Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
We would need more information to definitively answer your question regarding head & neck restraint requirements
  • Racing Organization (LODBRS, NJBA, CDBA, SDBA, APBA, etc...)
  • Boat Type (Open or Capsule)
  • Level/Class Competing (River Racer, Blown Alcohol, SS, PS, KRR, etc...)

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
" If so, which is the best and least restrictive?"

You may find the best is not the least restrictive. Also, comparing asphalt safety gear to water safety gear is like apples and oranges.. Using circle track NASCAR type "head and neck restraints" as an example, the "Hanns" (sp?) device incorporates the existing straps over the shoulders. Boats do not have those straps, or a cage to use as an anchor point. So APBA, (and other sanctioning bodies), have added a required "under the arm pit" around the chest, anchor point with clip in straps to the helmet... When worn as designed, a driver can't turn his/her head far enough to the side to actually see the lanes beside them... Soooo, most drivers I've talked to leave the straps loose enough to pretty much make the device useless in a serious crash/ejection.... The MAIN purpose of the device is to take the stress off the drivers neck when centrifugal force tries to stretch it beyond it's limits of travel.... Loose straps allow a little too much travel and have resulted in fatalities due to broken necks...(Sorry, I had to say it)....

Ray

·
Registered
421 Posts
Open boats require a neck restraint just like they have before.
Capsule requires head/neck restraint like a Leatt, Lifeline, impact etc.
I use the chest strap from Lifeline that has 6 points of contact to my full face helmet.
I have both a Leatt and an Atlas brace and neither fit well at all with my newer lifeline jacket with the rigid skid collar.
I'll be bringing all my stuff to Long Beach if anybody needs to try it on, I have extras of just about everything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts