Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ordered and received a pair if baffles from eddie marine that go into ot rewarders.the center has a solid piece,my question is does anybody drill holes thru the plate? how much do they baffle?( will be running almost no water thru them,(there jet coated)and about how much power loss?

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
What is your goal with these? Is it to be baffled to a certain noise limit, or are you installing them to appear legal? I have the same thing and have used them on 2 different motors. One was a mild Olds with very little water and the other is a blown Chevy, always dry.

The Olds motor ran about 300 rpm lower with them while they were in. They also took the "pop"or "blap" out of the exhaust noise. You could almost hold a normal conversation without having to read lips. And they made the boat legal.

The blower motor: I drilled a few 3/8" holes in each plate to free up any restriction. Did it work? I'm finding even color throughout the plates and zero restriction. The noise is still kept down but its relative. If the noise dropped 5% in the Olds, its 5% in the Chevy, but the Chevy is a whole different animal and 20% louder than the Olds ever was.

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
I would go with well placed holes, but not so many holes that you make the metal thin and prone to fatigue where it bends fom heat and breaks rapidly. Start with 5 holes ion each plates and see what that gets you and go from there.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
I used both styles and all that i noticed was,...it make the engine sound like a "wounded VW":mad:
I still have them too, im considering getting rid of em!
Anyone interested PM me.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
I used both styles and all that i noticed was,...it make the engine sound like a "wounded VW":mad:
I still have them too, im considering getting rid of em!
Anyone interested PM me.
I'll take one set. How much?

Lots of old farts live along the river that I boat on, and they don't like all the noise. Bad was banned from the river about 15 or 20 years ago lol.:D

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
I'll take one set. How much?

Lots of old farts live along the river that I boat on, and they don't like all the noise. Bad was banned from the river about 15 or 20 years ago lol.:D
I have had a few phone calls on the two sets i have,...i'll let ya know tomorrow!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Same as we (and almost everyone else) sells advertized is for 8 to 10 db reduction (but ALOT depends on ALOT,inches ,compression etc ) A '02 Silverado with a 2 stage flow masters measured close to 100 db for comparison , Better have them than not (in Ca ) ! My 02 :D Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts