Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New KOYO Bearing, new shaft slinger. Shaft is straight. Clean used piece. $300 plus shipping. I will post pics soon. PM me if interested

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I do...I will check.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lots of tire kickers, no one has pulled the trigger. Maybe I need some pics...Its nice!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If someone wants it cut that can be arranged for minimal charge. Dad is a machinist.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Hard chrome?

How hard is this shaft? (Rockwell #).....All the jet shafts are hard chromed on the working ends. What additionally was done to this one? And why?.........Ray (experienced hard chromer)

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How hard is this shaft? (Rockwell #).....All the jet shafts are hard chromed on the working ends. What additionally was done to this one? And why?.........Ray (experienced hard chromer)
The shafts are hardened to make them stronger to the best of my knowledge. No spec avail on the rockwell #. Shaft is made by American Turbine, but comparable shafts are also made(AQ, Agressor, etc.)

This shaft ran for a full season in my boat behind 800 hp. I thought I had a stock shaft and bought an Aquamet shaft to deal with the abuse. Come to find out that this one is magnetic...

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Thanks

The shafts are hardened to make them stronger to the best of my knowledge. No spec avail on the rockwell #. Shaft is made by American Turbine, but comparable shafts are also made(AQ, Agressor, etc.)

This shaft ran for a full season in my boat behind 800 hp. I thought I had a stock shaft and bought an Aquamet shaft to deal with the abuse. Come to find out that this one is magnetic...
Thanks. I was just curious about the "hardening". The magnetic issue would mean it is steel, correct?....Although some stainless is magnetic I don't think stainless is the right material for a jet shaft. Hard chrome is also magnetic, and is used in high wear areas to prolong shaft life. I'm still curious about the Rockwell spec if anyone else might have any information as to how hard is good, and how hard is edging up to brittle?.........I imagine a race shaft is hardened to prevent "twist up" under extreme loads, mega horsepower applications......But again, how hard is too hard?.........Ray

PS I should also mention I don't have the HP in my jet to dictate using an "extreme" shaft. But, I still see horror stories of jet failures and really don't want to sink my boat over something that could have been prevented by using other's experiences...........

·
688 Posts
So that is why my vents did not get done:D
Not at all, Those vents were going to take valuable machine time that couldn't be made up. Machine time is $150.00 per hour.
Brians pulley took less than an hour the vents were like 3 hours if I remember. I am pretty good at motor and transom plates though. after the season is over pull that red biatch out here and we'll make a weekend of it.
just prep it before you come. :)coffee:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts