Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm taking to the Open Water forum here to see if anybody has seen this boat. It's a 1979 26' Caribbean daycruiser. The reg# is AZ 8635T. Here's the cliff note story... my folks bought this boat new at the LA Boat show back in 1979. I grew up on this boat and have the best memories on it. They sold it in 1993 when I was 22 years old and in college, and it was in excellent condition. Now I'm 42 years old with a wife and two small boys and I'm trying to see if I can track it down. The people we sold it to took it up to Big Bear and that's all I know. Yes, I fully realize this was a LONG time ago. The same people could have it, or maybe it's changed hands 10 more times, I have no idea. But what I do know is that the group on this Forum are very plugged in to what's circulating out there. I've been watching Craigslist and Boat Trader for literally 3 years what to see if I'd find the boat and no dice.

My wife calls this boat my unicorn, I guess she's right. Utopia would be to find this specific boat, but I'm still open to any 1979 or 1980 26' Caribbean like this. I prefer the 350 motor and merc drive, but I wouldn't pass up a Volvo either. I'm happy to do some restoration, but I want one that's as close to original as possible. You can't believe some of the stuff I've seen people doing to these classics. It's shameful. But that's another story. Feel free to PM me or respond here. Thanks guys!

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Beggars can't be choosers, but I suggest you look deeper for a big-block boat. Daycruisers from that day are TANKS and a small-block is just barely gonna cut it. Hopefully you could find Merc drivetrain as well, as there's not much support out there for Vulva stuff.

If you found a stock big-block (hopefully Chevy, but again - can't really choose too much) powered boat and it worked just fine in the beginning - - as the kids get bigger and you need more speed and planning torque, you can always enhance the motor. But if you start with a small-block boat, you would have to change all of your hardware (exh and such) to BB. So, it would save you some time and money in the future. Plus, you'd be happier right from the very beginning.

DON'T BUY A JET. You'll find LOTS of those. Unless you are already in the workings of converting it to outdrive - - stay away. A heavy boat like that with no positive displacement (prop) will not get out of it's own way. I had a 23' Omega with Panther 454 / jet. Trust me, too heavy of boats for just pushing water around for propulsion.

I looked in that arena for a long time. Since I was looking at used, I saw lots of same-era same-size Sleeks, Nordics, Caribbeans, Omegas, SKVs and the like. LOTS were SBC, and the others were jets. Most of the Nordics were 454 / outdrive, though.

I definitely hope you find exactly what you're looking for - especially the orig boat!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I picked this one up a couple of years ago at a storage auction. Sold it to a friend, he blew the engine and sold it off. It might still be sitting in the Blue Waters parking lot.

Vehicle Water transportation Speedboat Boat trailer Bass boat

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Beer30 - I hear you on the BB vs SB. Ours had the 350 and it served us beautifully for 14 years. In fact, our family of 5 all got up on skis and that was our Christmas picture on year. I'd love to have the BB, but that vintage of boat with the 454 (and there were some) had the transmission between the motor and outdrive. I don't know anything about that kind of setup except to say that I've read on the Boards that parts are nearly impossible to find.

@Wheeler - that looks like a 23'. Cool looking boat. Sorry to be clueless, but I don't know what Blue Waters is.

·
Registered
20,051 Posts
looks like u might b able to get the hull numbers in the pics...just run it see where it is if its still in the state

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ Yep, that's the hull number. I called it the reg# in my original post. Does somebody here have the DMV connection to run it? That would be cool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,
I'm taking to the Open Water forum here to see if anybody has seen this boat. It's a 1979 26' Caribbean daycruiser. The reg# is AZ 8635T. Here's the cliff note story... my folks bought this boat new at the LA Boat show back in 1979. I grew up on this boat and have the best memories on it. They sold it in 1993 when I was 22 years old and in college, and it was in excellent condition. Now I'm 42 years old with a wife and two small boys and I'm trying to see if I can track it down. The people we sold it to took it up to Big Bear and that's all I know. Yes, I fully realize this was a LONG time ago. The same people could have it, or maybe it's changed hands 10 more times, I have no idea. But what I do know is that the group on this Forum are very plugged in to what's circulating out there. I've been watching Craigslist and Boat Trader for literally 3 years what to see if I'd find the boat and no dice.

My wife calls this boat my unicorn, I guess she's right. Utopia would be to find this specific boat, but I'm still open to any 1979 or 1980 26' Caribbean like this. I prefer the 350 motor and merc drive, but I wouldn't pass up a Volvo either. I'm happy to do some restoration, but I want one that's as close to original as possible. You can't believe some of the stuff I've seen people doing to these classics. It's shameful. But that's another story. Feel free to PM me or respond here. Thanks guys!

I know this boat and will double check hull numbers, but my dad has this exact boat. Same color and overall set up. Trailer even looks the same. His has a 383 and updated mercruiser outdrive. It also is currently for sale. I will see if I can dig up pictures.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know this boat and will double check hull numbers, but my dad has this exact boat. Same color and overall set up. Trailer even looks the same. His has a 383 and updated mercruiser outdrive. It also is currently for sale. I will see if I can dig up pictures.
if your dad is in Pinetop AZ I know the boat and have seen it on craigslist. It is very close to this. I'd love to go see it, but he is really far away from OC. Even if I flew into Phoenix, it looks to be nearly a 3 hour drive from there.

Or are you referring to another boat?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, he lives in Pine Top. Boat will be coming down to Phoenix area end of summer. Have you talked to him about the Hull numbers? Let me know if want more info on it. As for arranging to see it, that can always be worked out.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have one,

Hello all,

I got one like this from my brother, it's a different color but it's a nice riding boat, we have an Ultra Formula BBC jet but the wife can't take much of that anymore, love to know more about this boat

·
Registered
1 Posts
1979 caribbean

I have a 1979 Caribbean exactly like this. My Uncle had it up in Madesto. He passed in 2010 and i hauled it back to Ohio.

Hello all,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

Little late to the party but I've got a 1980 26' Caribbean daycruiser that looks just like the one picture in AZ. With a rebuilt 454 big block chevy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

Sky Watercraft Boat Naval architecture Vehicle

I thought it might be the same, but no, it's different. 1979 Caribbean 26' Day Cruiser, had a Mercruiser 454c.i. and a TRS trans/Mercruiser Outdrive. Apparently the boat had been sunk. Currently the process of restoring it... I think... I have a newly built 427 Tall Deck that I had bored to 502. It sits in process... Transom was rotted along with the stringers. Needs to be totally redone from stem to stern.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts