Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my daughter goes into work this afternoon & is meet by the District Manager (they come in from time to time to drill everyone on the day to day operations of the store) no big deal. She is asked to come to the back office where she is given the phone & the guy on the other side states he is with the Loss Prevention group for said store & proceeds to have casual conversion with her about School, What she drives, Interest's ect...after 15 Min's or so she asks what is this about? He states he is getting to it & proceeds to ask her why is she steeling from the store? How many items has she stolen 15-20? Does she do it out of peer-pressure? Does she need the money? Now she is in tears & freaked out wants to call home...He says no! & then she is given a form to fill out & sign stating what she has done! she refused, I'm calling my parents...He states if she hangs up she will be suspended from work for interfering with the invwstagation....Hystircall she leaves the store & calls us from her car needing us to come & get her....I go into the store & talk to the store manager & he states he was told by the district manager that my daughter was suspended from work until further notice! He did not know why & stated she left so upset & was concerned for her...Just for some insight she has worked there now for 3 years while going to collage & was recruited by them from there sister store Hollister after working there 1+ years...She doesn't want her job there! to say the least....I talked to the guy who talked to her on the phone, He tells me he did not bully her or try to force a confession which is BS. He would not share any info...Has no proof that he could share with me or my daughter. He stated he will file his report with H.R. & that they would be in contact with her...WTF...the guy I spoke to didn't sound much older Punk Azz!

I will surly be on the phone with corporate first thing am!!!! dose these sound right? Any recourse? Interview over the phone?!!! Want to fill out & sign a statement in distress!!!!

Thanks!
Wade....

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
If she did something wrong, she'd be in handcuffs. Also, I'm sure if there was a legitimate issue, the interview would have been recorded as evidence.

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are dream jobs for teenage girls! Can they treat them like this? Just some insight: this is the same girl that paid for one movie & snuk into another only to call me and ask if caught would she go to jail...lol

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
These are dream jobs for teenage girls! Can they treat them like this? Just some insight: this is the same girl that paid for one movie & snuk into another only to call me and ask if caught would she go to jail...lol
Something doesn't seem right. Keep trying to find out what happened.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I think I'd be recording every conversation I had with anyone from that company. I'd also start by contacting an attorney immediately. Thats a pretty messed up scenario right there. As far as the store manager being concerned, I'd bet that was a con job on there part. The accusation sure didn't originate from a District Manager.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
i would talk to a labor law atty.being suspended with out cause i think alone is a legal foot in the door..i think. shoot my wife a pm tomorrow at riverdaves place. or do it now and she'll get it tomorrow she is in HR and might have a real answer. her handle is "Mrs. bordsmnj". good luck with this. :|err

·
Registered
653 Posts
Loss prevention from what i've seen, is in person (not by phone) and there's is always a third party. I would definetly question the reason, proof of what they said she did, etc....

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
This whole thing sounds sketchy based on your story.

Only 2 options I see here:

1. A&F is way out of line with the personal questions and so on.

2. They have video or first hand proof of stealing and are probably still way out of line with the personal questions and so on.

I'd contact an HR pro first. But based on my limited knowledge and your daughter telling the truth, the labor board would likely be real interested in this scenario I would guess. The casual conversation mentioned about school, what she drives, interests etc. seems totally out of line regardless of if she was caught stealing or not. If she was stealing show the proof and fire her, end of story. Otherwise stfu A&F. As an employee if I were accused of stealing and threatened in this manner and was not guilty, they produced no proof etc., A&F would have it shoved so far up their ass legally the founder of the company would feel it.

On the 2 occasions I can recall when we've caught an employee stealing they were fired on the spot (with proof). As an employer you never enter into this situation without proof. It completely baffles me why they would beat around the bush if she was actually stealing.

