Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 50 lb flywheel, a 35 lb flywheel, and a aluminum fly. The motor is a healthy 427 bbc 11.5 comp., going in this 21 fairly light cruiser. Just curious if there would be any noticable differences. I thought the 50 might give me a little more torque but I really don't know. Any experience out there.........I got a feeling someone has tried it......Thanks ahead of time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I have a 50 lb flywheel, a 35 lb flywheel, and a aluminum fly. The motor is a healthy 427 bbc 11.5 comp., going in this 21 fairly light cruiser. Just curious if there would be any noticable differences. I thought the 50 might give me a little more torque but I really don't know. Any experience out there.........I got a feeling someone has tried it......Thanks ahead of time.
All depends on what you're going to do with the boat...

I like light flywheels (aluminum) because of the rate of decel (play on rivers and good throttle response is required).

A heavy flywheel can help prevent overreving the engine when you vent the pump, but otherwise don't know of any more positives one way or another....

GT :)hand

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Go with the light flywheel. The pump shaft and impeller are already acting as a flywheel. Why add more weight to the boat?

·
NW Spectraholic
588 Posts
I've tried both ways with my mild Oldsmobiles. Maybe a tad bit quicker accel, hard to tell. I thought I'd really feel a big difference, but no.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, That's easier, I have a good quality flex plate on it, and the whole motor is perfectly balanced so maybe I'll just leave it on there.....I wasn't sure if I could run a flex plate only. I wondered if a heavy flywheel would give it more rotating mass and give me higher rpm's and slightly higher mph. The motor is coming out of the v drive. I am going to change to a different cam, with lower rpm range.

Thanks for the feedback. :)devil

I still don't know what impeller is on the thing.... might be a or aa. Is there a easy way to tell what size of impeller?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I ran a flex plate back in the 60ts accelerates faster and when off the peddle stops quicker. It came in handy when running against a first timer in the turns and anywhere else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts