Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1186 Posts

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just looking for any information or stories I can get about Hawaiian jet boats. No particular reason, just curious and want to know everything I can find out about my boat or similar boats. Thanks.

This is also a thread for my Hawaiian jet boat project. I will be updating it as I get stuff finished.

Here's mine when I first got it. It's a 19' 78 Hawaiian w/ full stringers and a tiny Chevy 427T that's been punched out 0.060" making it a 438T or 440T.

Here it is as it sits right now. Still got a lot of work to do to restore the old girl.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a couple other pictures.:D

·
....like warm apple pie
1,681 Posts
I wouldn't keep your buss bar mounted down there if you are running OT headers. Its lined up directly under the header weep holes.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It might be! I was told that the previous owner got pissed off at another boater (crazy ass coke head) so they stole his trailer.:))eek:)) Don't know if it's true or not, but it probably is since the boat doesn't fit onto the trailer right. That's getting fixed first time off the trailer. I think I just have to raise the boards up to make it clear the fenders.:)bulb

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't keep your buss bar mounted down there if you are running OT headers. Its lined up directly under the header weep holes.

I was thinking that myself. But where would be another place to put it to keep the wiring layout real clean looking? Could I put some kind of deflector over it? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Better get rid of that lawn mower gas filter showing in your pictures. It will lean you out and cause troubles later on.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah, that's probably the best place for it. I'll move it there while it's going together. Be easier that way. Thanks.:D

Better get rid of that lawn mower gas filter showing in your pictures. It will lean you out and cause troubles later on.

Thanks, I did not know that. It has had no gas run through it. We ran the motor before out of a paint mixing bucket with the fuel line stuck in it.:D What kind of filter should I run? I've seen all these fuel/water separators everywhere. Should I run one of those? Thanks again.

·
....like warm apple pie
1,681 Posts
Build a bracket and mount it off the 2 upper flex plate cover bolts. Its up and out of the way and easy access.....or you could do away with it altogether. Thats the cleanest look....none at all.

When I build my Southwind, it was up above the flex plate cover and between the lower ski tow mounts (which used those upper 2 cover bolts).

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I was talking to old rigger the other day and he said they only made a few full stringer Hawaiians. So this seems to have been a good find.:D Too bad it was in such bad shape and I am having to do a lot of work to try to get it back to it's original luster. But, that's half the fun in owning a classic boat, so it's all good. The boat should hold up to all the power I can throw at it later on, when I have the money to put a big motor in it.

I'd get rid of that RED oil pan too! ;)

Nah man, don't bash the red oil pan! I like it that color! It looks good with the blue block and the red plug wires and the whitish looking valve covers. Got the whole RED, WHITE, and BLUE thing going on.:D

·
....like warm apple pie
1,681 Posts
If that thing has been sitting on a trailer that wasn't meant for it, odds are you probably have some bottom issues. Make sure to check for hook while you are in 'overhaul' mode.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If that thing has been sitting on a trailer that wasn't meant for it, odds are you probably have some bottom issues. Make sure to check for hook while you are in 'overhaul' mode.

What is "hook"? The bottom looked to be in acceptable shape, when I was crawling around under it. It is just too wide for the trailer. Rubs on the sides. No holes there either, I've checked, was concerned about that when I first got it. Just some scrapes in the gel. Thanks.

·
....like warm apple pie
1,681 Posts
Here's the definition of 'hook' I found online:

"This is one of two conditions in the bottom of a planing boat that can lead to performance problems. When the boat is rightside-up, the bottom curves up from the transom; is "dished" forward of the transom. This "hook" will drive the bow down, reducing performance. Can also lead to the bow "bobbing" up and down."

The other is 'rocker':

"This is one of two conditions in the bottom of a planing boat that can lead to performance problems. When the boat is rightside-up, the bottom curves up toward the transom. This will lead to "porpoising". A similar effect will result from "rounding" the trailing bottom edge at the transom. In the extreme and/or at high speed, this can be dangerous. The cause is usually caused by allowing the transom to drop during construction. The aft section of the hull, seen in profile, should be straight."

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I don't know if any of that has happened. But I guess I'll find out when I take it out on the water. I sure hope not because that sounds like some pretty serious shit. Wouldn't be able to fix that, would cost more than the boat is worth, probably. And I really like the boat. It has a good stance. Can't wait to see it in the water. I've seen old pictures of it in the water, back when it was all together and running, and it looks Bad Ass.:)devil Thanks for the information, I will keep this in mind when I take it out on the first test drive.

·
Registered
851 Posts
You don't need to build any bracket, unless you want to mount it some place other than stock. It already has the bracket on it to mount it back on the bellhousing using the two top bolts, which on your looks like two allen head ss bolts.
When the boat was new, there was a little clear plexiglass cover that went over the connections held in place by two screws at each end that threaded into the rivit heads holding the terminal block to the bracket. Easy to make another if you wanted.

You can get down and site the lifting strakes by eye from the rear of the boat and you'll be able to see if there's any hook in the bottom of that ol girl. A nice long straight edge would be better, but you'll be able to see it if it's there by just looking. There won't be any rocker, but chances are good there's some hook. Anything around 1/8 inch I wouldn't mess with, more that that you might think about it.

1 - 20 of 1186 Posts