Performance Boats Forum banner

241 - 248 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Roy was a great man even outside of boat racing

Roy Gollot was my Machining Teacher @ San Jose Regional Vocational Center 1976-1978. I still remember the first day @ Voc. we were in line to clock out and at the time I still had hair 3/4 of the way down my back. my last name is VonHarten.... Mr. Gollott says out loud foe all to hear... "Hey vonhooten. I hear you're a no good hippie" to which I replied "hey F.O. my name is Von Harten, and don't you forget it. He walked up to me and took back my time card. He crossed out my score for that day of 10, and marked down 12 and handed it back. Apparently he liked my Moxy. I went on to be the first High School Junior (in the world) to ever win a Gold Medal @ VICA, which was a skill Olympics. After winning him a gold medal, I of course became his favorite student, which allowed me the honor of building a lot of components for his Son Rory's go cart. I'd have to say Mr. Gollotts best contributions to my life were building my confidence, which neither of my Parents ever bothered with. in fact quite the opposite. but even moreso he taught me to have no "box" to think outside of, which allowed me to have absolute freedom in how I approached every part I've ever machined or programmed. I also remember one time I got in trouble, expelled from Voc Center, for something another student claimed I had done, ehich I had not, and Roy went into the main office with me and told them to re-instate me immediately, or he would resign on the spot. To me, that was HUGE!!! No one before or since has put themselves on the line for me like that. I imagine that says something of what he thought of me, but I assure you, it says so much more of how I felt about him. The day I learned of his passing, had a very profound affect on me, and I cried openly right in front of the entire class that was in session. It was another of his former students, now filling Mr. Gollots role as the Shop Teacher, that told me of Gollott's passing. (I'm drawing a blank of his name. it's Marc ....)
Any way, thank you so much for giving mention to an Icon such as Roy, and for the awesome photo you posted. I've never seen any photos from his racing career.
Again, Thank You, Tony VonHarten.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dick Powel

I am pretty sure Dick never ran the liquid quarter mile, but he held some records in boat racing, and I am pretty sure he made many contributions to the world of boat racing.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Roy Gollot was my Machining Teacher @ San Jose Regional Vocational Center 1976-1978. I still remember the first day @ Voc. we were in line to clock out and at the time I still had hair 3/4 of the way down my back. my last name is VonHarten.... Mr. Gollott says out loud foe all to hear... "Hey vonhooten. I hear you're a no good hippie" to which I replied "hey F.O. my name is Von Harten, and don't you forget it. He walked up to me and took back my time card. He crossed out my score for that day of 10, and marked down 12 and handed it back. Apparently he liked my Moxy. I went on to be the first High School Junior (in the world) to ever win a Gold Medal @ VICA, which was a skill Olympics. After winning him a gold medal, I of course became his favorite student, which allowed me the honor of building a lot of components for his Son Rory's go cart. I'd have to say Mr. Gollotts best contributions to my life were building my confidence, which neither of my Parents ever bothered with. in fact quite the opposite. but even moreso he taught me to have no "box" to think outside of, which allowed me to have absolute freedom in how I approached every part I've ever machined or programmed. I also remember one time I got in trouble, expelled from Voc Center, for something another student claimed I had done, ehich I had not, and Roy went into the main office with me and told them to re-instate me immediately, or he would resign on the spot. To me, that was HUGE!!! No one before or since has put themselves on the line for me like that. I imagine that says something of what he thought of me, but I assure you, it says so much more of how I felt about him. The day I learned of his passing, had a very profound affect on me, and I cried openly right in front of the entire class that was in session. It was another of his former students, now filling Mr. Gollots role as the Shop Teacher, that told me of Gollott's passing. (I'm drawing a blank of his name. it's Marc ....)
Any way, thank you so much for giving mention to an Icon such as Roy, and for the awesome photo you posted. I've never seen any photos from his racing career.
Again, Thank You, Tony VonHarten.

Tony,
nice read. That’s good stuff :))THumbsUp

It’s a shame that classes like that are all but gone. Very few left I’d think,somehow the school I went to (San Clemente) still has theirs.
all all the best,
Brian

·
Lookout I'm Crankin it Baby
6,576 Posts
Roy was my second Dad...I could tell stories of Roy for days. He was one hell of a teacher..and he taught me lots of boating stuff...when we went racing it was just him and I...we would jump in his truck and off we went. What a great life for a kid...loved him

241 - 248 of 248 Posts