Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you guys that run your headers dry for long runs down the river ever burn up your header gaskets ? I used to run water to the pipes on the last motor but not this one. Is this normal when running them dry ? I didn't use any silicone on the gaskets, just ran the ones Bassett supplied. I started to hear a little exhaust leak over the weekend and I don't have that much time on these gaskets. Motor doesn't run hot, and it wasn't a valve train noise because I lashed the valves today and they were fine. I do run the boat for long runs, not just 1/4 passes. Last thing to add, I have the water injection lines plumbed into the headers and they are not attached to water lines or plugged off....could this be a problem ?? Should I plug them off ??

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I run the plain ol felpro metal deals, like for a stock exaust manifold. If your runnin them paper ones , kill the guy that gave em to ya.:(:( You will get alot of answers here alot of guys just sillycone em. Just re-read your post when I said silicone I meant no gasket.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
I probably drive like you .... long runs. I use the black felpro gaskets, after the first little run you will want to go ever them again when they are cold. No problems here. What gaskets came with the headers?

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bolts where good and tight. I went over them every time I ran the boat. They were good gaskets too, I need to look again to read the brand but they were not the cheap paper kind. Kind of weird ??????

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Wayne nice talking with you on Saturday. That's one nice Ford you have there :)devil Great detail work you did on the boat too.

I used to blow gaskets out alot; switched to just using High Temp RTV gasket maker. I think I now have the RTV Ultra Black. I can't say it has never blown out on me but nothing like the gaskets use to.

You may also want to use studs with brass nuts, they don't back off. On the gasket maker you can put it on wet or put a nice bead on the header and let it sit for 1-2 hrs and then put it on. Either way has worked for me.

Lastley, the gaskets use to blow out on long NOS passes the high temp gasket maker is much tougher.

Sleeper CP

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
no water in my pipes and my gaskets are two years old and still seal tight.

check to make sure the two mating surfaces are straight. warped header flange will kill gaskets.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
I was killing header gaskets every trip, i run my headers wet. My flange was warped at the top of each exh port. If you find yours warped and cant find a place to surface them let me know, i searched all over the place and finally found a place local to me to do them, Only made two trips on them but so far so good, i used to blow out the gasket in one day!

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice guys

Sleeper-
It was good talking to ya. Wish I could of made it down on Sunday but I was pretty worked from being there all week and had alot of packing to do. I really didn't feel like running the boat when I started hearing the leak either.

Cyclone-
I didn't check to see if the header flange was warped.....brand new pipes. I will check tomorrow. That would make alot of sense, and could be done w/ it. You heading out to BR on Labor Day ?

Shaun-
If thats the case, I'll shoot you a pm if I can't just fix it myself. Thanks alot

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
i run dry upswepts with copper oring embossed gaskets from summit racing, their 2.25 round gaskets are only 29.95:)devil reuseable and there's is nfw you can blow 1 out.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
I'm glad someone else asked the question because I was getting ready to ask the same question. I trip out, maybe 4 or so hours, and a blown header gasket. Engine was running hot. I was thinking of using the summit copper deals and I'm going with that. I'll let you know how it goes but it might take a while for the reply. Header flanges are slightly warped.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Sleeper-
It was good talking to ya. Wish I could of made it down on Sunday but I was pretty worked from being there all week and had alot of packing to do. I really didn't feel like running the boat when I started hearing the leak either.

Cyclone-
I didn't check to see if the header flange was warped.....brand new pipes. I will check tomorrow. That would make alot of sense, and could be done w/ it. You heading out to BR on Labor Day ?

Shaun-
If thats the case, I'll shoot you a pm if I can't just fix it myself. Thanks alot

Si. we'll be there.

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
I'm glad someone else asked the question because I was getting ready to ask the same question. I trip out, maybe 4 or so hours, and a blown header gasket. Engine was running hot. I was thinking of using the summit copper deals and I'm going with that. I'll let you know how it goes but it might take a while for the reply. Header flanges are slightly warped.
If your blowing them out that fast your flager is proably as bad as mine was... I went through 5-6 sets of header gaskets before i finally found a place to surface htem. Doubt your going to find a gasket that isnt going to blow, the surfaces need to be true. Mine was so bad that when the gasket would blow i would get lean back fires out the exhaust!

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
If you can't get the flange milled flat you can also cut the flange between cylinders ( Band Saw) or even a hacksaw if you have the time. It will isolate the warped one and it won't be so bad.

Been there done that 20 yrs back. Shit I'm getting old.

Sleeper CP :D

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
My headers have the flange cut between the cylinders, I was kind of thinking that's why they are cut like that.

So many experienced opinions... what to choose... :)sphss

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
:)devil:)devil

You've all seen pictures of an engine on a dyno with the headers glowing red, well that's what our endurance dyno's will look like for hours at a time. And they last through several endurance runs (2,000,000+ cycles each).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts