Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people running on their SxS and quads for backcountry exploring? We're taking the toys to Havasu tonight for a week of play, and I don't want to get lost. What did you get, how does it work, and where did you get it? Does it have topo?:)coffee

TIA!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
What are people running on their SxS and quads for backcountry exploring? We're taking the toys to Havasu tonight for a week of play, and I don't want to get lost. What did you get, how does it work, and where did you get it? Does it have topo?:)coffee

TIA!

I have a I-way 500C. works Killer ! Also acts as the stereo controller with built in MP3 player. the 500 and 600C are great units! Search Ebay....I found one for apx 350 bucks.

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
Ron's Custom Billet in Havasu had one setup at the boat show a year ago and had a cool billet mount for it as well... worth a call to see what they've come up with since then. ;)

·
@ The Islander
4,182 Posts
I have a I-way 500C. works Killer ! Also acts as the stereo controller with built in MP3 player. the 500 and 600C are great units! Search Ebay....I found one for apx 350 bucks.
That looks bad ass, do you have any installed pics?

·
32 DW X-CAT
2,271 Posts
Comment:

I use a Wal-mart special Garmin unit---handheld it works great it is yellow in color[easy to find] and easy to use.

The unit is relatively inexpensive [$89.00] and has all the features you will ever need. As for a topo who needs one as I will know the terrain features as I drive through it :D.

KAP

·
Banned
4,599 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Comment:

I use a Wal-mart special Garmin unit---handheld it works great it is yellow in color[easy to find] and easy to use.

The unit is relatively inexpensive [$89.00] and has all the features you will ever need. As for a topo who needs one as I will know the terrain features as I drive through it :D.

KAP
Not in a rhino but i use the same one in my buggy gets me everywhere at glamis i want to go.simple and easy.Does the smae job finding a spot just as good as my brother lowrance does.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
As for a topo who needs one as I will know the terrain features as I drive through it :D.

KAP
If you get far out enough in Standard wash, go out 40 miles or so, and get exploring it's not hard to get turned around. Well for me anyway. :D

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
If you get far out enough in Standard wash, go out 40 miles or so, and get exploring it's not hard to get turned around. Well for me anyway. :D
I have a Gamin 400t which has the topo and a bread crumb feature. It will help you backtrack all the way to where you started step by step. it is so step by step that if you were to go someplace and drive in circles you would have to go back and undo the same amount of circles to keep it on track.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I liked the Quest, but no longer available.

400t is kinda spendy, I've already spent a fortune on her new quad/Rhino kick:D

Maybe we'll stop by Ron's after breakfast at Black Bear.... she forgot the :)coffee:)coffee:)coffee

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As usual, I couldn't get it until we absolutely needed it, so we had to pay top dollar:mad:

We ended up with the Bushnell Onix400, complete with XM satellite weather and photos and music. Now I have to figure put how to mount it.

Ron wasn't in, although he had some cool billet mounts.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Donna couldn't get the Bushnell to work for her, too non-user-usable. We took it back to WalMart and got our money back. Then we went to West Marine and they had a Nuvi with topo, waterproof, and a mount for a rhino, for less than half the cost of the Bushnell.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Donna couldn't get the Bushnell to work for her, too non-user-usable. We took it back to WalMart and got our money back. Then we went to West Marine and they had a Nuvi with topo, waterproof, and a mount for a rhino, for less than half the cost of the Bushnell.
Which one did you get? Did you use it yet? How do you like it?

·
Broke mo fo
3,184 Posts
I have the Garmin 60 CSX which is nice but it keeps shutting off on me when we're on a ride. Need to buy the hard wire kit.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Which one did you get? Did you use it yet? How do you like it?
The Nuvi 500 it comes with topos already loaded.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13424

West Marine is blowing them out at $150, the LHC store is getting ours from the Fresno store. We don't know how we like it yet, as it won't be here 'til Tuesday. Finding a mountable unit that does topo has been hard unless you want to spend big bucks on the Lowrance Baja or something of that nature.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts