Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok what are you using, i bought the fel pro marine gaskets and on the #2 cyl i can see where i blew the gasket out. Is this normal? I can also see other areas where the exhaust is getting by on other cylinders. They are not sealing very well. I'm sure the header flang is probably alittle warped, they headers are 15+ years old.

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
Chevy, Ford, Olds ????? Headers or logs? If logs and they are very old they probably could have lost their heat treat at the flange and are warped.

·
Registered
417 Posts
im using rimflex gaskets they are a crush style, i have never had a leak with them.

·
Registered
436 Posts
J&M Speed Center in Riverside had "Bison" header gaskets years ago. I've had them on my boat for years with no issues.

I can't find much about "Bison" on the internet though... :mad:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I don't use gaskets....not needed if the surfaces are flat.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Chevy header gaskets were too small to mate properly to my Lightnings. Blew right arround the ring on at least 5 cylinders.

Red RTV, let set up about a week, and installed. Works perfectly.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Chevy header gaskets were too small to mate properly to my Lightnings. Blew right arround the ring on at least 5 cylinders.

Red RTV, let set up about a week, and installed. Works perfectly.
RTV high temp, I now use black, looks better. Never have had a leak in over 15 yrs. of not using gaskets. I have never worried about it setting up for any more than a few hours. It even handles the Nitrous passes just fine.

Also don't know how much it helps, but I use studs and brass nuts on the exhaust. They don't back off.

Sleeper CP :D

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Didnt know RTV works for exhaust, seams like the high temps would kill it.
Permatex "Ultra Black" Hi-Temp silicone gasket maker.

Sleeper CP :D

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
They are basset OT headers on a BBC.

Cometic makes header gaskets? Didnt know that.

I'm sure the header flange is warped, these headers are 15+ years old.

Didnt know RTV works for exhaust, seams like the high temps would kill it.

if they are warped you might want to have them surfaced

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
That's funny, I was going to say RTV also but thought you guys would give me a hard time!!! RTV rules!!!

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
We used RTV for years in Cup racing and it works very well, but just like gaskets it need 2 flat surfaces. The only reason we got away from it is our little engines are very sensative around the exhaust port and a little squirted in there during tightening could impact performance. This impact is VERY small, but on some of the tracks we race on 3hp is about a tenth of a second!
Upon dissassembly the silicone would still be hanging in the exhaust port edges. Very tough stuff!!!
We now use the Cometic type gasket to get away from this, but no matter what you use, flat flanges and mating surfaces are key.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts