Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Nostalgia Flat 01
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1977 Riviera I am restoring has a Hallcraft Rudder assembly. The boat sat for many years and the Rudder has a lot of slop in it. I disassembled everything, cleaned it up & replated the Rudder. There was no shaft seals installed. The Grease Fitting on the Shaft Log is good. Do I just pack the snot out of this with waterproof grease for a water seal?

Attachments

·
Nostalgia Flat 01
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hallcraft Rudder

Pictures after re-installation. I have put quite a bit of grease into the Rudder Shaft Log and it seems to be taking away some of the play. Just not sure how much grease to pack into the Log.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Why don't you send us a picture of the top of the rudder box. If there are no seals or stuffing material you might want to replace it while you have it apart

·
Nostalgia Flat 01
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hall Craft Rudder Shaft Log

The Rudder Shaft Log I.D. Is 1 1/4 inch. There are packing rubber seal rings at top and bottom of Shaft Log inside, see pictures. Rudder Shaft O.D. is 1 1/8 inch. Looks like I just need to replace both rubber seals. Where might I find these?

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,888 Posts
bump :54:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Seals

The Rudder Shaft Log I.D. Is 1 1/4 inch. There are packing rubber seal rings at top and bottom of Shaft Log inside, see pictures. Rudder Shaft O.D. is 1 1/8 inch. Looks like I just need to replace both rubber seals. Where might I find these?
Ace Hardware take old seals to match. Careful installing shaft to not pinch or roll them during assembly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts