Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a stock 460 on my jet boat and was wondering what is a normal engine tempature and oil pressure reading should be on my guages......what should my range be....THANKS

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Ok, I have a stock 460 on my jet boat and was wondering what is a normal engine tempature and oil pressure reading should be on my guages......what should my range be....THANKS
Depending on the type oil pump (installed) as well as a number of other factors , around 25 to 30 (hot idle) and 45 to 60 +or - at speed , rule of thumb is 10 psi for 100 rpms however I've never been confortable with that re the temp most jets will run from 100* to maybe 140*-160* (again depending on factors) such as headers or logs and then the type of log plumbing Maybe describe what you have ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told i have a bone STOCK 460 with a stock oil pump and tansom headers with stock berkely 12jg pump with jetovator

Depending on the type oil pump (installed) as well as a number of other factors , around 25 to 30 (hot idle) and 45 to 60 +or - at speed , rule of thumb is 10 psi for 100 rpms however I've never been confortable with that re the temp most jets will run from 100* to maybe 140*-160* (again depending on factors) such as headers or logs and then the type of log plumbing Maybe describe what you have ?

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Change....

It's not so much a given number you're looking for, as it any changes during an outing. If your pressure is normally X, and suddenly it goes way down, or way up, you would need to find out why. Same can be said for temp, establish a "normal", and keep an eye out for drastic changes...Also, be careful of where you launch and beach. You can suck up a bunch of weeds in the pump and your temp gauge may not show overheating because there is NO WATER to soak the sender....You won't realize it until you're outside the no wake zone and the boat won't go. If that ever happens, paddle the boat back to the ramp and put it on the trailer to cool off and remove the weeds. Allow the engine to cool waaaay down before you put cold river/lake water into it. A lot of blocks and heads have been cracked because the weeds are removed and cold water ingested into a very hot engine...
Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts