Performance Boats Forum banner

201 - 220 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
BFF yes and since the Blown jet class was combined into the flat class. Jeez do we have some non Juan Blanco fans here? I'll just say that he is a good friend of mine and he can shoe anything.

Sent from somewhere in Texas!
I think thats TAF not BFF.:)Unsure

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kcbc

I am interested in documenting early drag boating race history before all us old timers loose our memories. If Darrell Jenkins was the first "organized" drag race winner, then it must have been won at Hart Park in Bakersfield, sponsored by the Kern County Boat and Ski Club. I say this because Darrell Jenkins was a member of the Kern County Boat and Ski Club and back prior to 1955, I believe Darrell raced primarily at Hart Park. I can't remember any other places where they raced. If he was the first drag boat race winner, he must have raced prior to 1955 when Kandy Kid, driven by Jim Dewar, held the drag boat speed record. I could also conclude that Hart Park was the birthplace of organized drag boat racing and the Kern County Boat and Ski Club ran the first formally organized drag boat event? Do you know what year Darrell won this first drag race event?
I am currently working on a book on the Kern Co. Boat & Ski Club. Would really like to interview you. Pati Stanfill Nolen

·
Jersey guy
37 Posts
drivers

I don't know how I missed this topic, and havent been thru all pages but New Jersey's own John Hipwell, ram bah on a shoestring and won a couple and when he ran madness he flew. Robert Jorden/Al bush in bff, Steve Hess....the sting, and Mary Rifle and Ken West

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am currently working on a book on the Kern Co. Boat & Ski Club. Would really like to interview you. Pati Stanfill Nolen
Hi Pati,

I would be glad to talk to you about the KCBSC. My brother and I have talked about writing a book, in our retirement, about early boat drag racing (1950s). We think it is important to document the earliest history of drag boating before all of the first hand memories are gone. Please call me and we can make arrangements (707) 443 2368.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First Female Drag Racer

The first female to drive a boat in a officially timed boat drag racing event was Evelyn Naylor. She drove their boat "Nayl Box" to a win in the 60-65 mile class after her husband, Squid Naylor, was injured. The race was held at Long Beach Marine Stadium on April 7, 1957. Nayl Box was a Buck Smith hull with a blown Buick on gas. She set a record as the first female driver and the first female to win her class at a formal drag meet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OMG.....there are so many guys that were not mentioned from back in the day! Bob Disgardin (sp????) Robert Jordan - Tasmanian Devil, Terry Mullins - Jimmy Wright, Jack Carr, Earl Buchant, Larry Briscoe, Ed Wilcox, Al Bush (I think he was mentioned, if not here he is), Bob Harris, I can go on and on, but I have something to do right now. LATERS................

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
OMG.....there are so many guys that were not mentioned from back in the day! Bob Disgardin (sp????) Robert Jordan - Tasmanian Devil, Terry Mullins - Jimmy Wright, Jack Carr, Earl Buchant, Larry Briscoe, Ed Wilcox, Al Bush (I think he was mentioned, if not here he is), Bob Harris, I can go on and on, but I have something to do right now. LATERS................
I have pictures somewhere of when they flipped the Tasmanian Devil (I'm pretty sure - it was a long time ago) heading back to the holding rope at Long Beach Stadium. It was sometime in the early to mid 70's I believe. If I remember correctly, he ended up hitting the safety boat.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Gary Cornwall

Gary and his brother Roger had a BFH, Hoof Harted around 1970. It had 2 counter rotating props.

Sunny Jones is best known for driving My Boat Too but before that he drove:
BAF More Power, owned by Sunny
BGF Plastic Toy, owned by Charlie Souza. Plastic Toy became More Power when Sunny bought it from Charley
BFH Smoke on the Water, Brendels
BFF Hot Damn Hondo, Brendels
BGF Black Power, owned by Sunny
BFJ Took drivers test at Red Bluff around 1982 in BFJ owned by Joe Hess

·
Registered
433 Posts
John Burrows, BFH, Burrows and McIntyre. As i remember John, also, had a BFF in the early 70's called Captain America.

Bill Burrows, RRF, held IHBA record in 1986 around 132mph

Wayne Adams, UGF, BAF, The Phantom. Wayne was a pilot with the Nevada Nat Air Guard. Flew a 104.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great Racers

Since you have already named two of the drivers who piloted dad's boats My Boat II and My Boat Too, keep in mind Clive Hughes drove his own BAF when Sonny could not make a race, he drove his sanger UFF to win the 1970 Nationals at LBMS against the likes of John Annin, Roy Schenone, Ron Williams and many others in a 16 boat field. That was a year after he flipped at the '69 Nationals at Perris and broke six ribs, punctured a lung and knocked his teeth out in the family ski/turned race boat. Then he helped form a sanger team, the remaining two boats were Annin's Whisker Biscuit and My Boat II. those were the days my friends. Thanks Dad for all of the excitement!!! Oh Sonny Jones and Bob Dice were amazing drivers, and really fun guys. I remember Halloween when Jones was wearing a gorilla mask as he went to the launch ramp, pawing at the kids looking on at Irvine only to lay down a 157 MPH run. I also remember when Dice jumped out of the boat at Phoenix because the throttle stuck at 130 MPH. The parachute worked that time, thanks Montrose Upholstry Bill for saving lives before the capsules. Those were the days. Oh and by the way, Eric says it is Tony Scarlotta who is the best Flatty driver ever. at least that was a few years ago, and I don't think Tony has slowed down any. Long live #188, and the Sonny Jones Memorial Trophy. Thank you for that honor, it was a great pride for my father and after his great friend lost his battle. thank you all.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have been told by a few people that my 19 daytona was once owned by "polish pilot" dave something, I can't remember out of san diego area. I would like to know more about it or see some old pictures. Yhats all the info I have unfortunately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Speedy Member
6,785 Posts
Since you have already named two of the drivers who piloted dad's boats My Boat II and My Boat Too, keep in mind Clive Hughes drove his own BAF when Sonny could not make a race, he drove his sanger UFF to win the 1970 Nationals at LBMS against the likes of John Annin, Roy Schenone, Ron Williams and many others in a 16 boat field. That was a year after he flipped at the '69 Nationals at Perris and broke six ribs, punctured a lung and knocked his teeth out in the family ski/turned race boat. Then he helped form a sanger team, the remaining two boats were Annin's Whisker Biscuit and My Boat II. those were the days my friends. Thanks Dad for all of the excitement!!! Oh Sonny Jones and Bob Dice were amazing drivers, and really fun guys. I remember Halloween when Jones was wearing a gorilla mask as he went to the launch ramp, pawing at the kids looking on at Irvine only to lay down a 157 MPH run. I also remember when Dice jumped out of the boat at Phoenix because the throttle stuck at 130 MPH. The parachute worked that time, thanks Montrose Upholstry Bill for saving lives before the capsules. Those were the days. Oh and by the way, Eric says it is Tony Scarlotta who is the best Flatty driver ever. at least that was a few years ago, and I don't think Tony has slowed down any. Long live #188, and the Sonny Jones Memorial Trophy. Thank you for that honor, it was a great pride for my father and after his great friend lost his battle. thank you all.
Thank you for the history in this post!! I have been told that Sonny Jones was at the top of the heap and I only wish I could've seen him race!! I have met Bob Dice once at Phoenix and he was quite the character!! If you are ever at a race, please come by and introduce yourself!

Tony Scarlata

201 - 220 of 248 Posts