Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i bit the bullet. spent $2800, and now i've got my very first boat. i'm itching to get her in the water to see what i need/ want to do to the boat first. just wanna to thank you guys for helping me with my purchase. see ya' on the delta:)devil!!
IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Enjoy The Boating Life. Do Yourself A Favor. Put Fresh Batteries, Fresh Oil, Change All Filters (oil And Fuel) And Get Rid Of Any Old Gas In The Boat. Just The Common Sense Stuff !!!! I Can Not Tell You How Many Guys I Tow To Shore Because They Just Bought The Boat From A Buddy And The Batteries Are No Good, Or There Is Sluge In The Oil From Sitting... But Other Than The Disclamer, Tear It Up Out There !!!!!!! Congrates......

·
Registered
156 Posts
Can't tell you how many people were at the lake this weekend and had dead batteries for the begining of the season. An old guy told me years ago. Spend $80 for a new battery and put it in at the begining of the year. Save a lot of hassel and make for a good year.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the seller put it in the water for you?
unfortunately not:|err, so keep your fingers crossed and wish me luck on my maiden voyage (hopefully this weekend). anyone know of of good places to go, for a first ride, in the sf bay area (near castro valley/ hayward)?

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
I would replace any water feed lines inside the boat if its been sitting. Water line from the pump to the engine, Lines to the snails yada yada. Nothing like sinking a boat on the 1st day. Oh yea, when you come to a stop, WATCH YOUR OWN WAKE. I noticed you didn't have a splash gaurd:D

·
Cajun Member
1,436 Posts
Looks like a cool first rig,don't let off the throttle fast when haulin ass or your own wake will catch up with your transom like Cave said.Remember when you loose power or let off the throttle you have little to no steering.Good luck,someone here will probably make ya a smokin deal on new steering wheel ;)
Check ya bunk boards when ya dump the boat in the water...

·
Strap on the JATO
305 Posts
unfortunately not:|err, so keep your fingers crossed and wish me luck on my maiden voyage (hopefully this weekend). anyone know of of good places to go, for a first ride, in the sf bay area (near castro valley/ hayward)?
Play it safe & go to the delta early, it's usually like glass......

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
yes go early. stay close to shore.. take a cell phone with you incase you break... But the big questions are... Does it Float? and how bad does it leak.. If those two things are gtg everything else is fixable just $$... take the adivce that was given about the water hoses fuel hoses oil change filter changes and ditching any old gas in the tanks.. all that should cost less than 100 bucks and its good insurance. Also make sure your battery is GTG and if you have any doubts just replace it.

good luck and take pictures.

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts
Welcome to the Delta. Where you launching from? I saw the reference to SF. That's not a good place to start. IMHO. Where's your driveway? Let's start there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you wanted to tow a bit farther, there will be a large--probably 20-30 boats--group of jet boats from the banderlog board at New Hogan this weekend. It is a friendly, knowledgeable group that could help out on that maiden voyage. You can check out the details here. www.banderlog.com under the outings forum.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hey, you bought that 16.

If you get a chance to drain the fuel, take a look down the fill and check the condition of the tank. They're steel and tend to rust a way. The one in my '68 is like brand new inside, I lucked out, but you don't want to develop a leak, have the fuel drain into the hull and lift the carpet, or worse, ignite and blow you ass out of it.

The Olds was the perfect jet boat engine, we used far more of them than BBC or BBF. A big part of it was price, but the other thing is they're a rock solid engine connected to a pump...until you start to mess with the impeller and try to spin the engine higher. Stock, it'll live forever.

Ditch the OT's and put the thru transom exhaust back on, they gain nothing, maybe 300 rpm and some noise.

Don't worry about a splash shield on that thing, tiny wake when compared to bigger boats.

Like I said in another post, ya gotta get a new steeing wheel. Moon still carries 3 spoke flake wheels in a hand full of colors, I'm color blind so I don't know what color you need, but they have the black and white wheels too.
The one on there now just don't look right. :)
Here's a link...
http://www.mooneyesusa.com/Store/index.php?cPath=188_74&osCsid=05aa6cc26d30050420b48f23cf8764a4

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Transom straps

I can't tell from the pics if your transom "chains" have a strap "link" in them. You really DON'T want solid chains holding the boat down. Use something with a little "stretch" in them.....I've seen chains and turnbuckles rip the eyes out of the transom and they don't come out cleanly, usually leaving a good size hole where you don't want one........The suggestion to do some "driveway" testing is right on the mark. Learn how to keep the impeller/wear ring wet, supply water to the engine, and do a little trailer running before you head out....You may find stupid little things that are easy to fix on the trailer and serious problems on the water..............AND watch those wakes coming at you from behind!!!!! (not necessarily yours).....Ray....69 Tahiti jet tank........

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Bunk Boards Are Holding The Boat Off The Trailer. They Can Deteriorate Over Time And The Carpet Can Wear Off Leaving The Bottom Of Your New Girl Resting On Bare Wood !!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts