Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Large Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Burnt a valve this past weekend on the Olds. Might as well have some head work done while they are off. Looking for recommendations here since this is where I get 95% of my info from & 100% of it has been great.

TIA :)devil

· I don't feel tardy
837 Posts
Burnt a valve this past weekend on the Olds. Might as well have some head work done while they are off. Looking for recommendations here since this is where I get 95% of my info from & 100% of it has been great.

Well there is Scott (SteelComp) on the forums or
This guy has done work for me in the past
Call both of them.:)bulb

Jim Grubbs Motorsports (J G M*)
28130 Avenue Crocker # 331
Valencia, CA 91355-4629
661-257-0101

· Premium Member
26,163 Posts
Horsepower TV had a show on recently about Joe Mondello and his work on Oldsmobile engines...might want to check him out ..he's legendary in the Olds
community ....
I was at EPD back in '76/'77 when they were off of Tampa in Canoga Park. Someone mentioned Joe Mondello and Olds in the same sentence. This guy quietly says, "Joe Mondello could'nt make an Olds fall out of a tree." I am not going to mention any names, but his initials we W.J.hil:)

· Premium Member
26,163 Posts

When say some work done, do you mean some port work, or a valve job. If you need more than a valve job, talk to Steelcomp. If you are just looking for a good valve job, near you. Evans Speed Equipment 626 444 2838 in El Monte or Clay Smith 714 523 0523 Buena Park. Cost wise, you may be able to get some bowl work done by Steel for just little more the others will charge for just for the valve job. Nobody does this stuff correctly on the cheap.

· steelcomp was here
11,830 Posts

No sense in going crazy with the heads if the rest of your build doesn't warrant it. I'd be glad to help if I can, but if all you want to do is a freshen up, it'll probably be less expensive to have it done locally, but be sure to find a reputable shop. It doesn't take much to mess up a set of otherwise decent heads.
If I can help, give me a call...805 350 1159.
Thanks for the kudos guys.:)devil:)hand

· Registered
587 Posts
Just so you know Joe Mondello does not own Mondello performance anymore, and I would shy away from Mondello performance for any machine work. Joe does know Olds very well, met him at the drags one year and he's a hell of a nice guy. I think Steel could handle anything you need done.

· Haulina29
407 Posts
Bob Mc Kray you have got to be shittin me . He had a set of comp elimnator JR Fuel heads for me for a 3 months 2 longer than he said ,second of all he said they flowed 390 plus at 800 after Engler flowed them to the injector and told me they flowed 360 i sent them to Shaver and they flowed at the exact as Engler. Bob was also given the cam spec and low and behold the intake valves coilbound at 50 thou less than max lift WTF? Bob is a cool he didnt ask for a dime more than his quote missed his time frame by months all was cool until I had them flowed ..... If we hadnt checked everything we would have been screwed.... end of story

· Registered
8 Posts
No sense in going crazy with the heads if the rest of your build doesn't warrant it. I'd be glad to help if I can, but if all you want to do is a freshen up, it'll probably be less expensive to have it done locally, but be sure to find a reputable shop. It doesn't take much to mess up a set of otherwise decent heads.

well said!!!

· Large Member
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spoke w/ Dr. J this morning & dropping the heads off to him tomorrow. We went over the engine specs & he told me what I needed. Told me we could go more radical, but there really isnt a need to, since the bottom end & cam are just mild.

Thanks again for the help. Always getting great info here!!!!!:)devil

· Premium Member
26,163 Posts
Kudos for taking them to someone will do the job right. Head work is an art unto itself. You will pay a little more, but it is worth every dime to get it done right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.