Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using a hand held GPS, do you just carry it all day and use the peak number? Or do you watch it as you are under way? I have a data logger that measures speed five times per second. I also have an eTrex hand held. I was amazed at the difference!

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Forget/re set

I just turn it on and forget it for a while. I can re set MAX SPEED if I make any changes and want to see if it made any difference. I usually just check speed once to see that things are normal, and then stow it...
Ray

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
gps?

Hey Homeblown, What datalogger are you using? What was the difference between the two?
Be safe, schick

·
Registered
574 Posts
Wait a second... Your trying to tell me that GPS's can be wrong??? There is a chance my 19 foot gull wing does not do 203 MPH? :duh:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am using a gisteq dl-500. The constant real time numbers seem dead on. With the logger I noticed about every third or fourth run, it would peak unreasonably. After paying a great deal of attention to the eTrex I noticed it too would peak. So, if you are just using the peak you may be a over what the boat actually runs. I have ridden in a lot of 80-90 mph boats that never seemed to quite be up to par. But these guys all claimed "yeah that was with the GPS." I had always used the instant number.
Obviously a 200mph number would be irrational! But when your 65mph boat sees 75 peak on the gps some people give in to the temptation.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
My boat went 435 mph one day while
Boating with the family
GPS verified. Lol :D
You have to watch it not just take the
Max speed IMO

---
- Sent from my iPhone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts