Performance Boats Forum banner

221 - 240 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Thank you for the history in this post!! I have been told that Sonny Jones was at the top of the heap and I only wish I could've seen him race!! I have met Bob Dice once at Phoenix and he was quite the character!! If you are ever at a race, please come by and introduce yourself!

Tony Scarlata
Wasn't Sonny one of only a few drivers ever to hold a license in every pro class in NDBA?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Peddle Technique

Tony. Thanks for the reply. I will try to get my brother out to the races and stop by the pits to visit you. Come to think of it, early in your career, didn't you drive for the #188 team Blurred Vision at one point? They won the Sonny Jones Memorial in the final race of 1997. Congrats on your success and that in the future. If I am correct, Sonny was the first to use the simultaneous throttle and plate peddle technique. Before him, most everybody used Caselli's bury the nose routine. it changed the way the flatbottom left the line and lowered the ET's. Could you imagine the first time he tried it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. My Name is Michelle Smith. I am with Augusta Southern Nationals. I was hoping someone on this thread might be able to share a picture of the BGF that Mike Miller Drove called Hangem High. This was the one that wrecked in Augusta, Ga prior to 1993. We were able to recover some of the wreckage and now I am trying to find out some history. Any information is greatly appreciated. i know it was owned and driven by Mike Miller and crew cheif was Mike Mussey. They were both from Missouri and I know the precessor Hamg'em High 2 was in Augusta in 1993.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Best in Drag Boats

Rex Hutchison ,Steve Diede, Gloria Holstein, Jackie Cunningham, Chilly Willy Thomas , Robert Sanders, Kelly Rhead , Jerry Hicks ,John Swanson, Jason Cruise, Kenny Francis, & Joe " Gambler" Podowski, Sorry if I spell the names wrong. RACERICK

·
Registered
473 Posts
Add one more

Mike Miller in the ''AHA SUM TOY'' Ran IHBA- NJBA IN THE BGH. That was a strong field. first BGH with a capsule.Top notch race team

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
A Friend From the 60s

We are working on a series of articles centering around the greatest names in drag boat history. Would really appreciate a list of names from our members ranging from the 60s until current. Please provide driver, class that he drove and the name/s of the boat.
Roy Gollott, a founding member of APBA's Super Stock circle racing class and record holder of APBA and NDBA blown gas hydro records @ 1490.00 & 152.54 in the late 60s.
Boat was called Swamp Rat.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi. My Name is Michelle Smith. I am with Augusta Southern Nationals. I was hoping someone on this thread might be able to share a picture of the BGF that Mike Miller Drove called Hangem High. This was the one that wrecked in Augusta, Ga prior to 1993. We were able to recover some of the wreckage and now I am trying to find out some history. Any information is greatly appreciated. i know it was owned and driven by Mike Miller and crew cheif was Mike Mussey. They were both from Missouri and I know the precessor Hamg'em High 2 was in Augusta in 1993.
What did you recover? Mike Miller is no longer with us, he took his life some years ago

·
Registered
709 Posts
Mike Fry, TAH, #437, Meanstreak ................ Don't know if he listed on here, If not he is now, Damn good driver, and a great guy!!!!!! Taken way to early.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Later drivers who made many laps down the liquid quarter mile winning races and setting records:
Jim Van **** - BGH
Charlie Christman - PGH
Wild Bill Rivas - Unblown Hydro
Steve Diede - CH / PGH
Rod Alexander - BGH Hydro / BAH
Mel Kirby - BGH
Steve Zollinger - CH / PGH
Terry Newton - CH / PGH
Steve Varner - TFH

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
He was a badass he was my uncle not only raced boats but was leading in Cutting horses.
I always like it when someone talks about Vern. He was one of my idol's when I was 13-14 yrs old during the time Vern had his place at Moyer's Resort on Konocti Bay at Clearlake. I hung out with his son. Vern had an all red Aqua Craft I believe powered by a nailhead Buick. It ran 75-80 at the time
( around 1962) but Verns driving made it look like 100! It was so cool to see him progress up to the top flatbottom class BFF, particularly on a tight budget. So many people never knew who that "other guy" was in the famous double crash (Ray Caselli & Vern Amaral) at the Oakland estuary.
Cool guy!! Jocko

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,576 Posts
Roy Gollott, a founding member of APBA's Super Stock circle racing class and record holder of APBA and NDBA blown gas hydro records @ 1490.00 & 152.54 in the late 60s.
Boat was called Swamp Rat.
Good to see this...I was reading down and thought about Roy and his contribution...I'm sure most don't remember..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good to see this...I was reading down and thought about Roy and his contribution...I'm sure most don't remember..
Roy is the reason I love these fast boats. I rode on his lap at the tender age of 5 in a ski hydro he brought out to Calero reservoir. As I recall we ran about 90 mph that day.

221 - 240 of 248 Posts