Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
LHC Architect
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you can make it, be at the council meeting tonight and tell Charlie Cassins (City Guy on the boards) to STUFF IT!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Council to vote on sewer rate hike

By TONY WAGGONER
Friday, November 21, 2008 10:50 PM MST

Sewer rates would climb at least 32 percent over three years if the Lake Havasu City Council votes for an increase Tuesday.

The increase would begin April 1, 2009. Rates would go up again the following two years.

The item is on the agenda for public input, as sewer rates remain a very hot issue for many in the community.

“The numbers are what they are,” Charlie Cassens, city spokesman, said. “We have bond obligations that have to be paid, and we have to pay them.”

On Sept. 9, the council received an update from Red Oak Consulting on the Financial Feasibility Report of the Wastewater System. The report detailed a need to raise sewer rates to generate more revenue for the city’s wastewater bonds, which currently is just over $313 million with some duplication and refinance amounts.

If passed, residents could see a 10 percent increase effective April 1, 2009. Rates would increase 11 percent over the following two years, bringing the minimum monthly sewer bill to $45.50 a month in 2011 for residential homes. Next year, the average monthly bill for residential is expected to be near $36.50 a month.

City Finance Director Gayle Whittle was quick to point out residents have not seen an increase in over two years. It may also be worth noting in 2005 sewer rates were anticipated to be $57.05 per month for the fiscal year 2007-08, according to a previous Red Oak Consulting study on residential homes.

In the past, the city had rates adjusted every year by July 1, with a rate change occurring every April. They have now combined rate adjustments with rate changes, conducting both every April.

Residents may have control of how high their rates go. Whittle said conservation during the wintertime is a good place to start. The city calculates residents’ set rates by averaging the three lowest bill amounts from December through March. In the winter months, people tend to use less water, Whittle said, especially for outdoor watering. She suggested residents inspect their homes for leaks and adjust irrigation schedules to help keep their winter rates down and get a lower set rate.

“People’s rates more clearly reflects what they use indoors,” Whittle said.

The city established publicity campaign during the winter quarter to assist customers in managing their sewer bills.

The council is required to hold a public hearing before raising any rates.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
What are they thinking? Do they want everybody to leave town? Its gets to a point where it just isnt affordable anymore. High electric,high water costs,high sewer costs,high property taxes,high grocery prices, and gas is even higher then in Cali.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
What are they thinking? Do they want everybody to leave town? Its gets to a point where it just isnt affordable anymore. High electric,high water costs,high sewer costs,high property taxes,high grocery prices, and gas is even higher then in Cali.

Compared from where I came the only thing that is higher here in Havi is the electric and not by much. For instance we had to pay $7500 for sewer line down the road, then another $5500 for the tap fee, then another $2500 for someone to hook it up. Sorry but this sewer here is a hell of deal. And the water here is Very Cheap, right now I pay about $26 a month which includes trash pickup of course that is just my wife and I. I guess I'm lucky so far since they won't be hooking us up for 4 years. Don't get me wrong I don't want to see increases because the sewer increase will affect me also in a few years and I'm not looking forward to it. The Council will vote to go ahead with the increases no matter what puplic says at the meeting. I would be very surprised if they didn't.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I agree with what you are saying and compared to Cali things are cheaper but the pay in Havasu does not pay nearly as well as other areas. The problem I have is when will the hikes stop? Once they get them going they seem to never stop. A few bucks here and there,the next thing you know is your all out of money because it went to the extras they tacked on.
Compared from where I came the only thing that is higher here in Havi is the electric and not by much. For instance we had to pay $7500 for sewer line down the road, then another $5500 for the tap fee, then another $2500 for someone to hook it up. Sorry but this sewer here is a hell of deal. And the water here is Very Cheap, right now I pay about $26 a month which includes trash pickup of course that is just my wife and I. I guess I'm lucky so far since they won't be hooking us up for 4 years. Don't get me wrong I don't want to see increases because the sewer increase will affect me also in a few years and I'm not looking forward to it. The Council will vote to go ahead with the increases no matter what puplic says at the meeting. I would be very surprised if they didn't.

·
Registered
646 Posts
so in simple terms it going to cost more to take a crap in havi:D... sounds like we better stop eating at taco bell and crack in the box:)devil

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I agree with what you are saying and compared to Cali things are cheaper but the pay in Havasu does not pay nearly as well as other areas. The problem I have is when will the hikes stop? Once they get them going they seem to never stop. A few bucks here and there,the next thing you know is your all out of money because it went to the extras they tacked on.

I totally agree with you. Their answer to everything is to increase taxes and or fees. I don't like either.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I don't live in Havasu, but I'm a little confused. Havasu is in the middle of major sewer upgrades? Basically taking everybody off of septic and hooking them in to a municipality sewer system. The fee increase is to cover the cost of the upgrades? If the fees aren't raised on the sewer bills, how is Havasu going to pay for the upgrades that were needed? I don't like fee increases as much as anybody else, but this one seems pretty necessary and inline. Am I reading this wrong?

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
I don't live in Havasu, but I'm a little confused. Havasu is in the middle of major sewer upgrades? Basically taking everybody off of septic and hooking them in to a municipality sewer system. The fee increase is to cover the cost of the upgrades? If the fees aren't raised on the sewer bills, how is Havasu going to pay for the upgrades that were needed? I don't like fee increases as much as anybody else, but this one seems pretty necessary and inline. Am I reading this wrong?
I payed 2K for the hook up. The city pays for the rest is my understanding.

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
There is already a fee in place for the switch from septic to sewer and a monthly fee the sewer service. The council is considering increasing the monthly fee for sewer service.

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Idea?

How about cutting waste full spending in so many areas do not have time or space to list.When in the past years when money was rolling all was well and who cares of the cost or consequences and now people are very upset on the developments.I was listening to a local radio talk show today and the calls coming in were brutal and people are mad and feel deceived.I can assure you could cut so much waste from the LHC budget would cover many needed services and requirements.

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
sounds once again of mismanagement by the city and the residents are getting stuck with the bill, once upon a time they had a lady that ran a very tight ship in havi, they actually had money, they ousted her because she didn't play the game as I recall, since then havi has always been in the hole.
maybe they should forget about the pipe dream of another bridge !!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts