Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Portable GPS navigation, Garmin or Tom Tom? Audio with street names, or without?

I want something super lame guy easy. :D

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
I have a Garmin Street Pilot big & bulky by todays standards, I would agree with the Nuvi seres & they are also portable if you go hiking, boating ect...

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some of the units I was looking at had audio directions telling you when to turn, and the more expensive ones told you when to turn and the name of the street to turn on. The sales person said that I wanted one of the ones that said the street name so I could confirm the turn was the right street. He said they sometimes are wrong and that by naming the street it was confirmation of proper directions.

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
Some of the units I was looking at had audio directions telling you when to turn, and the more expensive ones told you when to turn and the name of the street to turn on. The sales person said that I wanted one of the ones that said the street name so I could confirm the turn was the right street. He said they sometimes are wrong and that by naming the street it was confirmation of proper directions.
Then that guy makes Forrest Gump look like a rocket scientist.

Your GPS is only as good as the maps, but all the major GPS manufacturers use one of two mapping companies. The tie-breaker should be features.

Audible is nice, but frankly, my stereo always drowns mine out, so I just watch the "next turn in..." box, and when it reaches 500', I know I am close...lol. Of course, on HWY 40, the "next turn in 240 miles..." gets a little boring...lol.

Look closely at the screen size- the cheaper ones have smaller screens, and are tougher to read while driving.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
Rick, If your going to use for your pool business I would ask someone that has one in Havasu. I used mine there to test it and it had me driving all over the place. When I knew a more direct route. :mad:

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
Rick, If your going to use for your pool business I would ask someone that has one in Havasu. I used mine there to test it and it had me driving all over the place. When I knew a more direct route. :mad:
My Garmin will do the same thing, I have to change the way it calculates its route. I get 3 different choice's from Fastest time, Shortest route or Off road....

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are your senior moments increasing?:)sphss Happens to everybody...
My challenge is finding the keys. Once I find them I'm good to go. :D

Don't need it for the route, you learn that pretty quick, but I do repair work for several companies, and plugging in an address and just driving will be pretty cool.
My Garmin will do the same thing, I have to change the way it calculates its route. I get 3 different choice's from Fastest time, Shortest route or Off road....
Neat feature, I wonder if all the Garmin's offer that?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
thomas guide here.I have to make a few stops a day for work and still use one.Comes in handy when a big traffic jam can figure out a residential route while all the gps'rs are on the main streets seen it a couple of times too.

NEVER LETS ME DOWN!

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
My wife's Garmin rocks! Especially the traffic updates and automatically re-routing around big traffic jams. i like it better than the built in Nav on the Denali and usually take it with us on long trips in the truck.

·
Islander Transient
1,881 Posts
Rick

I have a Garmin Nuvi 660 or 680 or something like that. Last year it was their top of the line unit. This is the 3rd Garmin I've owned, had a hand held for the desert, an older street pilot and this one. I travel 40-60% of the time and this thing saves my bacon on every trip. It does street names and turn by turn direction and is very easy to use. If we get together this weekend I'll give it to you to use for the week and I'll pick it up next weekend when I'm in Havi. That will give you a week to tinker with it in Havasu.

The model I have has all kinds of BS like real time traffic, MP3 player, picture display, you can get Foder travel guides yadda yadda yadda. If I were to go it again I'd get a unit with fewer BS features, but provided turn by turn and street names.

Give me a call this weekend and I'll get it over to you.

Chip

1 - 20 of 30 Posts