Imo she did exactly the correct thing by refusing to sign and hauling ass. This whole story reeks of inappropriateness at the very least and likely being illegal on the part of A&F.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I used to run a Good Guys store and it sounds to me like they are fishing. I would say they have a problem in this store and they don't know who it is. I can tell you without ever setting foot in this store they have cameras that you can see and that you cant see and if they had any real proof they would have been in there in person. The store manager is a coward because nothing like this would go on with out him knowing it. He would be the one to get the investigation started. The first thing that they have done that will bite them in the ass is putting her in the room with just the regional manager. There should have been at least 2 people in their with her and 1 would have been a woman if it was me. I have cough people steeling and never do you go at some one like this unless the video is already set to show them when they claim they didn't do it. When we cough people they were taken out in hand cuffs and walked the long way out for every other employee to see as they left in tears. They didn't do that because they don't have anything. If you want the HR people to talk to you the only thing you can really try is tell them that she was very uncomfortable and intimated by the regional manger that was the only person in the office with her during the interview and you will be contacting your lawyer if you don't get some answers. This might not even work. As soon as an HR manager gets wind of this they will all be told to keep there mouths shut.
Don't let this go. Make sure that they don't put on her employment record that she was let go for theft. If they can prov it then its not why she was let go. I was the guy they moved from store to store to fix problems and someone has made a bad mistake here.

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
this guy may have had the hots for your daughter at some point. could have approached your daughter on a personal level in the past. you daughter may have shot him down and this was his retaliation cause hes a bipolar freak show. i think there is something here for sure. u need to file with the labor board hopefully she has witnesses that will attest to here demeanor as she left hysterically. good luck with this and let us know what was the out come if they had something on her about stealing it would not have been done over the phone. they would have been there in person with the police. esp a corp that big. they may have had a tip from someone in the store and watched via camera from a corportate location and were not wanting to fire her but get her to come clean and deal with it in house if thats the case they went about it the wrong way. sound like there is going to be some he said she said crap here so i wish you all the luck in the world. i have no doubt you daughter is no theif.

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My daughter tells me that they have a anonymous tip line anyone can call to report issue's with in the store's. From time to time a group of the employee's would go out to eat after they closed the store, several have been over here playing Wii into the niter hanging out...There is one kid that keep making advances toward my daughter to the point it became stalkerish..Her uncle (Ventura Sheriff) went to the store & talked to him and all seemed to be OK for the last 8-12 weeks...We are now wondering if he made a call? for we are told theres is rummer running around the store that he has been reported to H.R. For sexual harassment, that the manager confirmed there was a complaint however he has not been interviewed to this point, like he doesn't know theres a complaint as of yet, but everyone else in the store knows!! My wife works in a law office & is going to run this past them before I make anymore calls....My daughter is over the job she feels scared, Humiliated ect... its just not right!!!!!

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this guy may have had the hots for your daughter at some point. could have approached your daughter on a personal level in the past. you daughter may have shot him down and this was his retaliation cause hes a bipolar freak show. i think there is something here for sure. u need to file with the labor board hopefully she has witnesses that will attest to here demeanor as she left hysterically. good luck with this and let us know what was the out come if they had something on her about stealing it would not have been done over the phone. they would have been there in person with the police. esp a corp that big. they may have had a tip from someone in the store and watched via camera from a corportate location and were not wanting to fire her but get her to come clean and deal with it in house if thats the case they went about it the wrong way. sound like there is going to be some he said she said crap here so i wish you all the luck in the world. i have no doubt you daughter is no theif.
She has no ideal who the guy on the phone is/was....I belive he travels around to a bunch of stores..She's never seen him.

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
My daughter tells me that they have a anonymous tip line anyone can call to report issue's with in the store's. From time to time a group of the employee's would go out to eat after they closed the store, several have been over here playing Wii into the niter hanging out...There is one kid that keep making advances toward my daughter to the point it became stalkerish..Her uncle (Ventura Sheriff) went to the store & talked to him and all seemed to be OK for the last 8-12 weeks...We are now wondering if he made a call? for we are told theres is rummer running around the store that he has been reported to H.R. For sexual harassment, that the manager confirmed there was a complaint however he has not been interviewed to this point, like he doesn't know theres a complaint as of yet, but everyone else in the store knows!! My wife works in a law office & is going to run this past them before I make anymore calls....My daughter is over the job she feels scared, Humiliated ect... its just not right!!!!!

