Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard all kinds of different opinions why GW's are better than well set up v-hulls and so much worse than a well set up tunnel like a Cheyenne or TPR. Ive read pretty much all the bad endings of v-hulls, but my question is with a super efficient rig on a V - VS. same weight/HP/pump on a GW - all things being the same...how much better is the GW and what makes it happen? how much lift does the GW produce vs a v @ 90 mph + simple discussion...

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Mike has a valid point... There have been some really hard running Rogers over the years on these boards and he was involved with a few if I'm not mistaken...

I think it's very hard to compare apples to apples in this. IMO a gullwing will provide a much more "stable" ride while generating a good amount of lift in a moderate power deal.. Some of the v-bottom hulls have been successfull in running a number but to me they look to chine walk alot more. Once again, just my oppinion and obviosly I'm biased.......

I don't know where the HP limit is where a tunnel starts to be a better package than a gullwing, but there definately is one.... I think a straight comparison with say 650 HP between the two identical weighted river boats and the GW will out perform the tunnel for a typical 800 ft river race... But then there are the curent PC's and Southwind tunnels that guys on here have been making run extremely well too...... Very hard to say and the argument will go on and on, becasue there is no way to really test the theory without exactly matching weight and power.......

I still say room, handling, acceleration, etc etc.... A good running GW is hard to beat.....

·
Registered
510 Posts
Mike has a valid point... There have been some really hard running Rogers over the years on these boards and he was involved with a few if I'm not mistaken...

I think it's very hard to compare apples to apples in this. IMO a gullwing will provide a much more "stable" ride while generating a good amount of lift in a moderate power deal.. Some of the v-bottom hulls have been successfull in running a number but to me they look to chine walk alot more. Once again, just my oppinion and obviosly I'm biased.......

I don't know where the HP limit is where a tunnel starts to be a better package than a gullwing, but there definately is one.... I think a straight comparison with say 650 HP between the two identical weighted river boats and the GW will out perform the tunnel for a typical 800 ft river race... But then there are the curent PC's and Southwind tunnels that guys on here have been making run extremely well too...... Very hard to say and the argument will go on and on, becasue there is no way to really test the theory without exactly matching weight and power.......

I still say room, handling, acceleration, etc etc.... A good running GW is hard to beat.....

X2
well said jason

·
Registered
319 Posts
vee bottoms

there's a reason the sanctioning organizations didn't allow blowers on vee-bottom jets. after an infamous mishap. the vee in question was a gw. I think it was Dan Pasterini. SDBA. early 80's maybe.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts

The PC's And Southwinds are mod V's, not true tunnels.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Rogers

Why no Rogers Custom Boats holding your statement down?:)Unsure
I have a 76 rogers, 720lbs bare hull (bare.....nothing!!!!) with 690 h.p. that runs 98.6 on gps, and it ran 10.35e.t. @ 98.8 at ming through the lights with a 300lb. driver (first time going to the races). Not sure how that would hold up to an equal gull wing, but it runs pretty good for an old heavy full interior boat. I know that there are lots of fast gull wings, but it's hard to compare without equal weight and H.P.

·
Banned
186 Posts
All things equal (weight, power) I'd put a Rogers Bonneville against a gullwing to win.

I'm not really going to get involved here. It has been done several times. 100% of the time it has NOT been with equal weight and power at least when I've watched or been involved.

ALL things being equal, a Gullwing set up as a Riverboat vs a Rogers set up as a River Boat, I feel the Gullwing will win in 600'-800' feet EVERYY time.

Of course, it you apply 1300 hp(or a little more :happy:) to a brick, it will become a VERY quick brick(NOT implying that Rogers Boats are bricks at all!!).

Just my opinion. Others will have different opinions.

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas, and hope everyone has a happy and prosperous 2013 now that 'DoomsDay' has come and gone :hmmm: :happy:.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Good point Tim... But you guys are putting up some damn respectable numbers and would not be an easy target for most "river racer" types...

Big Dog, 98 with under 700 hp in 700+ pound hull is truckin for sure...

The question of "which is better?" will never be answered... it would be very interesting to set up two identical weight boats and get them as dialed as possible and then run them with 1 documented engine on the track to see once and for all..... But I don't see that happening anytime soon...

You just have to factor it all in, interior space, handling, quickness, driveability, etc etc and choose one that fits your needs....

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have a 76 rogers, 720lbs bare hull (bare.....nothing!!!!) with 690 h.p. that runs 98.6 on gps, and it ran 10.35e.t. @ 98.8 at ming through the lights with a 300lb. driver (first time going to the races). Not sure how that would hold up to an equal gull wing, but it runs pretty good for an old heavy full interior boat. I know that there are lots of fast gull wings, but it's hard to compare without equal weight and H.P.
Ive seen it run faster than that

·
Driver
3,195 Posts
I had a CoLe boat v-bottom and on all motor it handled a few tunnels and gw some same hp some more it was a quick boat not fast for the hp it had oh yeah it was on pump gas and a Ford

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Which of these two hull styles do you see more of? Thus may lie your answer........
I'm sure if rogers boats were as easily to obtain as a gullwing you would see more of them. As far as a drag race type of boat nothing will touch a gull wing. Not sure any rogers ever ran the numbers that Morgan, lakamp, or roznos have been able to put up.

·
"Need For Speed"
1,210 Posts
I'm sure if rogers boats were as easily to obtain as a gullwing you would see more of them.....
Kind of part of my point........... If the Rodgers style hull had superior performance..... would it not then be more popular and more in demand, more constructed..... thus more available and easier to obtain? Just sayin:notsure:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll have to say after owning each, the GW is my choice and not just because it's what I'm driving now or even because it's faster. The ride is just so much better. IMO there's really no comparison.
You are probably the best person to answer to the original question. Having driven and driven IN some fairly fast to very fast tunnels, and a GW... the tunnel -to me - seems the most preferable. Especially Wedik's TPR. But if a V-hull is set up optimal (kachina in my case) vs a GW in your case, and both break the water say - 12" -in front of the intake... and both boats are the same weight and same engine makin 650 hp, with identical pumps - would the winger be that much better of a ride and faster at the same time??

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm sure if rogers boats were as easily to obtain as a gullwing you would see more of them. As far as a drag race type of boat nothing will touch a gull wing. Not sure any rogers ever ran the numbers that Morgan, lakamp, or roznos have been able to put up.
Kind of part of my point........... If the Rodgers style hull had superior performance..... would it not then be more popular and more in demand, more constructed..... thus more available and easier to obtain? Just sayin:notsure:
What Im askin you guys that have been there and done that is:
GW.700hp.500lbhull.badasspump
vs.
respectable Vhull.700hp.500lbhull.badasspump...\
best bottom work done to each.,

is the GW truly that much better,
or is it truly a test of who can tune better?:)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts