m sure you are aware that the cam should be a marine spec to prevent reversion. You also could have a problem with an insurance claim if the non marine carb caused a fire. Hopes this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Might want to consider ditching the stock heads. Takes alot of time and money to make the stock smog heads work. Try to search for some dove heads, I used some c-heads from 1968. Also make sure you use a straight up timing set, 70s timing sets had negative valve timing built in for emission reasons. I"m sure you are aware that the cam should be a marine spec to prevent reversion. You also could have a problem with an insurance claim if the non marine carb caused a fire. Hopes this helps.
Thanks,
That's very helpful. I think my buddy has a set of dove heads that have already been machined. I'll have to look in to the timing set. The cam is marine specific but honestly I'll have to google "reversion".....The Carb is most likely just going to get me through the season, once I save up some cash I can get a marine carb.

·
The Good
483 Posts
Hey RT. Are you in Algel Fire now? Keep in mind of Angel Fire's altitude (over 8000') when setting up the carb. If you go to The Butte, Conchas , or Ute there cane be as much as 4000' of lower elevation change. These guys on here can give advice on that issue. Just wondering if you've considered it. Congratulations on the new boat!:)devil

1 - 20 of 30 Posts