that is lawsuit material right there ambercrombie and fitch can soon become ambercrombie and venomous :)sphss:)sphss:)sphss:)sphss just a thought. you know we live in a litigious world

·
Hangin' with Kobayashi
489 Posts
Can they suspend her without any reason? If she is suspended is she still getting paid? If not, then may she should call up the labor board and see what they say about this situation. If she stole then show the evidence, videos, etc. If not put her back to work and tell her that they are clamping down on employee theft and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts

Those anonymous tip lines are not anonymous at all. My wife works as a Manager in the grovery biz and LP knows exactly who called and the info is usually leaked back to the store.

BTW
Cali is a 2-party state - meaning you need consent of both parties to record a telephone conversation. Since it was a telephone call, I would think the investigator on the other line was recording the conversation, especially if he was looking for a confession. When you do call, you might ask, in a roundabout way, if the call was recorded. Do you know where the investigator called from?

Does your daughter have the form they tried to get her to sign? She is over 18?

Sexual harassment claims and stalker claims are not taken lightly, at least not in the grocery biz; or even by municipal agencies. There's way too much liability, they usually address those info in prompt fashion.

When I read your post; I too thought somebody could be falsely reporting her, assuming she is teeling you anything and everything.

I'm blown away at their tactics though, wow.

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
I feel really bad for you daughter. Not fair what they put her through.

I suggest a little river therapy to help her through it. :D

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Tell your daughter she wont get in trouble but to come clean if she has ever taken so much as a paperclip from her job. Inform her that you must know because you are about to take serious action and you need to be assured of her 100% innocence.

Go to directly to corp. HQ ( F’ the regional guys) and speak with VP of HR. Be professional and state what happened, and the fact there was no credible evidence or probable cause given before hammering your daughter and the fact that it was borderline kidnapping though intimidation. Inform them how it was handled and think ahead of time what you are trying to accomplish (her job back, record cleaned, personal punished, money, etc). Based on his/her response you’ll find out real quick if this type of thing is part of the AF culture or if they are professional and take it as serious as you do.

In the meantime, I would be sourcing who you may want to use for legal as I would be suing the living sheet out of these guys as this story pissed me off and I don’t even know you, but I am a parent. One thing that has always worked for me is the media. The local and national news freaking love stories like this as much as AF will dread it. Tee up one of your local news investigative dept or try all 4 networks – I bet one will bite and let them know you are going to try to solve it first on yor own, but stay tuned.

At the end of the day be prepared to make a lot of calls and a lot of attempts at getting put on hold and shoved down the ladder. Stay tenacious on those bastards, be professional but let them know you mean biz. Threaten the media if you come to a dead end and most of all start a file and document every call,action, time and date, names, conversation etc. Who knows in the future it could be renamed Abercrombie, Fitch and Venomous.

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can they suspend her without any reason? If she is suspended is she still getting paid? If not, then may she should call up the labor board and see what they say about this situation. If she stole then show the evidence, videos, etc. If not put her back to work and tell her that they are clamping down on employee theft and be done with it.
She stated again she was going to call her parents & she was hanging up to do so..The caller stated if you hang up you will be suspended from work for not cooperating with his investigation!!!! She left the store crying & called us from her car....

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
totally inappropriate....

First the issue needs to be taken up with their corporate Human Resources whether you get resolution or not. Their corp HR probably doesn't even know what happened.

Schedule and appointment and go direct to the top human resources and explain the whole situation in detail to them.

If its a good company and a good HR director the issue will be handled. Good HR directors are supposed to prevent corporations from getting sued by mistakes in handling issues such as this, which this appears to be...

If not, fawk them...:):)punch

Bad HR directors keep labor law attorneys rich and driving Bently's.... ask me how I know

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
Tell your daughter she wont get in trouble but to come clean if she has ever taken so much as a paperclip from her job. Inform her that you must know because you are about to take serious action and you need to be assured of her 100% innocence.
This is EXACTLY what needs to be done first. I was once a kid and she needs to understand the end game here if she is gonna truly come clean.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts