Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can you guys tell me about a hampton 8-71 alcohol blower. Any good?

·
3,246 Posts
i have a hampton 8-71 blower on my setup. Runs like a charm. The only difference is that i am running gas and not alky

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I called today and talked with Don personaly and they seem like good people. There is just so many different brands, cases, rotors, etc. I'm in the process of building a blown motor for my hydro. What size would you guys recomend going with, the 8 - 71 gas would suite my needs I'm sure but buying it new should I go big and never worry about wanting more. It going to be BBC either a 468 of a little over 5 cubes but nothing like a 580. These are question I know only first hand experience can ask but all input I'm putting into word and saving :D, thanks kyle so lets hear it, no reply is to long ;)

·
Gone
1,828 Posts
Always a tough answer. But consider some things.
Longer than an 8/71...you gotta run an offset mag. More expense.
If you build the motor effeciently in the first place...you don't have to boost it that much.
If you go quicker than 8 seconds in racing...you have to have a capsule.
Only you know what performance you are looking for.
You can always just add alcohol if you go injection for more power.
If you can't hit 8 seconds with an 8/71 on blown gas in a hydo.....you are doing something wrong or it is a boat problem.
Hope that helps.

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Always a tough answer. But consider some things.
Longer than an 8/71...you gotta run an offset mag. More expense.
If you build the motor effeciently in the first place...you don't have to boost it that much.
If you go quicker than 8 seconds in racing...you have to have a capsule.
Only you know what performance you are looking for.
You can always just add alcohol if you go injection for more power.
If you can't hit 8 seconds with an 8/71 on blown gas in a hydo.....you are doing something wrong or it is a boat problem.
Hope that helps.
:D The motor was sold to a seperate buyer. The boat did 154, with a lanco 48 gears, and a 7.90:D 468 chevy blown alc

Answering some of the questions to help me narrow it down I'm putting a birdcather on, no carbs on this one. I think I'm going to just do vp fuel, alcohol getting pricey that way I could still putt around at the lake

·
Gone
1,828 Posts
So you got a proven boat....should be an easy deal.
Here's maybe a little bit relative example of a hydro:
"Drastic" boat (formerly the Drastic Plastic fuel boat. Heavy sanger)
468 inches, TRW piston 8.1 / steel rod, cast iron 990 heads.
6/71 hampton gas blower.
2 speed owens but left in high gear only. No shifting.
Boat ran 9.0's most anywhere. Blower OD % 10-14% over.
If I let him shift the 2 speed...we could go 8.60's.
Very basic motor..lasted for many years.

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you got a proven boat....should be an easy deal.
Here's maybe a little bit relative example of a hydro:
"Drastic" boat (formerly the Drastic Plastic fuel boat. Heavy sanger)
468 inches, TRW piston 8.1 / steel rod, cast iron 990 heads.
6/71 hampton gas blower.
2 speed owens but left in high gear only. No shifting.
Boat ran 9.0's most anywhere. Blower OD % 10-14% over.
If I let him shift the 2 speed...we could go 8.60's.
Very basic motor..lasted for many years.
Ok well with that being said I'm honestly thinking 518, hampton 8-71, gas, birdcatcher, hopefully the boat will still run respectfully :D.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
i've got a birdcatcher set-up that i need to trade for a dominator set-up;)

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i've got a birdcatcher set-up that i need to trade for a dominator set-up;)
Whats the reason for wanting to trade the bird catcher as appose to carbs?

·
3,246 Posts
Ok well with that being said I'm honestly thinking 518, hampton 8-71, gas, birdcatcher, hopefully the boat will still run respectfully :D.

pretty mch the setup i have. except i hve to 850 holly's on top instead of the birdcatcher and have a richard lee innercooler. Your boat should run great

·
Big Boys Toys
348 Posts
I had a 505 BBC w/ Dart alum heads and a Hampton 8-71 on this boat. Alcohol injected. It ran consistent 8.0's and ran as fast as 7.56. Similar to your anticipated setup. Then I built this motor 604 ci, 14-71 and I'm not even sure what to do with it now. Too much of something. dhttp://www.performanceboats.com//attachment.php?attachmentid=8568&stc=1&d=1210903125o

Attachments

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a 505 BBC w/ Dart alum heads and a Hampton 8-71 on this boat. Alcohol injected. It ran consistent 8.0's and ran as fast as 7.56. Similar to your anticipated setup. Then I built this motor 604 ci, 14-71 and I'm not even sure what to do with it now. Too much of something. dhttp://www.performanceboats.com//attachment.php?attachmentid=8568&stc=1&d=1210903125o
Beautiful setup murray. Well good I'm glad the numbers I was sayin checked out. This'll be my first blower motor and hydro so I appricate your guys input. What sort of cam are you guys running, hydrolic, flat tappet, roller? And what is the deal about a lunati blower crank? forged? good bad? sorry I'm pretty clueless in the blower field but I want to learn :)bulb

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pretty mch the setup i have. except i hve to 850 holly's on top instead of the birdcatcher and have a richard lee innercooler. Your boat should run great
River games how does the gas setup work for you with the carbs. I'd assumed your pleased with it. By the way bitchin flat :)devil. Looks hot :)hand

·
3,246 Posts
River games how does the gas setup work for you with the carbs. I'd assumed your pleased with it. By the way bitchin flat :)devil. Looks hot :)hand
Thanks for the good words. It works fine for me. I will probably throw an injector on it in a year or two. But for now, I can run cruise around 100 for many more weekends to come (i hope that didnt just jinx me:))eek:)):D)

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the good words. It works fine for me. I will probably throw an injector on it in a year or two. But for now, I can run cruise around 100 for many more weekends to come (i hope that didnt just jinx me:))eek:)):D)
Did you build the motor personally yourself RG?

·
3,246 Posts
Nope, My buddy Tony Costantino built the motor. His company is M&D performance. He builds one hell of a motor. :))THumbsUp

I am going to give it a shot and build a motor on my next project.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts