Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Dreaming of snow
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a gun owner, have various guns but nothing that my wife would be comfortable learning on. Ive been trying to get her to learn how to shoot, and now she is starting to warm up to the idea. I have been looking at .22's, but want to know others experiences with their lady shooting. We are looking at the Sig Mosquito. Short enough to easily hide and harder for someone to take form her. Also light enough for her to handle. Was looking at a SW LR, but thought with the weight and 6" barrell that it may not be the best choice. Wanted to stick to Sig, SW, or HK. Have a Rueger P95, and a Taurus 45 that just arent that great. Dont even want to look at Glock (im not a gang banger), need a gun better known for function than a street name.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Cat, you are selling Glock's short by a long margin!!!

For your wife to learn to shoot, find something that fits comfortably in her hand and go from there. If it doesnt feel comfortable just holding the gun, it wont be comfortable shooting. Caliber choice is after that. For self defense, dont look below 9mm - learning on a 9 is very easy as well. Kinda like the ol' 38 special :D

I am an old 1911 fan and prefer larger calibers, but the recoil and noise may intimidate her. I carry a Glock 23 everyday and it is light and flat.

·
Registered
874 Posts
My next gun purchase will be a Ruger P944.... We have the Ruger p95 and I love it. It all depends on why she wants to have a gun. .22's are fun, but they won't knock someone down.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Don't buy her a 22, will not stop a perp unless it's for target shooting. Look into sub-compact models. Most gun makers now make them. The XD9 sub or the baby eagle micro 38 will do nicely.

·
Marine Organism
12,803 Posts
Snub .38 Special. They make some nice hammerless models.

.22s like a Ruger Mark II are great to plink with and practice!

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
The Glocks are a great weapon and highly reliable...but they don't make a .22. I have a Walther P22 and that's good fun - all the girls like to shoot it too..but I wouldn't recommend that for personal protection. 9mm as a minimum.

You can start her out on the .22, just to get her used to shooting, but move up to 9mm or .38 fairly quickly. If she likes the revolvers, those are super reliable as she can't limp-wrist it and doesn't have the possibility of malfunction like a semi-auto, but reloads are a PITA comparatively.

Once she can shoot it, go take a class - that will help more than anything. Since you're in CA, consider Front Sight outside Pahrump, NV. You can buy a certificate for two (you and her) to take the 2-day class, or for one person to take the 4-day class for around $100 on the internet/ebay. The 4-day defensive handgun class is great and normally tuition is $2k! The certificate is the way to go.

Training is more important than the weapon. As they say at FS, "Any gun will do, if you will do." ;)

·
About 500' AGL
2,239 Posts
Dont even want to look at Glock (im not a gang banger), need a gun better known for function than a street name.
That's one hell of a statement about probably the simplest, most functional and reliable handguns on the market. Not to mention the fact that it passed the FBI's grueling testing process for function and reliablilty with flying colors and is carried and trusted by thousands of Federal, State and Local Police Agencies nationwide. :)bulb

·
Registered
313 Posts
The new Ruger LCP .380 auto is a nice purse/pocket gun for anyone. Load it up with hollow points and squeeze away.

Honestly though.. my favorite self defence gun for a woman....

Taurus Judge

From Taurus' Website:

" What a name! It's based on the fact that many judges are now carrying it into the courtroom with them - and for good reason. We know of no better self-defense firearm. Whether loading all 45s - all .410s or alternating them in the cylinder, the Judge is the ultimate shotgun/revolver duo. New for 2008, we're giving you the Judge in Ultra-Lite forged alloy. You'll also be amazed how light this gun is and how easy it is to tote around. Also new is the Judge 3" Magnum. Larger and more powerful, this Judge gives you the extra firepower you need when you have to lay down the law."

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I wanted to get that Taurus "Judge" but stupid California won't allow it. Go figure. It's considered an SBS.

I have the same problem with my gf, she won't touch my .45, she watched me at the gun range and said there is no way in hell she's shooting that. lol. I just recently bought a Ruger mkIII hunter .22 in a 6 7/8 barrell, mainly for me to shoot small stuff and have for cheap target practice. She's ok with the weight of it, has yet to shoot it though. I was thinking about picking up a M&P compact in a .40 for her. If for some reason she has to shoot someone (hopefully not me. lol) I want to make sure it counts.

·
Registered
774 Posts
IMO
the Sig 22 will jam on you , mine does
9MM glock is a good gun but not for self defense if you do not shot much,
The Judge is a nice gun I like mine I keep 3-410's and 2-45LC's in it,
.38 Charter arms revolver is what I would suggest for a lady that does not shoot alot. Good grip and easy to use the wife loves hers.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.