Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Custom user title
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with switching from a standard speedo to a gps? Trying to clean some stuff up on the boat and a couple things I came across. First the antenna for the gps antenna is about 80 feet long and where it's mounted it only needs to be about a foot long. I'd like to cut it but want to make sure that's not going to mess up the antenna. Secondly the boat has a small leak that I think I just found. The stock speedo tube (bravo drive) is just zip tied to a cable in the back. I would assume that this would be dumping water anytime the boat is moving. What are you supposed to do to stop it? Put a screw in it and call it a day or what?

·
27 Victory 800efi
420 Posts
The two times I've put the GPS speedo in, I just left the massive amount of antenna wiring zip-tied behind the dash that way I don't have to mess with it. Not sure what I did with the original speedo tube, its been 10 years since that.
-Tom

PS some advice: put in a speedo that will accomodate any modifications to speed that you might do, hence my two installs.

·
Custom user title
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The two times I've put the GPS speedo in, I just left the massive amount of antenna wiring zip-tied behind the dash that way I don't have to mess with it. Not sure what I did with the original speedo tube, its been 10 years since that.
-Tom

PS some advice: put in a speedo that will accomodate any modifications to speed that you might do, hence my two installs.
It was actually there when I bought the boat and in the process of rewiring everything I found a big coil of wire zip tied behind the dash. I can tuck it out of the way but would rather cut and solder it to fit since I am redoing it all anyways. Also found a tattle tale switch back there that part was kind of cool. Not sure why it was never put on the dash there is a perfect spot right by some other switches.

·
mud slinger
2,012 Posts
It was actually there when I bought the boat and in the process of rewiring everything I found a big coil of wire zip tied behind the dash. I can tuck it out of the way but would rather cut and solder it to fit since I am redoing it all anyways. Also found a tattle tale switch back there that part was kind of cool. Not sure why it was never put on the dash there is a perfect spot right by some other switches.
Call Mario.

·
Administrator
11,646 Posts
Leave the wire long until you're sure you have a good spot for the antenna. Every boat is different.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Put one in my Taylor 2 years ago, zip tie and tuck away the excess antannae lead.

Nordskog 200mph digital.

They SAY (at least mine did) that the antennae would have trouble sensing thru glitterflake gellcoat, no suchy trouble with mine. Mounted under the dash, nothing sticking thru.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
.... Secondly the boat has a small leak that I think I just found. The stock speedo tube (bravo drive) is just zip tied to a cable in the back. I would assume that this would be dumping water anytime the boat is moving. What are you supposed to do to stop it? Put a screw in it and call it a day or what?
With your drive all the way up, look behind the drive (towards the transom) where the upper and lower meet. You will see the speedo tube entering the lower half. give it a twist and pull it out, No more water in your bilge. Hope this helps.

·
Custom user title
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With your drive all the way up, look behind the drive (towards the transom) where the upper and lower meet. You will see the speedo tube entering the lower half. give it a twist and pull it out, No more water in your bilge. Hope this helps.
Oh yeah forgot about that. So that will keep the boat from pushing water through the tube but if I pull the tube completely out from where it goes through the gimbal/transom won't that still leak slowly?

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Oh yeah forgot about that. So that will keep the boat from pushing water through the tube but if I pull the tube completely out from where it goes through the gimbal/transom won't that still leak slowly?
Honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable telling you to do or don't do that (I'm not a tech) but I disconnected mine and left it in place 3 years ago and haven't had any issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts