Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 different grass seed systems going on over here.
First, is the 50/50 mix under nursery netting on the ground instead of hay.
Second is the same 50/50 mix on bare ground
Third, hydroseed.
The first two were put down the first day and the hydroseed the second.
I have a huge area to plant and I'm watching to see which does the best.My question is - after the seed gets it's first good watering,so the seed starts germinating,does it require daily watering?I'm thinking that after it's first watering it doesn't require water until the seed pops and starts rooting.
Anybody have any thoughts on this????

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Have had many jobs hydroseeded...as mentioned, it needs to stay very moist all the time. If it dries out once you could loose all of it. Once it dries out a few days it is very hard to bring back.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I hydroseeded for work a couple years.
It needs to stay moist, but not wet.
Kind of a fine line, but too dry and you loose your seed, too wet you can loose your seed and begin to introduce mold and algae.
Best bet would be 5 or 6 short (just enought to evenly wet everything) watering cycles a day.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Grass Seed made my think of Carl Spackler....

This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Sod always the easiest route and have never tried hydroseeding.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hahahha, looks great but we're talking an acre and a half. I'll take pictures tomorrow and we'll see which pops first. Luckily it rained tonight so no watering.
Tonight is the third full day.
My money is on the seed with the net over it....

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
hahahha, looks great but we're talking an acre and a half. I'll take pictures tomorrow and we'll see which pops first. Luckily it rained tonight so no watering.
Tonight is the third full day.
My money is on the seed with the net over it....
Sounds like you will be just fine with keeping it moist. RAIN? Whats that?
Im not sure if you have ever been to Lake Havasu but there are not to many people with grass, and rains very little. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But why does the seed need to stay wet more that the first time to get it's cycle going??

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Because seeds have no roots to hold moisture and if it is kept wet the wetness acts as the root until they sprout. Thats just my BS way of answering it for you.
See, I understand BS.
That makes sense.....

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The nets have taken the early lead with grass starting at 4 1/2 days.
The seed in the open appears to be on the verge of starting and the hydroseed is doing nothing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts