Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Seriously off center
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta give my Dad the choice on how he wants to die tonight. Don't assume that your passing will be quick and easy, so plan accordingly. Not looking forward to the next week.......

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Sorry to hear. I just made that decision 2 months ago. He went into a diabetic shock on Fathers Day and never made it out of icu, a month later he passed. Never thought that my Dad would never be here to stop by and talk, have a beer and just spend time with him. Life goes by super fast. at 48 it really is starting to hit me. My dad died at 77 so in 29 years from now I will be his age. Enjoy and remember the time you spent with him and stay busy. sorry for the long post. I send prayers out for you and family.
Bob

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Gotta give my Dad the choice on how he wants to die tonight. Don't assume that your passing will be quick and easy, so plan accordingly. Not looking forward to the next week.......
My friend, Im very sorry to read this... I will be thinking about you all and pray for peace...

I'm just glad for his sake that he has you, I hope his memory/mind is good so you can share some laughs and tears over special memories...

I'm not looking forward to these days with my parents-inlaws, it was one year ago today that I watched my big brother slip into eternity and unfortunately he had a vent tube and couldn't talk to us...

John 3:16..........

Sorry to hear. I just made that decision 2 months ago. He went into a diabetic shock on Fathers Day and never made it out of icu, a month later he passed. Never thought that my Dad would never be here to stop buy and talk, have a beer and just spend time with him. Life goes by super fast. at 48 it really is starting to hit me. My dad died at 77 so in 29 years from now I will be his age. Enjoy and remember the time you spent with him and stay busy. sorry for the long post. I send prayers out for you and family.
Bob

Yep, we owe it to our loved ones/friends to MAKE time and tell them how much they mean to us... One never knows when their time is up OR when our time is up...

·
Head Janitor
690 Posts
Never thought that my Dad would never be here to stop buy and talk, have a beer and just spend time with him.
I agree, after losing my father and my father-in-law (who were both great men)...it feels like part of me is gone now, too.

slowride: You have my sympathies.

·
"I'm just SPRAYIN' man!!"
618 Posts
I lost my dad in 2000...he was 61 and I was 34 at the time. Still think about him daily and wish I had spent more time getting to know him better.

How is it you're giving your dad the choice on how he's going to die? Is he terminal but still conscious?

·
Seriously off center
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I lost my dad in 2000...he was 61 and I was 34 at the time. Still think about him daily and wish I had spent more time getting to know him better.

How is it you're giving your dad the choice on how he's going to die? Is he terminal but still conscious?
He's 87 and has refused any kind of therapy since a stroke a year ago. He's been able to eat the past 5 months by mouth, but aspirated and got pneumonia a couple days ago. The doctor did a swallow test and he is unable to eat by mouth without aspirating now. He refuses to have a feeding tube put back in, so it leaves 2 options (because of his medical directive). Hospice with no feeding, or send him back home until the next bout of aspirated pneumonia. Frankly, he's done living and kind of resents me pulling him through the stroke. He has refused to re-engage in life and just sits in front of the TV 24/7. He won't do anything to improve his quality of life and has become abusive to the point of threatening the caregiver. Dimentia is getting worse, so that complicates his care.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
So sorry to hear this Mike. Sounds like he's ready to go and he may just make this easier than you think. Try your best to make him understand that you love him and are there to assist him with his final wish.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
My prayers for you and your family, i lost Mom back in July to cancer after a 2 1/2 year battle.. towards the end she was ready to go as the pain was to much for even the morphine to help, the last 3 days she too could not swallow food she was at home with hospice care and we spent as much time next to her as possible, i was lucky as she was not abusive, she went to sleep as i held her hand and took her last breath. It is not easy by any means but, in the long run you will know you were right to be next to him and giving your support and love as he leave's this world.

God Bless, and my Prayers

·
Registered
19,990 Posts
quote:: He has refused to re-engage in life and just sits in front of the TV 24/7. He won't do anything to improve his quality of life and has become abusive to the point of threatening the caregiver. Dimentia is getting worse, so that complicates his care.

my dad is 84 2 strokes this year and what you said above descibes him completely...he tells me everytime im over just let me go dont revive me if he has another. no more chemo for his cancer no more hospitals just let me go at home and breaks my heart.........i know exactly how your feeling , very tough times, will pray for him and your family....

·
Registered
61 Posts
John 3:16

Slowride, sorry to hear about your Dad. Offer to pray with him Man To Man (John 3:16) and assure him Eternal Life is his for the asking. Tell your Dad that you will always Love Him and that his Memory will be in your Heart Till You Meet Again in Heaven. My Dad passed away almost 30 years ago (I was 24) and his memory has been in my heart ever since. My thoughts and prayers to you and your Family.

·
Seriously off center
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Had the come to Jesus meeting (figuratively speaking) with him tonight. Wouldn't go for the feeding tube (knew he wouldn't), and hospice was a bit too real for him. He wants to go home and continue like he was knowing it'll kill him. He says he wants to try to come back, but I told him talk's cheap,..... SHOW me. Doubt it'll happen and is likely too late even if he does try, but if he tries I'll back him.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I cant even begin to imagine what your going through. me and mine are wishing you and yours the best. I know it must be hard but stay strong. your family will be in our prayers

·
Distinguished Member
5,783 Posts
He's 87 and has refused any kind of therapy since a stroke a year ago. He's been able to eat the past 5 months by mouth, but aspirated and got pneumonia a couple days ago. The doctor did a swallow test and he is unable to eat by mouth without aspirating now. He refuses to have a feeding tube put back in, so it leaves 2 options (because of his medical directive). Hospice with no feeding, or send him back home until the next bout of aspirated pneumonia. Frankly, he's done living and kind of resents me pulling him through the stroke. He has refused to re-engage in life and just sits in front of the TV 24/7. He won't do anything to improve his quality of life and has become abusive to the point of threatening the caregiver. Dimentia is getting worse, so that complicates his care.
This is a tough spot to be in, but IMHO, the right to pass should be the individuals. Unfortunately for a lot of reasons, some of them good ones, this option is taken away from the person. It's tough on those left behind but to me, quality of life matters as much as maintaining it at all costs. Sounds like your dad is at the end of his trail and ready for whatever is next. You have some very hard decisions to deal with. Best wishes and our sympathies as well...

·
In INTERNET REHAB
1,113 Posts
aspirated and got pneumonia a couple days ago. The doctor did a swallow test and he is unable to eat by mouth without aspirating now. He refuses to have a feeding tube put back in, so it leaves 2 options (because of his medical directive). Hospice with no feeding, or send him back home until the next bout of aspirated pneumonia. Frankly, he's done living and kind of resents me pulling him through the stroke. He has refused to re-engage in life and just sits in front of the TV 24/7. He won't do anything to improve his quality of life and has become abusive to the point of threatening the caregiver. Dimentia is getting worse, so that complicates his care.
Mike, my heart and prayers goes out to your family. This describes my father at 84 and it was rough. Keeping you in my thoughts.......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts