Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to follow this court case and I am unsure what the following Register of Actions means:

HELD & GRANTED/ORDER TO FOLLOW. CT REPORTER: xxxxx xxxxx The following event: MOTION FOR SUMMARY DISPOSITION ON BEHALF OF ROY xxxxxxxxxxx scheduled for 07/20/2009 at 2:30 pm has been resulted as follows: Result: HELD & GRANTED/ORDER TO FOLLOW Judge: xxxxxxxxx, Location: 17TH CIRCUIT COURT- xxxxxxxxx**PLAINTIFF MAY AMEND COMPLAINT WITHIN 14 DAYS FROM ENTRY OF ORDER**

The session was held on monday 7/20/09 and I do not see any more hearing scheduled for the next thirty days. This case has been going on since 2008 and has been in and out of court the last two weeks or so. I am hoping that it is finally done...

· The HMFIC
1,711 Posts
Trying to follow this court case and I am unsure what the following Register of Actions means:

HELD & GRANTED/ORDER TO FOLLOW. CT REPORTER: xxxxx xxxxx The following event: MOTION FOR SUMMARY DISPOSITION ON BEHALF OF ROY xxxxxxxxxxx scheduled for 07/20/2009 at 2:30 pm has been resulted as follows: Result: HELD & GRANTED/ORDER TO FOLLOW Judge: xxxxxxxxx, Location: 17TH CIRCUIT COURT- xxxxxxxxx**PLAINTIFF MAY AMEND COMPLAINT WITHIN 14 DAYS FROM ENTRY OF ORDER**

The session was held on monday 7/20/09 and I do not see any more hearing scheduled for the next thirty days. This case has been going on since 2008 and has been in and out of court the last two weeks or so. I am hoping that it is finally done...

what friggen language is that:)sphss

· "Try it Now!"
3,614 Posts

From what i interpret..

someone's motion was held..whatever the motion was (ie child custody, etc)...there will be a disposition on 7 20 (ie final decision) and if plaintiff isn't happy with order, they have 14 days from the entry to appeal?

I know some civil attorney's here will pipe up in a minute..but sounds that's what i gather from it.

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a personal injury case. There was a hearing on Monday 7/20 and this Register of Actions was updated on the site today 7/23. The deposition was read on Monday so I think I am just confused about the Held and Granted/Order to follow, part.

· Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,812 Posts
Let's break it down:

First thing was that someone filed a request for "summary disposition". What "summary disposition" means is the requester was asking for the judge to rule on the case based on the filings already presented, rather than continuing to trial.

HELD & GRANTED/ORDER TO FOLLOW. The hearing was held and the request was granted. Court order will be forthcoming.

CT REPORTER: xxxxx xxxxx Court reporter-name redacted

The following event: MOTION FOR SUMMARY DISPOSITION ON BEHALF OF ROY xxxxxxxxxxx scheduled for 07/20/2009 at 2:30 pm has been resulted as follows: Roy (name redacted) filed the motion for summary disposition which was heard on July 20,2009 at 2:30PM.

Result: HELD & GRANTED/ORDER TO FOLLOW Judge: xxxxxxxxx, Location: 17TH CIRCUIT COURT- xxxxxxxxx The motion was heard and granted by Judge (name redadcted) in the 17th district court.

**PLAINTIFF MAY AMEND COMPLAINT WITHIN 14 DAYS FROM ENTRY OF ORDER** The person who originally filed the law suit (plaintiff) may refile the complaint within 14 days.

From all this it seems that someone filed a lawsuit against Roy. Roy filed a response with the court and one of two things happened.

1. The suit was frivolous and had no merit, so the Judge granted Roy's request to have the suit dismissed with judgment in favor of Roy.

2. The guy that filed the suit failed to show up for court, and Roy requested the case be dismissed. This is the most likely scenario, since the Judge said he could refile the case within 2 weeks.

(edit) There is a 3rd possibility, in that the original complaint was deficient or improperly filled out or submitted. Basically a "technicality". The Judge would also allow the complaint to be amended in this situation.

G

·

It's over unless the Plaintiff files an amended complaint

· Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,812 Posts
Thank you BC for the breakdown. I hope this is done as I don't want to get dragged into this as the court case is in Michigan.

Thanks for all the replies, this will make my weekend mucho better....

Kelly
If you were issued a subpoena for the deposition, call the contact number of whoever issued the subpoena and find out your status. If they say don't worry about it, make sure you get the name and title of whoever you talk to.

And then wait for the next one. If it's worth dragging out for a year or so, it'll probably be worth re-filing.

· Registered
2,085 Posts
I review civil litigation on a daily basis for my many attorney clients.

Put up more of the docket text or wait for the order to issue, I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that limited entry. However, with more of a procedural case history, it would be easier.

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you were issued a subpoena for the deposition, call the contact number of whoever issued the subpoena and find out your status. If they say don't worry about it, make sure you get the name and title of whoever you talk to.

And then wait for the next one. If it's worth dragging out for a year or so, it'll probably be worth re-filing.
No subpoena, I was just asked in a phone conversation if I was willing to give a deposition and did not here anything else. Thanks again for the break down..

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I review civil litigation on a daily basis for my many attorney clients.

Put up more of the docket text or wait for the order to issue, I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that limited entry. However, with more of a procedural case history, it would be easier.
I will post up the rest when I get back to my work but that was all they had listed for Mondays hearing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.