Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How Thick should my header flange be to support a turbo.I am referring to the flange that bolts to the head. This is for a twin turbo deal and I am looking to puchase some laser cut flanges. Checking out the websites and some are 3/8, some 5/16. Looking for 304 stainless. Thanks,DEL51

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
How Thick should my header flange be to support a turbo.I am referring to the flange that bolts to the head. This is for a twin turbo deal and I am looking to puchase some laser cut flanges. Checking out the websites and some are 3/8, some 5/16. Looking for 304 stainless. Thanks,DEL51
I use 1/2" on both the head and T6 turbo flange.
That gives enough width to weld the tubes to the inside of the flange. I feel that keeps the warpage down. Also that leaves enough material in case you want to take a skin cut on a mill later.

I've bought flanges from a few sources and found Stainless Works to have the best ones but their not the cheapest. Even after their laser cut you still have to work the bolt holes over with a carbide burr.

I bought the tubing from other sources.
Tube Bending & Fabrication - Columbia River Mandrel Bending
Stainless Headers Mfg., Inc. fabricates custom headers in stainless and mild steel

When you're fitting it up you will need to bolt the flanges to something flat or it will be real warped up.

You also will want to inert gas purge the tubes before and during final welding.

Give me a call 616 813 7237

1 - 4 of 4 Posts