Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
MLC - Mid Life Crisis
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever walk into their local market, go up to the meat counter, and get xxxxxx type of steak and then have them grind it up into hamburger meat? If so, which meat works the best? I would love to try NY steak meat into burgers or Rib-eye burgers. Any type to stay away from? I wonder what tri-tip burgers would taste like.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Anyone ever walk into their local market, go up to the meat counter, and get xxxxxx type of steak and then have them grind it up into hamburger meat? If so, which meat works the best? I would love to try NY steak meat into burgers or Rib-eye burgers. Any type to stay away from? I wonder what tri-tip burgers would taste like.
Try ground sirloin, always worked good for me. NYs don't seem to have enough flavor needed for a great hamburger, the onions and condiments would overpower that cut's weak flavor.

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Try ground sirloin, always worked good for me. NYs don't seem to have enough flavor needed for a great hamburger, the onions and condiments would overpower that cut's weak flavor.
x2, Ground sirloin is pretty common depending on your meat market...

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
i like the ground sirloin too, but i buy the frozen burger patties for the freeloaders that seem to show up when i lite the grill:p

ground ny strip or tbone does sound pretty awesome tho, but i could never bring myself to do that to a good steak:D

·
Registered
562 Posts
I use chuck roast.. butcher told me that sirloin is a lean beef and not enough fat for the flavor. The couple of times i've used chuck it was good and no preservatives...

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Chuck is the best for burgers. Think of adding in about 20% italian sausage spicy/hot bulk to your mix. I add a few sauces plus a small amount of itallian bread crumbs to keep it all together.

·
3,246 Posts
I go to Bristol Farms and get their fresh ground beef. Then have them mix in some Jalapenos and Blue Cheese. Get about 1" pattys and grub down!

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I go to Bristol Farms and get their fresh ground beef. Then have them mix in some Jalapenos and Blue Cheese. Get about 1" pattys and grub down!
that's sounding goooood! never thought bout putting blue cheese in there.

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
i like the ground sirloin too, but i buy the frozen burger patties for the freeloaders that seem to show up when i lite the grill:p

ground ny strip or tbone does sound pretty awesome tho, but i could never bring myself to do that to a good steak:D
I don't know what sounds worse, grinding a good porterhouse/fillet/ribeye OR cooking one of them WELL DONE... Both make the hair on my neck stand up... :D

Give me a porterhouse soaked in worstacheshershire and minced garlic... :)devil

As for burgers we used to mix in liptons onion soup mix... I think that some good seasoned bread crumbs and some beaten egg is good too, just like you would a meat loaf...

·
3,246 Posts
that's sounding goooood! never thought bout putting blue cheese in there.
A whole different taste with the way the blue cheese and meat cook together! :)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Kid you not, the best ground beef comes from the "third world" markets...Asian or Mexican. They grind it old school using real scraps. Not sure what goes into the stuff...but I'm not asking either.:D

·
MLC - Mid Life Crisis
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
As the son of a butcher I was instructed early on. My Dad cut meet for many restaurants and upper end steak houses. As far as he was concerned, the key to ground beef is fresh with a decent fat content. Prepackaged dries out quickly. Ground chuck and sirloin are typically used as they are cheaper cuts and have sufficent fat. A correct fat content adds flavor and moisture.

If you like your burger rare and want to spend the money, by all means grind up a prime cut. Unless it's rare and retains natural juices it'll dry out quiclky.

Ground round is a cheap cut but has little fat and you'll easily see how dry it gets when cooked past med rare.

When it's marked "ground beef" it's typically trimming's and cheaper cuts. Get a Betty Crocker/Better Homes and Gardens cook book and they explain in detail cuts of meat and which do best for what you are looking for.

For the outdoor grill I often mix a lb of ground pork sausage per lb, bl and a half of ground beef. Really juicy and a great flavor. Mix it well.

·
Administrator
16,892 Posts
That sounds good. And good tips.

I would do that if I knew the origin of the meat.

No feedlot stuff. Hormones and raised on corn feed.

If it wasnt raised eating grasses I won't eat it.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Make Fresh Ground Beef says...

1/2 pound beef chuck
1/2 pound beef sirloin
x 2... Ground sirloin can be a bit dry so the chuck or round adds the fat and compliments the flavor.. I personally use ground round because it seems to have the best flavor but to each their own!!

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
A whole different taste with the way the blue cheese and meat cook together! :)
Those are pretty good!! I usually stuff them with sharp cheddar chz, mix my dry rub, pepper, fresh garlic and then roast some Jalepanos, blanch them and mix them with the meat.. Good chit!!!! Everyone request them when they come into town..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts