Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Retired Air Force
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever clamped or welded a set of Gibson bullet or similar muffler to a set of open over transom headers? If so can you post pics?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Bassett Racing makes a nice stainless muffler that fit in the collector, held in with one 1/4" bolt, have to be lighter an add on Gibson. Any reason your leaning toward the Gibsons?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Retired Air Force
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have run inserts before and they just don’t come close tobeing legal in my state. Trying to avoid being hassled or getting a ticket. On the other hand I want it to look nice too and keep a much hp as possible.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
No ball kicking here but I think what GN-7 posted are thru transom shot guns with a slip in muffler! I have a set of slip in mufflers for a Basset 4" collector collecting dust in my garage which I take to parker to stop the leo hassle! I love elsinore, no noise restrictions at all! That came from the local water cop as he was writing me for coming out of the cove alittle early and hot on the peddle. My fault 100% Mark

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I have run inserts before and they just don’t come close tobeing legal in my state. Trying to avoid being hassled or getting a ticket. On the other hand I want it to look nice too and keep a much hp as possible.
Is this new? I could get a 4" to 5" adapter? or buy new headers?
No ball kicking here but I think what GN-7 posted are thru transom shot guns with a slip in muffler! I have a set of slip in mufflers for a Basset 4" collector collecting dust in my garage which I take to parker to stop the leo hassle! I love elsinore, no noise restrictions at all! That came from the local water cop as he was writing me for coming out of the cove alittle early and hot on the peddle. My fault 100% Mark
If it wasn't so sad, this wood oalmost be comical. How come Sarge gets it?
I am very aware of what I posted and so is the Sarge. I simpy posted it as an idea. I guess what, he gerts it.
There ase alot of places that the cheap Bassettt insert will not pass and I was pretty sure with the monster he runs that was the problem. Nothing is ever easy, and sometinmes you need tom think outside the box. If he wants to run those, he knows what he needs to do. It was simply posted as an idea he could apply to his situation.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
northern member
602 Posts
another one a little more than those and not a clamp-on is the borla . quietest i've heard and the sound is very tuned which is probably why there so quiet .

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yep, I have those on my 1100 hp big Chevy in my 55 Chevy drag car. Extemely quiet. And look awesome. Spendy but last forever.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
years ago, i bought a pair of 13" burns mufflers. stripped the bassets, ceramic coated the headers and mufflers. collectors are cut off and set up to bolt the mufflers on.
at idle up to about 3000 rpm, it's much quieter than anything else. basset inserts don't even come close. quiet might not be the right word - but much more mellow and toned down, like a couple glasspacks in the old days. but going down the track, they "seem" almost as loud as open exhaust.

the quietest i've heard is a set of the 20" borlas. years ago, there was a guy with a little hydro that would sometimes come to ming. he had a pair of upswepts with those borlas on. at idle, you could just hear it. going down the track, it was really quiet. the boat wasn't anything radical, but he could pick up a couple tenths going to open headers.

i've never been hassled with the burns mufflers, but if i had it to do over again, i would have gotten the longer burns (they made 2 sizes). if i were going to get anything other than that, it would be the 20" borlas. cut the collector so it's only 4" beyond the merge, and add the borlas and it'll be just fine. it'll be quieter than anything else on the water...

·
Distinguished Member
5,772 Posts
....at idle up to about 3000 rpm, it's much quieter than anything else. basset inserts don't even come close. quiet might not be the right word - but much more mellow and toned down, like a couple glasspacks in the old days. but going down the track, they "seem" almost as loud as open exhaust..
Back when top level NHRA pro stock cars were running around 7.0's, I drove a "wanna be" PS car that ran 7.50's long enough to get a license. That car had the Borla collector mufflers and like BP's example, at idle up to a few thousand RPM, pretty quiet. On the chip or WOT, didn't seem that much quieter than without mufflers. Outside the car, it seemed to have a different tone, but wasn't much quieter.
That was also about the time I started getting asked to do more acoustic testing/analysis in my day job. As time went on, it became clear to me there really is no way to effectively quite anything with big HP without hurting HP... a LOT. To reduce noise you either have to absorb it (packing and the like) or contain it (like a box around it) or let it disipate naturally/artifically (distance/reflective canceling, etc), or focus it in a different direction (sound walls on freeways and upswept headers on boats). The more noise there is (higher HP...not actully HP but air flow), the harder it is to do. About the best you can do on a boat with an open motor/headers today is the Borla's on a set up upswept headers. Keep your foot out of it around po-po and you got a chance.
Around here, it's more about looking legal than being legal. Bubbletops slip ins, when combined with water, help more than expected (helps his is a pump gas deal with 10-1 CR) keep 5-0 at bay. If you actually have to pass a noise standard like we do with our flattrackers, it's a bigger issue.
As a side note, the dyno I use now a days has a pretty good muffler system. Collectors into BIG pipes into a couple mufflers the size of 55 gallon drums. First time I heard a race motor without the exhaust noise, I was surprised at the clamety going on when you don't hear the exhaust!! A blown alky motor is darn near terrifying when you first hear it on good mufflers.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
That's what I have. They took a good bit of the bark out of the motor. 13.5:1 with 27x 28x at .050 over .720 lift definately sounded good before but I wanted to be legal wherever I decide to go.
Cool, thanks for the reply. Do you have a pic?...curious how you attached and what the overall look is. Last time out (fall) I hit a new lake and every one was complimentary but also heard the comment "your pretty loud" more than once. Looking at heading off the noise issue before going back.

Starting the season in the new lightweight Canyon pretty sure there will be more boat than driver at least for a while so a few HP dosent bug me too much yet:))eek:))

1 - 20 of 29 Posts