Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
( This town... is becoming like a ghost town - The Specials )

Schools lose 271 students in the last year
Estimated funding loss is at least $1.15 million

By Diana Parker
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:16 PM MST

Today is the 100th day of the school year calendar.

An otherwise ordinary day, it bears great significance for the Lake Havasu Unified schools, because the funding the schools receive from the state next year will be based largely on the number of students who come to school today.

In many elementary school classes today the number 100 will be incorporated into the curriculum. At Starline Elementary School, kindergarten students will create 100-day goggles and headbands. At Smoketree Elementary, students will string necklaces from 100 Fruit Loops, play 100-word bingo and come up with 100 reasons to say off drugs.

Continuing the theme, Smoketree Principal Connie Hogard said she is shooting for 100 percent attendance today.

Always important, this year's 100th day may be more critical than ever for the district schools. Dwindling enrollment since the beginning of the school year is already threatening reduced revenues for next year.

On the 40th day of the school calendar �” a reporting date for the district's "average daily membership" �” the LHU schools were down 147 students from last year's 100-day count, according to a report provided by the district. By Nov. 16, the district had lost a total of 179 students.

According to Jan. 18 enrollment figures posted on the district's Web site, the district has lost 92 more students since mid-November.

That translates into total, estimated revenue loses of at least $1.15 million in maintenance and operations funding alone.

"We know that we're going to have less budget capacity next year," Superintendent Gail Malay said. "When teachers leave, there will be some positions that will not be filled. Right now I can't tell you how many that will be."

Malay said the downward trend in enrollment appears to be flattening out.

"The schools are saying they have three kids move out and three move in," she said.

SEE TODAY'S NEWS-HERALD FOR THE FULL STORY

·
6,873 Posts
Havasu PD will make up for the lost revenue with even bigger piece of shit tickets handed out this year

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Crackdown.......

Any chance this has to do with the illegal workers crackdown?........I know BHC seemed to get a little lighter traffic in the rush 20 minutes or so, morning and evening......Az started a serious assult on businesses that hire illegals, no work in town, no kids in your schools.........Hmmmmmmmm....MP

·
Nuclear Powered
1,281 Posts
Any chance this has to do with the illegal workers crackdown?........I know BHC seemed to get a little lighter traffic in the rush 20 minutes or so, morning and evening......Az started a serious assult on businesses that hire illegals, no work in town, no kids in your schools.........Hmmmmmmmm....MP

Interesting concept......I bet across all schools in Arizona we are seeing the same kinda #'s. No work, no kids in your schools:)bulb

·
6,873 Posts
NOPE, everyone is moving back to cali....

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Calixico

NOPE, everyone is moving back to cali....
You mean all the illegals are moving back where they can still find work.............Has Cal EVER prosecuted, or punished in anyway, an employer that hires illegals??...........I know Az aint messing around, big fine, second offense, loss of business license.......Or something like that. Maybe they're all headed for Simi Valley and that church that harbors illegals.........Kilr, isn't the majority of Havasu residents retired? Or at least old enough not to have kids in schools?.........There isn't a bunch of industry there anymore.......MP

G

·
I have to imagine that the Havasu economy isn't very strong. Much of it's strength has come from new construction, which has to be way off. Heard the foreclosure rate in Havi is very high as well.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
You mean all the illegals are moving back where they can still find work.............Has Cal EVER prosecuted, or punished in anyway, an employer that hires illegals??...........I know Az aint messing around, big fine, second offense, loss of business license.......Or something like that. Maybe they're all headed for Simi Valley and that church that harbors illegals.........Kilr, isn't the majority of Havasu residents retired? Or at least old enough not to have kids in schools?.........There isn't a bunch of industry there anymore.......MP
Bingo! I think less people at the age with children in school may be able to afford to live here these days than previous.The cost to live in Havasu has gone up with everything else.Along with more older folks.

·
6,873 Posts

NOPE, there are tons of kids and young people in Havi
In L.A. my kids went to public school, 400 kids
in havi in their school 400 kids and all young parents....
the parks are packed on the wekends with T-ball and baseball...

NO WORK IN HAVI, IT ALL DRIED UP....
So back to cali

·
HELL OF A GUY
3,137 Posts
this what iwas a thinkn:D

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Yea...its a simple process, no workie, no liveie...look at the foreclosure thread on one of the boards, some killer deals.:|err:|err

1 - 17 of 17 Posts