Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has more than likely been covered many times but I sure can't find it so here goes. I'm look for a good handheld GPS unit. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I don't have room on my dash for an installed GPS speedometer. I am looking at the Garmin eTrex Legend Handheld GPS but then where do you find the maps to load for the local Sacramento waterways?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
What about "update time" do hand helds update as fast as a dash mount " real boat gps system" There were a couple of times last year my gps #'s rose after I got out of it.

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Yeah, it works fine for my purposes. I just use it as a tuning aid anyway. Rarely use it while out bombing around. It does make a good frame of reference for making changes on your hardware. Definitely better than the ol seat of the pants thing.

Been lots of times I thought a change made me run faster, but the ol lie detector/humbler (gps) proved me wrong.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, it works fine for my purposes. I just use it as a tuning aid anyway. Rarely use it while out bombing around. It does make a good frame of reference for making changes on your hardware. Definitely better than the ol seat of the pants thing.

Been lots of times I thought a change made me run faster, but the ol lie detector/humbler (gps) proved me wrong.
LMAO!!!! Well, I just would like to know just how fast mt boat really goes and didn't want to spend $300 for a dash mounted GPS speedo of which I don't have room for anyway.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a Garmin Etrex Legend and seems to work good. I have not tried in the boat yet but I have used it in my truck and it worked good. There is about a 1 second refresh but in a pleasure boat i don't see that being a problem. For better maps you have get a mapsource cd-rom from Garmin or a Garmin dealer and I dont think they are cheap.hope that helps

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a Garmin Etrex Legend and seems to work good. I have not tried in the boat yet but I have used it in my truck and it worked good. There is about a 1 second refresh but in a pleasure boat i don't see that being a problem. For better maps you have get a mapsource cd-rom from Garmin or a Garmin dealer and I dont think they are cheap.hope that helps
Does it come with a PC cable for loading the maps? I'll check the Garmin web site to see what they have. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I'm going dash mount when it rains $ , you never know when your going to need to grab something else with your other hand....a diverter or frosty beverage or.....:)grn

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going dash mount when it rains $ , you never know when your going to need to grab something else with your other hand....a diverter or frosty beverage or.....:)grn
That's what they made Velcro. LMAO!!! Just stick it to the dash. :D Now days you've got to be damn careful about what kind of COLD ONE you grab.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts